Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Derail from Orthodox Anathema Service on Christology

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Did I compliment you, or was it an insult? The world might never know.
    Or you could just tell me.
    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    Or you could just tell me.
    No.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No.
    Nevermind, sorry for dragging this off topic.
    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    Nevermind, sorry for dragging this off topic.
    Yeah, I might have gotten a bit too carried away aswell.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Did you mean to say: "He is the Only Begotten Son, which means He (The Son) is the expression of God (The Father?) and His (The Son?) very nature as being God (The Trinity?). He was not begotten, or made, in order to be the Son of God."
    Yes.

I've added some place where your use of pronouns becomes confusing when discussing God as Trinity.
    The Trinity is an explanation of God and the persons, God the Father, the Son of God and the Holy Spirit. Not at issue. Rather alleging the Son was begotten of the Father before creation. Which has no Biblical support that I know of.
    As it is, this is a statement, in fact just a repetition of your original point. I'm with Adrift on this. Denying that Christ proceeds from the Father, is to deny an important aspect of the nature of the Trinity. We're not saying that there was a point where The Son did not exist, and after which He came into existence. We're saying that He is eternally proceeding from the Father.
    Again, the Trinity explanation, One God and three Persons who are that One God, is not at issue here. Rather, God is not begotten, therefore the only-begotten Son who is God with His Father being co-eternal is also not begotten to be the Son.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    Rather, God is not begotten, therefore the only-begotten Son who is God with His Father being co-eternal is also not begotten to be the Son.
    How is someone who is called 'the only-begotten son not identifiable as begotten?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Son is begotten in eternity, . . .
    Where does God's word teache this?
    . . . but not created.
    The only-begotten is the uncaused, not begotten, cause of creation.
    The expressions "expression of God" and "radiance of God's glory" points to this.
    Got Scripture?

If the Son and the Spírit is the source of Their own godhood it would seem that there are not one God, but three.
    There is only the One God. The Persons who are that One God are co-eternal, therefore are unbegotten being that One God.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    How is someone who is called 'the only-begotten son not identifiable as begotten?
    Only-begotten is the parental relationship not His becoming the Son.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    Only-begotten is the parental relationship not His becoming the Son.
    I think you're misinterpreting the passage you're disputing. The people who accepted that phrase as part of the Creed most definitely do not believe that Jesus became the Son.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

10. Amen Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I think you're misinterpreting the passage you're disputing. The people who accepted that phrase as part of the Creed most definitely do not believe that Jesus became the Son.
    I am not misinterpting, I understand that interpretation. It simply is not Biblical at all. At issue is not the eternal second Person of the Trinity. But like the term "Trinity," the terminology "the eternal Son," while Biblical, those terms are not used in Holy Scripture. I believe in the eternal Sonship.
    See this article: https://bbhchurchconnection.wordpres...ship-of-jesus/
    Last edited by 37818; 03-03-2015 at 01:46 AM.