Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Derail from Orthodox Anathema Service on Christology

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Derail from Orthodox Anathema Service on Christology

. . . begotten of the Father before all ages. . . .

How is this part of that creed not extra Biblical? What Holy Scriptures is it based?

Now I agree that the only-begotten Son was not begotten and not made being the one and the same God with His Father, not being the same Persons in being the one and the same God.

Reason being that God is not begotten and not made.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post

How is this part of that creed not extra Biblical? What Holy Scriptures is it based?

Now I agree that the only-begotten Son was not begotten and not made being the one and the same God with His Father, not being the same Persons in being the one and the same God.

If memory services, this is one of the differences between Orthodox and Western Christology. I believe this week this difference provoked a debate after ISIS executed some Orthodox Christians and some US Christians questioned with the Orthodox are really Christian or not.

For the record, I recognize Orthodox Christians has being Christian.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

My time to be on TWeb is unpredictable. It may take a few days for me to see your post and respond.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

I would say Hebrews 1:3 gives pretty strong support for the doctrine of the eternal generation of the Son:

Source: Hebrews 1:3 HCSB

3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact expression of His nature, sustaining all things by His powerful word. After making purification for sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.

© Copyright Original Source

The footnotes for the HSCB translation of this verse at biblegateway.com gives the following alternatives for the word 'expression' in Heb 1:3;

Representation, copy or reproduction.

But in any case, if this verse is interpreted literally, then the Son, by virtue of being the expression, copy or reproduction of the Fathers nature must owe his eternal existence to the father, by logical necessity. If the Son is not begotten of the Father, but exists self-sufficiently, then he cannot be said to be the expression of God's/the Father's nature in any meaningful sense.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    If memory services, this is one of the differences between Orthodox and Western Christology
    No, not really. Lutherans believe that the Son is begotten of the Father aswell, and I'm pretty certain Anglicans do as well. Roman Catholics definitely believe in the eternal generation of the Son. I'm not certain, but I would venture to say that the denial that the Son is begotten by the Father is mainly found in evangelical circles.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Father is not begotten, as he is the source of godhood in the Trinity, but He communicates this divinity in eternity to both the Son and the Spirit.

6. Amen One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Also, I would add that if you hold to the teaching that the Son is the Wisdom of the Father (which there is plenty of support for), then the teaching of the eternal generation of the Son follows logically from that.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Pretty much all Trinitarians I know accept the Christological pronouncements from the first six Ecumenical Councils (of course, it's the seventh one the outcome of which we celebrated today).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

9. Amen 37818 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Broman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Filioque!

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post

Filioque!

That's what you get when you unilaterally alter something.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I would say Hebrews 1:3 gives pretty strong support for the doctrine of the eternal generation of the Son:

Source: Hebrews 1:3 HCSB

3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact expression of His nature, sustaining all things by His powerful word. After making purification for sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.

© Copyright Original Source

The footnotes for the HSCB translation of this verse at biblegateway.com gives the following alternatives for the word 'expression' in Heb 1:3;

Representation, copy or reproduction.

But in any case, if this verse is interpreted literally, then the Son, by virtue of being the expression, copy or reproduction of the Fathers nature must owe his eternal existence to the father, by logical necessity. If the Son is not begotten of the Father, but exists self-sufficiently, then he cannot be said to be the expression of God's/the Father's nature in any meaningful sense.
    No. The only-begotten Son meaning He is the expression of God and His very nature of being God, not being begotten or made in order to be the Son of God.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    The Father is not begotten, as he is the source of godhood in the Trinity, but He communicates this divinity in eternity to both the Son and the Spirit.
    So not being begotten or made being They are the One God.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.