Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ham/Nye debate!

tWebber
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The Ham/Nye debate!

I'm surprised not to see a thread on this; even Facebook was reminding me that it was "trending" among my friends. Yesterday, Bill Nye "the Science Guy" debated Ken Ham at the Creation Museum. I didn't watch the debate, but Al Mohler's wrap-up on it summarizes what I would have expected to have happened: http://www.albertmohler.com/2014/02/...am-nye-debate/

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You missed this one.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The most lasting image in the public's view so far seems to be the respective answers to the "What would make you change your mind?" question, with Nye answering "evidence" and Ham answering "nothing". 1 Corinthians 15:14 makes clear that even the resurrection is, in theory, falsifiable (I don't think it really can be falsified, obviously, since it really happened, but you get my point). Since Paul will even admit that, what does it say that Ham puts a non-essential belief up as non-falsifiable? This answer is rightly being mocked as foolish, and is not a good representation of Christianity as intellectually viable.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Okay, I haven't watched the thing but if the whole debate boils down to what theorhetically would change their minds they both wasted their time. The merits of a debate should be in its meat - the points/counterpoints and evidence referenced. Sounds like a poor moderator, just based on the tiny bit here.

tWebber
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    You missed this one.
    Ah. I don't visit that forum.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I would have intentionally missed that debate. But missed it instead by default. Am also ignoring "accounts of."

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The debaters really needed to be given a period where they were allowed to directly ask questions of the other debater. The were a number of questions that both of them asked the other, but neither were given the opportunity to answer them.
    "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

tWebber
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I would have intentionally missed that debate. But missed it instead by default. Am also ignoring "accounts of."
    Alrighty then! Thanks for contributing.

9. Amen The Remonstrant amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soyeong View Post
    The debaters really needed to be given a period where they were allowed to directly ask questions of the other debater. The were a number of questions that both of them asked the other, but neither were given the opportunity to answer them.
    I agree; lack of actual debate is a failing in many modern "debates" which are really just traded prepared speeches. But speakers know that their prepared remarks will generally be more eloquent than their extemporaneous ones, so everybody sticks carefully to scripts.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, even a lot of my YEC friends thought this debate was a joke... I watched it yesterday on YT. Much more convenient when you need to hammer notes and/or take a leak.

My biggest problem with Ham was the fact that- like KG said- he said nothing would change his mind about the Age of the Earth and the Origin of Species. Another one to tack on is the fact that he kept citing scripture to back up his point (especially since Nye- and probably a chunk of the audience- obviously doesn't adhere to Scripture as an Authority), instead of providing scientific evidence to show the tenability of his model (which is, you know, kind of the point of the debate and something that Nye holds as authoritative). I do have to give him credit, though, for pointing out some legitimate scientists who are also YEC, yet have made contributions to the scientific community (which, IIRC, was something that Bill was trying to say isn't possible).

Don't get me wrong... Nye had some problems of his own. For one, he came off as Chronologically snobbish with regards to the story of Noah. Another problem is that he seemed incredibly naive about how science and scientists can function (they're not immune to internal/external politics and 'going where the grants are'). I was also just about ready to slap him through the computer monitor when he used the 'Telephone' game with regards to the authority of scripture (very unscientific of him, to say the least).

All in all... I probably should have taken a bracing shot of something before I watched it.
    Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'