Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Recognizing the false Christian cults.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recognizing the false Christian cults.

They existed in the Apostles time. And the genuine Christians recognize blatant cases. Three key things besides denying essentials of the faith. The false Christian cult makes claims that its centralized human organization is the genuine Church. Claims other authority over correctly understanding the Bible. And denies the gospel of grace alone through faith alone in God's Christ alone.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

In your opinion, would the Roman Catholic Church fit your definition?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      In your opinion, would the Roman Catholic Church fit your definition?
      To be honest yes. Except the fact of agreement on all the essentials otherwise required to believe in God's Christ (1 John 1:5). So I have known and know many Catholics who are genuine Christians.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        To be honest yes. Except the fact of agreement on all the essentials otherwise required to believe in God's Christ (1 John 1:5). So I have known and know many Catholics who are genuine Christians.
        Correction . . . Except the fact of agreement on all the essentials otherwise required to believe in God's Christ (1 John 5:1). So I have known and know many Catholics who are genuine Christians.

I had transposed the 5 and 1

Comment

They existed in the Apostles time. And the genuine Christians recognize blatant cases. Three key things besides denying essentials of the faith. The false Christian cult makes claims that its centralized human organization is the genuine Church. Claims other authority over correctly understanding the Bible. And denies the gospel of grace alone through faith alone in God's Christ alone.
          Early Christians were originally seen as a cult of Judaism, claimed to be the genuine Church, and claimed authority over the correctly understanding Scriptures. "Of grace alone", "by faith alone", and "in Christ alone" are deceptive because our response to grace should be obedience, obedience is the proper expression of faith, and being in Christ involves practicing obedience. None of these concepts can be fully understood alone apart from obedience.
          "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
            Early Christians were originally seen as a cult of Judaism, claimed to be the genuine Church, and claimed authority over the correctly understanding Scriptures. "Of grace alone", "by faith alone", and "in Christ alone" are deceptive because our response to grace should be obedience, obedience is the proper expression of faith, and being in Christ involves practicing obedience. None of these concepts can be fully understood alone apart from obedience.
            1) "but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all the Gentiles might come to the obedience that comes from faith--to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen." (Rom. 16: 26-27).

2) "For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age,

3) "to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me." (Acts. 26:28).

"Of grace alone", "by faith alone", "in Christ alone" are absolutely sufficient for properly understanding the gospel of grace and our response to the finished work of Christ.

Comment

" . . But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; . . ." -- 1 Corinthians 1:23.

Obedience to grace is repentance from dead works.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly
                "Of grace alone", "by faith alone", "in Christ alone" are absolutely sufficient for properly understanding the gospel of grace and our response to the finished work of Christ.
                Ephesians 2:8-10 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Paul makes it clear that we are not saved by works, but then good works come right back in at verse 10 as what those who are in Christ Jesus are created to do. Obedience that comes by faith then is precisely the good works that God has instructed His people to do in His law. So those verses affirm that those in Messiah do good works, that faith expresses itself as obedience, and grace teaches us to live obediently. However, when you talk about grace alone, faith one, and Christ alone, the important role that works play in the Christian walk is deemphasized.
                Last edited by Soyeong; 04-02-2015, 04:09 PM.
                "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Ephesians 2:8-10 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Paul makes it clear that we are not saved by works, but then good works come right back in at verse 10 as what those who are in Christ Jesus are created to do.
                  I agree.

Obedience that comes by faith then is precisely the good works that God has instructed His people to do in His law.
                  "Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ." (Gal. 6:2).

"Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, If a brother or sister is without clothes and lacks daily food. If one of you says to them, "Go in peace; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and be filled," and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well," but you don't give them what the body needs, what good is it?
                  In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. (Jas. 3: 15-17). As all born-again, regenerate Christian's know - genuine faith produces a love for God, a love for others, a love for the gospel and a love for the Scriptures that expresses itself in obedience to the teachings of the New Covenant instituted in Christ's own blood.

So those verses affirm that those in Messiah do good works, that faith expresses itself as obedience, and grace teaches us to live obediently. However, when you talk about grace alone, faith one, and Christ alone, the important role that works play in the Christian walk is deemphasized.
                  This is only true of those who do not understand the gospel and its implications and/or are unfamiliar with the teachings of the New Covenant.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly
                    "Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ." (Gal. 6:2).
                    In other words, when you have a full understanding of the law and obey it, the result will be that you will bear one another's burdens.

faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
                    I've been emphasizing the importance of obedience, so this just reinforces my point.

This is only true of those who do not understand the gospel and its implications and/or are unfamiliar with the teachings of the New Covenant.
                    I agree, but then if you have a good understanding, then you should seek to express it in a way that those who don't have a good understanding will be able to understand.

Comment

In other words, when you have a full understanding of the law and obey it, the result will be that you will bear one another's burdens.
                      Yup! "For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." (Gal. 5:14).

I've been emphasizing the importance of obedience, so this just reinforces my point.
                      And I agree because I understand what genuine faith is - and by the grace of God possess it.

I agree, but then if you have a good understanding, then you should seek to express it in a way that those who don't have a good understanding will be able to understand.
                      I strive to do just that.

Comment

Soyeong & Scrawly,

What has this to do with recognizing false Christian cults?

Comment

Soyeong & Scrawly,

What has this to do with recognizing false Christian cults?
                          I think they're disputing some of the points you're making, or at the very least your wordings of them.

Comment

Its seems you're basically targeting the Eastern Orthodoxy and the Holy Catholic Church with those extra points. But since what the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox believes, go back to the roots of the earliest churches, then if they're wrong... then there's only been false cults until Luther and Calvin.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              Its seems you're basically targeting the Eastern Orthodoxy and the Holy Catholic Church with those extra points.
                              Well, are those extra issues false? Question: Does the "Holy Catholic Church" and the "Eastern Orthodoxy" deny any essentials of the Christian faith? Did I say they denied the essentials?

But since what the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox believes, go back to the roots of the earliest churches, then if they're wrong... then there's only been false cults until Luther and Calvin.
                              Christ said, "I will build My church and the gates of the realm of the dead shall not prevail against it." (Matthew 16:18).

So there has always been Christ's church. An essay.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X