Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: Recognizing the false Christian cults.

  1. #1
    tWebber 37818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So. California
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,742
    Amen (Given)
    794
    Amen (Received)
    422

    Recognizing the false Christian cults.

    They existed in the Apostles time. And the genuine Christians recognize blatant cases. Three key things besides denying essentials of the faith. The false Christian cult makes claims that its centralized human organization is the genuine Church. Claims other authority over correctly understanding the Bible. And denies the gospel of grace alone through faith alone in God's Christ alone.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

    . . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

    Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

  2. #2
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,705
    Amen (Given)
    5017
    Amen (Received)
    9171
    In your opinion, would the Roman Catholic Church fit your definition?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  3. #3
    tWebber 37818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So. California
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,742
    Amen (Given)
    794
    Amen (Received)
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    In your opinion, would the Roman Catholic Church fit your definition?
    To be honest yes. Except the fact of agreement on all the essentials otherwise required to believe in God's Christ (1 John 1:5). So I have known and know many Catholics who are genuine Christians.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

    . . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

    Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

  4. #4
    tWebber 37818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So. California
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,742
    Amen (Given)
    794
    Amen (Received)
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    To be honest yes. Except the fact of agreement on all the essentials otherwise required to believe in God's Christ (1 John 1:5). So I have known and know many Catholics who are genuine Christians.
    Correction . . . Except the fact of agreement on all the essentials otherwise required to believe in God's Christ (1 John 5:1). So I have known and know many Catholics who are genuine Christians.

    I had transposed the 5 and 1
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

    . . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

    Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

  5. #5
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    382
    Amen (Given)
    220
    Amen (Received)
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    They existed in the Apostles time. And the genuine Christians recognize blatant cases. Three key things besides denying essentials of the faith. The false Christian cult makes claims that its centralized human organization is the genuine Church. Claims other authority over correctly understanding the Bible. And denies the gospel of grace alone through faith alone in God's Christ alone.
    Early Christians were originally seen as a cult of Judaism, claimed to be the genuine Church, and claimed authority over the correctly understanding Scriptures. "Of grace alone", "by faith alone", and "in Christ alone" are deceptive because our response to grace should be obedience, obedience is the proper expression of faith, and being in Christ involves practicing obedience. None of these concepts can be fully understood alone apart from obedience.
    "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

  6. #6
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,134
    Amen (Given)
    479
    Amen (Received)
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Soyeong View Post
    Early Christians were originally seen as a cult of Judaism, claimed to be the genuine Church, and claimed authority over the correctly understanding Scriptures. "Of grace alone", "by faith alone", and "in Christ alone" are deceptive because our response to grace should be obedience, obedience is the proper expression of faith, and being in Christ involves practicing obedience. None of these concepts can be fully understood alone apart from obedience.
    1) "but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all the Gentiles might come to the obedience that comes from faith--to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen." (Rom. 16: 26-27).

    2) "For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age,

    3) "to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me." (Acts. 26:28).

    "Of grace alone", "by faith alone", "in Christ alone" are absolutely sufficient for properly understanding the gospel of grace and our response to the finished work of Christ.

  7. Amen 37818 amen'd this post.
  8. #7
    tWebber 37818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So. California
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,742
    Amen (Given)
    794
    Amen (Received)
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by Soyeong View Post
    Early Christians were originally seen as a cult of Judaism, claimed to be the genuine Church, and claimed authority over the correctly understanding Scriptures. "Of grace alone", "by faith alone", and "in Christ alone" are deceptive because our response to grace should be obedience, obedience is the proper expression of faith, and being in Christ involves practicing obedience. None of these concepts can be fully understood alone apart from obedience.
    " . . But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; . . ." -- 1 Corinthians 1:23.

    Obedience to grace is repentance from dead works.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

    . . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

    Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

  9. Amen Scrawly amen'd this post.
  10. #8
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    382
    Amen (Given)
    220
    Amen (Received)
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawly
    "Of grace alone", "by faith alone", "in Christ alone" are absolutely sufficient for properly understanding the gospel of grace and our response to the finished work of Christ.
    Ephesians 2:8-10 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

    Paul makes it clear that we are not saved by works, but then good works come right back in at verse 10 as what those who are in Christ Jesus are created to do. Obedience that comes by faith then is precisely the good works that God has instructed His people to do in His law. So those verses affirm that those in Messiah do good works, that faith expresses itself as obedience, and grace teaches us to live obediently. However, when you talk about grace alone, faith one, and Christ alone, the important role that works play in the Christian walk is deemphasized.
    Last edited by Soyeong; 04-02-2015 at 09:09 PM.
    "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

  11. Amen One Bad Pig, Leonhard, Irate Canadian amen'd this post.
  12. #9
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,134
    Amen (Given)
    479
    Amen (Received)
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Soyeong View Post
    Ephesians 2:8-10 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

    Paul makes it clear that we are not saved by works, but then good works come right back in at verse 10 as what those who are in Christ Jesus are created to do.
    I agree.

    Obedience that comes by faith then is precisely the good works that God has instructed His people to do in His law.
    "Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ." (Gal. 6:2).

    "Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, If a brother or sister is without clothes and lacks daily food. If one of you says to them, "Go in peace; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and be filled," and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well," but you don't give them what the body needs, what good is it?
    In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. (Jas. 3: 15-17). As all born-again, regenerate Christian's know - genuine faith produces a love for God, a love for others, a love for the gospel and a love for the Scriptures that expresses itself in obedience to the teachings of the New Covenant instituted in Christ's own blood.

    So those verses affirm that those in Messiah do good works, that faith expresses itself as obedience, and grace teaches us to live obediently. However, when you talk about grace alone, faith one, and Christ alone, the important role that works play in the Christian walk is deemphasized.
    This is only true of those who do not understand the gospel and its implications and/or are unfamiliar with the teachings of the New Covenant.

  13. #10
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    382
    Amen (Given)
    220
    Amen (Received)
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawly
    "Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ." (Gal. 6:2).
    In other words, when you have a full understanding of the law and obey it, the result will be that you will bear one another's burdens.

    faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
    I've been emphasizing the importance of obedience, so this just reinforces my point.

    This is only true of those who do not understand the gospel and its implications and/or are unfamiliar with the teachings of the New Covenant.
    I agree, but then if you have a good understanding, then you should seek to express it in a way that those who don't have a good understanding will be able to understand.
    "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •