Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Moral Implications of Christian Authors Using Ghostwriters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I actually put my name in the hat for "most humblest human ever". I should be a shoe-in!
    Your name is in the hat, not the shoe.
    "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

The devolution of a thread in progress.
      For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Wasn't the whole bible (holy)ghostwritten?

Comment

Not really. Human beings still wrote in their own style to specific instances and audiences often in their own name. They had a great source, but the source didn't write the documents Himself.

Comment

Originally posted by phat8594 View Post
            Does anyone have any sort of feelings on Christian authors / pastors using 'ghostwriters', and then claiming authorship?
            I don't have feelings; I have opinions. I'm a man.

Anyway... the longstanding convention in publishing has been to make the credit for the ghostwriter as non-obvious as possible. That can be problematic, as in the recent case of Mark Driscoll who was happy to claim credit as the author of some books, but then when his ghostwriter was found to have omitted relevant citations from other authors used, Driscoll blamed the ghostwriter rather than taking responsibility as the man whose name was on the cover. That sort of thing could be avoided from the get-go with an explicit co-author credit, which strikes me as the more honest way to go.

This comes up in the music industry too. Elvis' manager "Colonel" Tom Parker forced songwriters to give Elvis a co-author credit, and thus a cut of the royalties, on the rationale that the song would become much more valuable once recorded by Elvis. If you look over the album credits of today's autotuned popstar mannequins, co-author credits are still mighty common; sometimes the list of authorial names who had a hand in the song is longer than the lyric sheet for the song!

Comment

[QUOTE=RBerman;11052]I don't have feelings; I have opinions. I'm a man.

Anyway...QUOTE]

Thank you for the laugh! :)

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                Anyway... the longstanding convention in publishing has been to make the credit for the ghostwriter as non-obvious as possible. That can be problematic, as in the recent case of Mark Driscoll who was happy to claim credit as the author of some books, but then when his ghostwriter was found to have omitted relevant citations from other authors used, Driscoll blamed the ghostwriter rather than taking responsibility as the man whose name was on the cover. That sort of thing could be avoided from the get-go with an explicit co-author credit, which strikes me as the more honest way to go.
                Yeah, I guess my question really revolves less around longstanding convention, and more around the moral implications of a Christian author / pastor essentially claiming authorship to something he didn't actually write. I understand that those books might 'sell better', but it seems to me that as a Christian (this is the big part for me) this is not a good enough reason to use a ghostwriter without making it explicitly clear that it was written by someone else (at which point the ghostwriter no longer becomes a ghostwriter). This is especially concerning, because our cultural understanding is that the author is the actual writer (unless there is the 'Author' with 'co-author' mention. After all, even secular books will call out the co-author. It seems to me that as much as people might call out the 'cult of personality'.

I am less concerned with the co-author situation, as an explicit mention of the other writer(s) is included as part of the authorship. How they divvy up the material / writing is really up to them, I guess.
                Last edited by phat8594; 02-06-2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Cow Poke is the humblest, most lovable person in Texas. And his dog Jake too.
                  That title is already taken. He could be second.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    That title is already taken. He could be second.
                    I said in Texas. Not Alaska, Jed.

Comment

Originally posted by phat8594 View Post
                      I was just thinking about this the other day....

Does anyone have any sort of feelings on Christian authors / pastors using 'ghostwriters', and then claiming authorship?
                      For a book, no big feelings one way or another.

Big problem when the pastor is passing off someone else's sermon as his own work during service. I would much rather the pastor say "I am grateful to insert name for the insights I am sharing today." There is more of connection in a sermon than when reading a book and it think that's makes it a lot less acceptable to me.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        It's what some of the early apostles did.
                        I think your mistaking dication with ghost writing.
                        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I said in Texas. Not Alaska, Jed.
                          Not Texas or Alaska. I am talking TWeb. But you are indeed correct. Thank you.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                            I think your mistaking dication with ghost writing.
                            It's possible that the writers sat with the apostles at all times during the actual writing process, and it's also possible at times the writer used the gist of what he had heard from the apostle with the apostle's blessing, which might explain at times the different styles we see in the letters. OBP said it best on the first page.

Comment

The gospels (other than maybe Luke) never state an author's name, so "ghostwriting" would be a misnomer for them.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                It is well-nigh undisputed that Paul used an amenuensis to write at least some of his letters. Depending on their working relationship, the scribe could more or less be trusted to put into writing the words Paul was speaking without verbatim taking down what he said.

Right. Your dissertation is not just graded on your research, but how well you are able to communicate your findings.
                                ## ...which creates interesting questions for a doctrine of inspiration.

Comment