Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ted Cruz signs on to ObamaCare!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Because if he didn't he would be violating the law. Since he announced his intent to run for president his wife, who is pretty high up at the global investing banking firm Goldman Sachs, announced that she would be taking a leave of absence. Until then they received coverage through Goldman Sachs but now they no longer were covered.

So they signed up for Obamacare in order to abide by the law because, whether you disagree with it or not, it is still the law.

I guess you would prefer that he ignored the law so you could start a thread about how Cruz is a contemptuous scofflaw.
    Wrong. Members of Congress are not compelled to enroll in the exchange, they are perfectly free to purchase their Insurance in the private market. Of course if they do so they won't recieve the Government contribution. And by the way, there is no fine for purchasing his insurance outside of the exchange. I guess he just wants the Government subsidy that he doesn't want his constituents to have. What a guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Last I read, Cruz said he "assumed" that he would be using the exchanges and was "transitioning to do just that" or something very similar. I can guarantee that he won't keep his kids unprotected -- he's an ideologue but he's not stupid.
      So, I think this is a bit premature. Obamacare is not his only option.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Yup. That's what I said in my first post.
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

No it isn't, its just the one he likes best, for himself that is.

Comment

Yeah, until Cruz shows any more detail than a "sell across state lines!" proposal, I'll maintain it's a fact. This isn't the first week that Cruz has proposed repealing Obamacare, you know!
            So, you're walking that back from "without providing any sort of alternative"?

Is that like "you can keep your healthcare plan - period ---------------- well, if we like it"?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              No it isn't, its just the one he likes best, for himself that is.
              You don't know that, Jimmy --- unless you can show that he has actually made that decision.

Comment

You don't know that, Jimmy --- unless you can show that he has actually made that decision.
                Stop defending the defensless CP. He said it on live tv that he fully intended to enroll himself and his wife in the exchange. If he hasn't already, or if he changes his mind because of the backlash, doesn't really matter does it?

Comment

So, you're walking that back from "without providing any sort of alternative"?

Is that like "you can keep your healthcare plan - period ---------------- well, if we like it"?

Without any sort of alternative healthcare reform proposal, CP. For the 16 million people who got covered thanks to the ACA.
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Stop defending the defensless CP.
                    I'm not defending the defenseless, Jimmy -- I'm asking you to back up your claim that it's a done deal.

He said it on live tv
                    I don't trust you - you don't have a very good record for being correct. I need proof.

that he fully intended to enroll himself
                    An actual cite, please.

and his wife in the exchange. If he hasn't already, or if he changes his mind because of the backlash, doesn't really matter does it?
                    Yes, it matters -- your claim was "Ted Cruz signs on to ObamaCare!" I don't know that this is true. In fact, the way you worded it makes it sounds like he AGREES with it "signs on to" rather than "signed up for", but that just may be your inability to clearly communicate.

Comment

Without any sort of alternative healthcare reform proposal, CP. For the 16 million people who got covered thanks to the ACA.
                      That's not what you said, Sam. And what's wrong with buying insurance over state lines?

http://www.cruz.senate.gov/files/doc...are_Choice.pdf

You claimed he hadn't provided "any sort of alternative". Why don't you just admit that was an inaccurate statement?

Comment

That's not what you said, Sam. And what's wrong with buying insurance over state lines?

http://www.cruz.senate.gov/files/doc...are_Choice.pdf

You claimed he hadn't provided "any sort of alternative". Why don't you just admit that was an inaccurate statement?
                        I'm not walking that back: it seemed that you were referring to Cruz's personal alternatives, while I was referring to a policy alternative.

And that's true. Cruz hasn't put forth anything that could even pretend to be a policy statement. It's just another undetailed, unscorable "proposal" that lists GOP talking points but doesn't have anything specific that can be critiqued (because that means it can be criticized). I'll change my statement there when Cruz puts out something with at least a tenth of the "meat" that's in the ACA or at least has something that can be analyzed to determine who would lose/gain/pay more/pay less for coverage.

Comment

I'm not walking that back: it seemed that you were referring to Cruz's personal alternatives, while I was referring to a policy alternative.
                          Both, and at different times. He apparently is still weighing his options, according to CBS news just 10 hours ago.

Source: cbsnews.com

Now, it turns out, the Cruz family might not purchase their insurance through an ACA exchange after all. Rick Tyler, a spokesman for Cruz's just-launched presidential bid, told CBS News the senator "is weighing all the available options to choose what's best for his family."

© Copyright Original Source

And he HAS announced an alternative to OBAMACARE if repealed - you just don't like what he proposed.

And that's true. Cruz hasn't put forth anything that could even pretend to be a policy statement.

Look, for the record - I personally don't even like Cruz, and I don't think he has a prayer for winning a presidential election. But I think, as I said, this whole thing is a bit premature.

Comment

I'm not defending the defenseless, Jimmy -- I'm asking you to back up your claim that it's a done deal.

I don't trust you - you don't have a very good record for being correct. I need proof.

An actual cite, please.

Yes, it matters -- your claim was "Ted Cruz signs on to ObamaCare!" I don't know that this is true. In fact, the way you worded it makes it sounds like he AGREES with it "signs on to" rather than "signed up for", but that just may be your inability to clearly communicate.
                            What he said CP, is that his intention was to enroll in the exchange, government subsidy and all. He has since, due to the backlash, walked that back, claiming that, though he will still enroll in the exchange, he won't accept the subsidy. But there is nothing compelling him to enroll in the exchange in the first place. He is perfectly free to buy his insurance in the private marketplace like he is advising everyone else to do. Don't you find that to be hypocritical? Btw, it'll take you about 2 seconds to google his cnn interview with Dana Bash to see what he actually said if you don't believe me.

Comment

What he said CP, is that his intention was to enroll in the exchange,
                              Yeah, and apparently he changed his mind, so your "announcement" is not only incorrect, but way premature.

government subsidy and all.
                              Nope - every account I've read said he would reject the subsidy.

He has since, due to the backlash, walked that back, claiming that, though he will still enroll in the exchange, he won't accept the subsidy. But there is nothing compelling him to enroll in the exchange in the first place. He is perfectly free to buy his insurance in the private marketplace like he is advising everyone else to do.
                              I'm sure he'll find comfort in your wise counsel.

Don't you find that to be hypocritical?
                              It could well be - but that doesn't justify your premature hyperventilation. Let's get the facts first.

Btw, it'll take you about 2 seconds
                              You've had PLENTY of '2 seconds' - yet you hyperventilate about this with no citation whatsoever, and it APPEARS you're not even telling the truth.

to google his cnn interview with Dana Bash to see what he actually said if you don't believe me.
                              This is just like quite a number of other things you bloviate about, but when challenged for proof, you sluff it off on others.

What you need to show is that he actually "signed on", like you claimed he did.

Comment

What he said CP, is that his intention was to enroll in the exchange
                                And the title of the thread that YOU wrote says "Ted Cruz signs on to ObamaCare!"

This is like your goofy claim that there's "no mechanism for people to give money to the government".

Check your PinkoCommieCentral talking points, Jimmy - I think they may have retracted what they faxed you 2 days ago.

Comment