Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Honest Atheist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NormATive View Post
    Pray tell, how does one "live as though they're certain he [G-d] doesn't exist?"
    A sure sign is somebody who says, for example, "God doesn't exist", and spends their life arguing against the God position. That one's pretty much a dead give-away.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Pray tell, how does one "live as though they're certain he [G-d] doesn't exist?"

Coward's way out? Really? How is not believing in the supernatural cowardly? It's just different from you. This makes them no more or less cowardly than you. My Grandfather was an Atheist, and had a drawer full of heroes medals in his bedroom from WWII

Then you are sadly misinformed. I lack your certainty of belief, yet I hold out hope there may indeed be a greater power. This does not make me dishonest. Stop trying to justify your belief by belittling those who don't share it as somehow lesser than you.

I do believe in one miracle, though: Your ability to generalize reaches the level of the supernatural.

NORM
      If God doesn't ever figure into your decision making process then you live as if you're certain that he doesn't exist.

The fact that your atheist grandfather collected war medals has absolutely no relevance to anything I've said.

You chopped off my entire last paragraph and in so doing came up with a reponse that again has no relevance to anything I've said. I never so much as implied that unbelievers are "lesser" than me.

I have no patience for the "piecemeal reply" debate tactic. It's deceptive and dishonest because it gives the appearance of rebutting without actually rebutting. Either respond to my entire argument, or don't bother responding to any of it.
      Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-24-2014, 03:38 PM.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        A sure sign is somebody who says, for example, "God doesn't exist", and spends their life arguing against the God position. That one's pretty much a dead give-away.
        No one spends their life arguing against the G-d position, whatever in the heck that even means.

NORM
        When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

No one spends their life arguing against the G-d position, whatever in the heck that even means.

NORM
          Well, yeah, some do.

ETA: SOME even spend time on CHRISTIAN-run websites arguing against the God they don't believe exists.

Now, me? I don't believe in Goblins, but I have NEVER ONCE logged onto a Goblin-run website arguing with Goblin believers!
          Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-24-2014, 07:43 PM.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            If God doesn't ever figure into your decision making process then you live as if you're certain that he doesn't exist.
            This still doesn't explain how a person who doesn't believe in a god behaves differently from one who does (other than stating as such).

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            The fact that your atheist grandfather collected war medals has absolutely no relevance to anything I've said.
            It proves that he's no coward as you suggested.

You chopped off my entire last paragraph and in so doing came up with a reponse that again has no relevance to anything I've said. I never so much as implied that unbelievers are "lesser" than me.
            The only thing your last paragraph said was that you base your superiority on the Bible:

Every self-declared atheist you will ever meet has, at some point, been presented with the idea that God exists and has rejected that idea for one reason or another. They will claim that it's a rational conclusion based on a supposed lack of evidence. The scripture tells us it's because of their sin and pride. I know atheists don't like it, but I have to go with scripture on this.
            So?

I have no patience for the "piecemeal reply" debate tactic. It's deceptive and dishonest because it gives the appearance of rebutting without actually rebutting. Either respond to my entire argument, or don't bother responding to any of it.
            I replied in substance. You just have no answer. Again; how does a non-believer "live as though they're certain that he [G-d] doesn't exist?" Please be specific.

NORM
            When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Well, yeah, some do.

ETA: SOME even spend time on CHRISTIAN-run websites arguing against the God they don't believe exists.

Now, me? I don't believe in Goblins, but I have NEVER ONCE logged onto a Goblin-run website arguing with Goblin believers!
              What the hell are you talking about?

NORM

Comment

What the hell are you talking about?

NORM
                Relax, Norm, you're gonna blow a gasket.

Comment

Relax, Norm, you're gonna blow a gasket.
                  No, seriously...what are you talking about? I don't understand what you are trying to say.

NORM

Comment

No, seriously...what are you talking about? I don't understand what you are trying to say.

NORM
                    It shouldn't be too hard to figure out Norm. Why do you spend so much time going after Christians? That is what he is saying.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Most atheists will insist until they're blue in the face that they merely lack belief in God even though they live as though they're certain that he doesn't exist. It's really the coward's way out, in my opinion, and is intended to place the burden of proof entirely on the Christian. "Oh no no no, I merely lack belief. I have nothing to defend. It's up to you to convince me." It's intellectually dishonest.

I don't believe there is such thing as an honest atheist, as in someone who genuinely has no concept of God and merely "lacks belief". Every self-declared atheist you will ever meet has, at some point, been presented with the idea that God exists and has rejected that idea for one reason or another. They will claim that it's a rational conclusion based on a supposed lack of evidence. The scripture tells us it's because of their sin and pride. I know atheists don't like it, but I have to go with scripture on this.
                      I have a question for an "atheist" who takes the position that the simply lack belief but do not believe there is no God. No others need apply.

What is the difference between an atheist and an agnostic?

During the brief period in my life when I considered myself an atheist I believed there was no God. Deciding very early that such a certainty was foolish, I proclaimed myself an agnostic. I always defined the words involved as: Theist - believes there is a God, Atheist - believes there is no God, Agnostic - unable to come to any sure conclusion on the matter. Now I am a bit confused as to how these words should be defined from the previously described atheist. Again unless you consider yourself an atheist and you do not know if there is a God or not I do not want to hear from you.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        It shouldn't be too hard to figure out Norm. Why do you spend so much time going after Christians? That is what he is saying.
                        I'll let him answer, thanks. I don't care what you think.

NORM

Comment

I'll let him answer, thanks. I don't care what you think.

NORM
                          It isn't too hard to figure out Norm, but I guess your extreme hatred of myself and all Christians just prevents you from seeing what is obvious to almost everybody else. Whatever makes you feel important there Mr Big Boy.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            it isn't too hard to figure out norm, but i guess your extreme hatred of myself and all christians just prevents you from seeing what is obvious to almost everybody else. Whatever makes you feel important there mr big boy.
                            ----

norm

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                              Most of us who call ourselves atheists disagree. If you're not one of us, what entitles you to tell us what we are?
                              Atheism is not a lack of belief, that's a cop out. The etymological and historical of atheism is a-no, theos -god, that is the claim of atheism. It doesn't say lack belief.
                              Yeng Vg

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                                I have a question for an "atheist" who takes the position that the simply lack belief but do not believe there is no God. No others need apply.

What is the difference between an atheist and an agnostic?

During the brief period in my life when I considered myself an atheist I believed there was no God. Deciding very early that such a certainty was foolish, I proclaimed myself an agnostic. I always defined the words involved as: Theist - believes there is a God, Atheist - believes there is no God, Agnostic - unable to come to any sure conclusion on the matter. Now I am a bit confused as to how these words should be defined from the previously described atheist. Again unless you consider yourself an atheist and you do not know if there is a God or not I do not want to hear from you.
                                In my experience talking and debating with non-Christians over the past decade, there really is no difference between an atheist and an agnostic. They both effectively live as if God doesn't exist. Let's put it this way: when was the last time you ever heard of an agnostic considering his actions in light of whether or not they're pleasing to God on the chance that he really does exist?
                                Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-26-2014, 07:22 PM.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment