Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Indiana's governor signs bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    It makes perfect sense if we understand that the RFRA has become (thanks to AZ and HL, in part) extremely polarized. It's not that Indiana's RFRA is totally new ... it's that the use of the RFRA in recent years is totally new. It's being utilized (or arguments very close to the RFRA are being utilized) as defense for discriminatory practices in businesses.

Folks paying attention to these events aren't crazy for looking at passage of a RFRA in a conservative state in 2015 and getting alarmed. The passage of a RFRA in 2000 or even 2010 just wasn't the same thing.

Personally, I don't think there's much doubt that Pence signed this RFRA as a way to boost his Conservative credentials. In that respect, we can't argue that it makes political sense from the Right but makes no political sense from the Left.
    I wish I could see this the way you do. I really do. I don't like being this angry.

Have there been any instances in these other states of people invoking RFRA in the way they say Indiana's RFRA will allow?
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
      The proper response to the news story is: Wow, some people really hate the 1st Amendment!

I see nothing in the text of the law that references gay people or being nasty to them. It seems to only reaffirm (weakly) the Free Exercise clause of the 1st Amendment. What error do you see in it?
      You're dealing with somebody that seriously aruged that anybody that disagrees with gay marriage should be silenced and have their 1st amendment rights stripped from them. Yeah, he hates freedom of speech or religion. His own words and arguments have exposed that much.
      Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-29-2015, 08:14 AM.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

As long as the bill operates within the context of the Supreme Court's decision regarding Hobby Lobby, I don't have a problem with it. A private company with religious owners should be allowed to discriminate based on their beliefs.

Personally, I tend to avoid doing business with companies that have religious discriminatory policies.
        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
          As long as the bill operates within the context of the Supreme Court's decision regarding Hobby Lobby, I don't have a problem with it. A private company with religious owners should be allowed to discriminate based on their beliefs.

Personally, I tend to avoid doing business with companies that have religious discriminatory policies.
          Would you consider Christmas Day holiday a religiously discriminatory policy? Just curious.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Would you consider Christmas Day holiday a religiously discriminatory policy? Just curious.
            Nope. Holidays are cool.
            Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
              I wish I could see this the way you do. I really do. I don't like being this angry.

Have there been any instances in these other states of people invoking RFRA in the way they say Indiana's RFRA will allow?
              Arizona's SB1062, a bill to enact a state RFRA, was directly in response to the Elaine Photography v. Willock case. The Colorado baker who refused to serve a same-sex couple argued that doing so was against his religious beliefs. CO doesn't have a RFRA but that would absolutely have been used by any competent lawyer were it in the state code.

I wouldn't be angry over this: Indiana's RFRA is almost certainly an offshoot of the same-sex marriage debate and fears of religious Conservatives that they'll be implicated in something foreign and icky. Give it ten years and all this will look downright provincial.
              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

It is literally impossible for a local school to violate the constitutional provision on establishment since the establishment clause only applies properly to Congress, and I'm not aware of any prominent cases involving schools in which the free exercise clause was more at issue than establishment.
                There are plenty of well-respected professionals in the legal field who would disagree with you about incorporation, and I have seen no reason to believe you are correct over them. The free exercise clause can be violated when participation in religious acts is mandatory. The establishment clause comes into issue when the acts are voluntary or represent endorsement.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                  There are plenty of well-respected professionals in the legal field who would disagree with you about incorporation, and I have seen no reason to believe you are correct over them. The free exercise clause can be violated when participation in religious acts is mandatory. The establishment clause comes into issue when the acts are voluntary or represent endorsement.
                  They're wrong, and if you have the patience to listen, I can prove it.

Comment

Arizona's SB1062, a bill to enact a state RFRA, was directly in response to the Elaine Photography v. Willock case. The Colorado baker who refused to serve a same-sex couple argued that doing so was against his religious beliefs. CO doesn't have a RFRA but that would absolutely have been used by any competent lawyer were it in the state code.
                    Those are not refusals to serve a person on account of sexual orientation, but on account of the proprietor's belief about the nature of marriage.

I wouldn't be angry over this: Indiana's RFRA is almost certainly an offshoot of the same-sex marriage debate and fears of religious Conservatives that they'll be implicated in something foreign and icky. Give it ten years and all this will look downright provincial.
                    In ten years, I'll probably not be looking back fondly on the mob mentality, or the vicious and disproportionate response it produced. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

Comment

Those are not refusals to serve a person on account of sexual orientation, but on account of the proprietor's belief about the nature of marriage.
                      Tomato/Tomato, if you're asking for reasons why same-sex marriage proponents would see Indiana's RFRA as a vehicle for discrimination. If you're asking for examples of how the RFRA could be used in the way being portrayed by those opposed to it, those are pretty clear examples.

In ten years, I'll probably not be looking back fondly on the mob mentality, or the vicious and disproportionate response it produced. These people should be ashamed of themselves.
                      We disagree on the viciousness and proportionality of the response. What I've been telling equality proponents is to frame the issue this way: in 2004, the Bush administration successfully tied its GOTV effort in key states to same-sex marriage bans. Ten years later and such efforts are not only destined to fail but even lesser efforts to codify the ability to discriminate against same-sex couples is kickin' up a right storm ... and not just from "the Left" but from big businesses. The arc is definitely bending toward equality.

A big part of this mess is Pence et al's effort to pretend that this isn't about same-sex marriage and homosexuality. I had a discussion yesterday with a fellow who expressed frustration that critics of the law "didn't understand it" and that it wouldn't allow for discrimination based on sexual orientation, using an IU law professor's article in IndyStar as evidence. I went through the history, the recent use of RFRA (or similar arguments) and how Indiana's RFRA does strengthen, rather than weaken, existing discriminatory practices. In the end, my friend said that the "heart of the issue" was the right to discriminate based on religious belief!

To recap, he started out arguing that folks who thought this law could be used to discriminate against gay folks were misunderstanding the law and ended up agreeing that the law could be used to discriminate against gay folks and the heart of the issue was that such discrimination is the right policy. It's that kinda of cognitive dissonance that allowed the law to pass in the first place and people employing it (e.g., Pence) deserve every bit of public outrage they're getting.
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

They're wrong, and if you have the patience to listen, I can prove it.
                        Sure.

Comment

Shame on Governor Pence for refusing to answer six point blank questions about what the bill meant. After the sixth time of being asked if it would allow florists to refuse to service gay weddings, he just said "We don't believe in discrimination".

It sounds like he's trying to convince the public that the bill doesn't mean what it clearly says, and rightly, nobody is having it. Have a spine and stand up for what you believe.

http://www.wthr.com/story/28641811/i...discrimination
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Shame on Governor Pence for refusing to answer six point blank questions about what the bill meant. After the sixth time of being asked if it would allow florists to refuse to service gay weddings, he just said "We don't believe in discrimination".

It sounds like he's trying to convince the public that the bill doesn't mean what it clearly says, and rightly, nobody is having it. Have a spine and stand up for what you believe.

http://www.wthr.com/story/28641811/i...discrimination
                            He should just say "Yes, it allows florists to deny homosexuals trying to force them to provide services for a wedding, but not to individuals who come in to the business to buy flowers"
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              He should just say "Yes, it allows florists to deny homosexuals trying to force them to provide services for a wedding, but not to individuals who come in to the business to buy flowers"
                              It potentially allows that, too, given a sincere religious belief.

Comment

It potentially allows that, too, given a sincere religious belief.
                                Unless someone comes in and announces they are homosexual, how can the business owner really know? I just don't see that happening, or the shop owner being able to justify it.
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment