Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Reasons for the sacking of Jerusalem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons for the sacking of Jerusalem

A while ago I encountered someone who thought that the Romans used the Zealot uprising as an excuse to sack Jerusalem in A.D. 70, and that Rome just "wanted to do that anyway."

The person who said this isn't a historian or scholar and I was curious if actual scholarship supported this contention at all.

I remember just recently reading something about this when I was looking at Titus --- I think I remember which commentary that was.

I'll come back when I find it.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The Romans sacked Jerusalem in 70 AD to fulfill prophecy from Jesus' own lips.

No other reason matters.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        The Romans sacked Jerusalem in 70 AD to fulfill prophecy from Jesus' own lips.

No other reason matters.
        Written sometime ~70 to 150 AD
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Written sometime ~70 to 150 AD
          Prophesied sometime ~30 - 33 AD
          We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

The Romans sacked Jerusalem because the Jews revolted, and Jerusalem was their holy city.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
              Prophesied sometime ~30 - 33 AD
              That oral teaching.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHat View Post
                That oral teaching.
                We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHat View Post
                  That oral teaching.
                  Yes it would seem to be given by Jesus by speaking it rather than, say, telepathicaly

Comment

Reply:

Originally posted by I am Ivo, hear me roar View Post
                    Reasons for the sacking of Jerusalem
                    A while ago I encountered someone who thought that the Romans used the Zealot uprising as an excuse to sack Jerusalem in A.D. 70, and that Rome just "wanted to do that anyway."

The person who said this isn't a historian or scholar and I was curious if actual scholarship supported this contention at all.
                    I would agree that the Romans would use any excuse to sack Jerusalem or any other place, as the Romans were brute beast of humanity who lived by the sword and the Romans were cruel and barbaric in the extreme.

Even if the Zealots were just a small gang or only a few rebels then Rome would still be happy to sack Jerusalem for any reason.

They looted the place and took the gold and treasures which was always a motivation for the Roman military machine.

Of course every person had to know that, so the Zealots knew that Rome would respond with extreme violence.

Even taking the fortress of Masada was an insane or desperate act because Rome was never going to let any opposition to hold Masada.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X