Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Indiana's governor signs bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    In other news, a similar law was passed in Illinois in 1998, and you'll never guess who voted for it:

Barrack Hussien Obama

Compare the texts. Not the same. It's either ignorant or disingenuous to pretend the laws or the intent behind them are remotely similar.
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Compare the texts. Not the same. It's either ignorant or disingenuous to pretend the laws or the intent behind them are remotely similar.
      Oh, of course.

Source: Washington Post

In broad strokes, the Indiana and Illinois laws are similar. But there are a couple of important differences, and whether those are important can depend on the legal expert you consult.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...cked-by-obama/

© Copyright Original Source

But they're not "remotely similar". Yeah, O.K.
      Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-31-2015, 10:54 AM.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Looks like Governor Pence is buckling under the pressure and is asking for "clarification" in the form of a rewritten religious protection law that won't actually protect religion. As one conservative put it, "Pence is being forced to change the law to put a thumb on the scale — to change a neutral balancing test so that the gay rights lobby always gets to win."

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ia-blitzkrieg/

Comment

• The Pink Gestapo strikes again. Tolerance!!!!! ...as long as you agree with them.

tumblr_n89am7vKLK1sjx9vwo1_r1_500.jpg

Comment

Oh, of course.

Source: Washington Post

In broad strokes, the Indiana and Illinois laws are similar. But there are a couple of important differences, and whether those are important can depend on the legal expert you consult.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...cked-by-obama/

© Copyright Original Source

But they're not "remotely similar". Yeah, O.K.

Read the texts: what's relevant to this discussion isn't similar and what's similar isn't relevant. Indiana's RFRA, unlike Illinois' RFRA codifies corporations (not even closely-held corporations, if I remember right) as 'persons' under this RFRA and, more importantly, makes the RFRA a legal defense even when the government isn't a party to the suit.

So, yeah, not remotely similar. Read the texts and work on understanding the context rather than whatever the talking points happen to be.
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Looks like Governor Pence is buckling under the pressure and is asking for "clarification" in the form of a rewritten religious protection law that won't actually protect religion. As one conservative put it, "Pence is being forced to change the law to put a thumb on the scale — to change a neutral balancing test so that the gay rights lobby always gets to win."

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ia-blitzkrieg/
              The clarification will state that discrimination based on sexual orientation is not allowed:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/31/politi...ion/index.html

I'm not sure how it's possible to read that into the bill without outright repealing it.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                The clarification will state that discrimination based on sexual orientation is not allowed:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/31/politi...ion/index.html

I'm not sure how it's possible to read that into the bill without outright repealing it.
                $5 on the clarification being non-binding or only pertaining to government actions. That's the only way I can think of achieving both the goal of the law, which is to allow discrimination based on sexual orientation by private parties, and the political goal, which is to distance Pence and others from the first goal.

Comment

$5 on the clarification being non-binding or only pertaining to government actions. That's the only way I can think of achieving both the goal of the law, which is to allow discrimination based on sexual orientation by private parties, and the political goal, which is to distance Pence and others from the first goal.
                  The goal is to prevent gays from forcing you to cater to their wedding. It's no more "discrimination" than refusing to pick cotton for free.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• By definition, discrimination is treating people differently. The term itself is inherently neutral; consider "price discrimination" in economics. One can support the law and freely admit that it permits discrimination (and that this is a good thing).
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      By definition, discrimination is treating people differently. The term itself is inherently neutral; consider "price discrimination" in economics. One can support the law and freely admit that it permits discrimination (and that this is a good thing).
                      That definition is not the one commonly used in these issues though.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

...the goal of the law, which is to allow discrimination based on sexual orientation by private parties...

That's not the goal of the law, and saying it is is as big a lie as "Hands up, don't shoot!" In fact, the law makes zero reference to sexual orientation. The goal of the law (at least the original goal before Pence asked for "clarification") was to give practitioners of religion a legal defense in the event they were sued for refusing to compromise their core values.

Comment

Read the texts: what's relevant to this discussion isn't similar and what's similar isn't relevant.
                          Of course it's not.

This is a very typical of you. Whenever you're proven wrong, you suddenly declare those facts "not relevant" and carry on like you haven't been refuted. It's all rather amusing, not to mention disingenious.

Comment

Of course it's not.

This is a very typical of you. Whenever you're proven wrong, you suddenly declare those facts "not relevant" and carry on like you haven't been refuted. It's all rather amusing, not to mention disingenious.
                            Again, read the texts. If you have a refutation that pertains to what we're talkin' about here, you haven't yet put it forth. Referencing Illinois' RFRA as though it were remotely similar to Indiana's RFRA in terms of what we're discussing (hint: think wedding bells, not peyote) is either showing ignorance or disingenuous thought, as I wrote.

Comment

That's not the goal of the law, and saying it is is as big a lie as "Hands up, don't shoot!" In fact, the law makes zero reference to sexual orientation. The goal of the law (at least the original goal before Pence asked for "clarification") was to give practitioners of religion a legal defense in the event they were sued for refusing to compromise their core values.
                              "Refusing to compromise on their core values" ... by discriminating against same-sex couples. Yup.

Comment

Again, read the texts. If you have a refutation that pertains to what we're talkin' about here, you haven't yet put it forth. Referencing Illinois' RFRA as though it were remotely similar to Indiana's RFRA in terms of what we're discussing (hint: think wedding bells, not peyote) is either showing ignorance or disingenuous thought, as I wrote.
                                Of course you're the one who thinks the Indiana law was written with the specific goal to discriminate against homosexuals, so if you want to talk about ignorance then be my guest.

Comment