Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Watch them turn on each other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
    I don't understand the misuse of homphobic and transphobic.
    He made a joke, how is he afraid of them?
    Homophobia and transphobia are to homosexuality and transpeople in the same way sexism and racism are to the sexes and races. Words don't always mean what their roots suggest!

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      Homophobia and transphobia are to homosexuality and transpeople in the same way sexism and racism are to the sexes and races. Words don't always mean what their roots suggest!
      Would you say that Islamaphobia is a similar attitude toward Islam? I'm curious, because of your previous post and the fact that the word "Islamaphobia" is used exclusively (AFAIK) by liberals.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Homophobia and transphobia...
        These two are fabricated words to bludgeon opponents of their depravity into shameful submission.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Then I suggest that anyone that uses homo/transphobia better know what phobia means or stop using the word.
          "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
          "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
          Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            Would you say that Islamaphobia is a similar attitude toward Islam? I'm curious, because of your previous post and the fact that the word "Islamaphobia" is used exclusively (AFAIK) by liberals.
            Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              These two are fabricated words to bludgeon opponents of their depravity into shameful submission.
              All words are fabricated.

Comment

All words are fabricated.
                Erm, WHAT?

That is saying something like nothing is absolute.

Unless you meant it in a construction-like sense.
                "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                I support the :
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                  Then I suggest that anyone that uses homo/transphobia better know what phobia means or stop using the word.
                  I suggest you learn basic linguistics so you can understand that words don't have to have the same meaning as their combined roots, unless you speak French.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                    Erm, WHAT?

That is saying something like nothing is absolute.

Unless you meant it in a construction-like sense.
                    People who view homosexuals or transexuals negatively suddenly become etymologists when they get accused of bigotry. Clearly, the real issue isn't those words, it's that those words are targeting them. I really didn't have anything to say to Bill's poorly-conceived, hysteric reply except to poke fun at him.

Comment

People who view homosexuals or transexuals negatively suddenly become etymologists when they get accused of bigotry. Clearly, the real issue isn't those words, it's that those words are targeting them. I really didn't have anything to say to Bill's poorly-conceived, hysteric reply except to poke fun at him.
                      In light of this, can we call people who view Christians negatively "Christianophobes"?

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        In light of this, can we call people who view Christians negatively "Christianophobes"?
                        Yes.

Yes, you can.

Of course it would be better if you could make it more sciency-sounding somehow.
                        Last edited by Yttrium; 04-01-2015, 06:55 PM.
                        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Cruciphobes rolls off the tongue smoother and requires a touch of sophistication to pronounce properly. It also implies libruls are scared of an inanimate object so it adds a bit of sting on top of the existing insult implied by "phobia".
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

"phobia" doesn't necessarily have to be a fear, just an aversion to something. Like photophobic people aren't scared by light, it just causes them discomfort/pain

an we call people who view Christians negatively "Christianophobes"?
                            If we're sculpting an unfair word to call critics of christianity, use -phile, it's much more pejorative sounding... like.. Heathenophile or Seculophile (lol)
                            "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
                              "phobia" doesn't necessarily have to be a fear, just an aversion to something. Like photophobic people aren't scared by light, it just causes them discomfort/pain

If we're sculpting an unfair word to call critics of christianity, use -phile, it's much more pejorative sounding... like.. Heathenophile or Seculophile (lol)
                              I don't actually intend to use it, I'm just wondering if the liberals (who are apparently fond of the terms homophobe, transphobe, Islamaphobe) would allow it.
                              Last edited by Zymologist; 04-01-2015, 08:22 PM.

Comment

"Homophobic" is the type of word whose power is rightfully diminished to almost nothing among people who still have to work rather than take offense for a living. Conversely, any word that describes the typical homosexually hedonistic lifestyle rightfully gains a lot of power indeed as a perjorative term among those same people.

Exceptions of course exist among:

1. Politicians who want to curry favor with that group, given its tendency to be free with its cash and advocacy...
                                2. Businessmen and employers who don't mind having someone with expensive habits/medications that keep them working in high-powered roles...
                                3. Other natural allies and pressure groups whose loyalty and dedication to their host countries and communities is fundamentally parasitic.

Even so, this rarely translates directly into "I like and appreciate gay people and see a lot of them in us" or "I am happy to have homosexuals as the highest arbiters of our common culture." It's usually encoded in bland acronymic formalities like "I support the LUGBOAT community" or "We support the freedoms of all human persons" or "Live and let live" or "Whaddya gonna do?" if they're feeling particularly insolent. Because really, the more the reality of gay individuals and communities become evident in the experience of common people, the less and less they want to actually talk about them in anything but the most clinical or avoidant manner, like serious PTSD or child molestation survivors. To experience real people and acts of such visceral unnaturalness scars the soul and stretches the empathic capabilities of people far more than seeing a movie like Django Unchained, which at least defended marriage as something worth killing for.

All in all, whatever meaning you assign them at present, words must match the commonly felt experiences of those who use them or perish in their usefulness.

Comment