Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ham/Nye debate!

tWebber
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What led Nye to choose Ham (if that's the case) to have this debate with? Is there any background info that placed these two together.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Didn't watch it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What led Nye to choose Ham (if that's the case) to have this debate with? Is there any background info that placed these two together.
    They're two very popular figureheads at what they do. Ham for YEC and Nye for popular science (especially since he was shown extensively in the classrooms I attended).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I dunno about Ham but Nye is a washed up has-been trying to jump start his long dead career. I guess he saw how popular Dawkins got and wanted a sweet piece of the rabidtheist pie.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Apparently Nye is on Dancing With The Stars too.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

tWebber
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManwŰ S˙limo View Post
    They're two very popular figureheads at what they do. Ham for YEC and Nye for popular science (especially since he was shown extensively in the classrooms I attended).
    I see, I don't know why but just thought Nye would want to debate a William Lane craig type apologetic

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You're assuming people are wanting an actual debate of ideas instead of a theatrical event of sound bites.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by princesa View Post
    I see, I don't know why but just thought Nye would want to debate a William Lane craig type apologetic
    Craig doesn't argue against evolution, and Nye's main point was to defend evolution in the public's eyes (because it is the main scientific concept that the public tends to have problems accepting). Nye wouldn't be interested in publicly going against Christianity by itself (and the other night he did allude to the fact that plenty of people do reconcile evolution with their faith).
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

tWebber
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Craig doesn't argue against evolution, and Nye's main point was to defend evolution in the public's eyes (because it is the main scientific concept that the public tends to have problems accepting). Nye wouldn't be interested in publicly going against Christianity by itself (and the other night he did allude to the fact that plenty of people do reconcile evolution with their faith).
    this makes more sense thanks

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by princesa View Post
    It all started when Bill Nye made some very uninformed remarks about parents teaching their children creationism. You can watch it on youtube. Ken Ham responded likewise in video format. You can watch that one on youtube as well. Anyway, the conflict between them snowballed, made a few headlines, and culminated in this debate. The topic of the debate was about whether or not creationism is a "viable" scientific theory. Essentially, Nye thinks that creationism means that you're incapable of contributing to society in any meaningful way. He says that you won't be able to create vaccines, invent machines, or understand technology at all. Honestly, he is very, very uninformed about creationism and has a very distorted view of what entails from a Biblical worldview.