Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sochi - should they just cancel it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sochi - should they just cancel it?

After reading and seeing the horror stories from the reporters about the hotel rooms and such, it makes me worried for the athletes.

If they can't even supply reporters and athletes with decent accommodations and essentials like food and water, how dangerous are the events going to be? Will the ski jumps and bob sledding tracks collapse?

A couple of athletes have already injured themselves just in practicing and at least one guy withdrew saying the ski slope track was unsafe.

I think they should just pull out altogether and start over next year somewhere else.

No. We didn't cancel ours in Utah which was right after 9/11.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

When you are a reporter at the Sochi Olympics you stay in a hotel room without potable water. When you try to drink the non-potable water anyway, you die and become a zombie. When you die and become a zombie, you attack the athletes you are supposed to be interviewing and eat their brains. When you attack the athletes and eat their brains they become zombies too and all the athletic zombies return to the USA where they sign up for Obamacare.

Don't become a sochi zombie and sign up for Obamacare. Cancel the Olympics instead.

Comment

Just, WHATEVER you do, for Sochi sakes, DON'T -- I say DON'T -- watch the Olympics on CABLE!!!!!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What, and not have curling for another year?!?!?!
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I thought the US should have boycotted in Beijing due to China's abysmal human rights record. Of course, there probably would have been some massive economic boomeranging from such a decision.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Boycotting the Olympics is counter-productive. Leaving aside that the intent was to bring nations together to do something minus shooting each other and thereby fostering greater mutual understanding, the US tends to dominate (being a big, wealthy nation helps a lot) - and being embarrassed in the sports arena has political value - probably more than the not bothering to show up thing does.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I thought the US should have boycotted in Beijing due to China's abysmal human rights record. Of course, there probably would have been some massive economic boomeranging from such a decision.
                Considering the prevalence of abortion in the West, if people were to consistently boycott nations for their human rights record there would be no point in holding the Olympics anymore.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Boycotting the Olympics is counter-productive. Leaving aside that the intent was to bring nations together to do something minus shooting each other and thereby fostering greater mutual understanding, the US tends to dominate (being a big, wealthy nation helps a lot) - and being embarrassed in the sports arena has political value - probably more than the not bothering to show up thing does.
                  We had a story on the news last night from a man who was all ready to go to the Olympics in Russia back in 1980. It went into all the training he went through, the dedication, the YEARS of 9 hours a day practice... all down the tubes because Jimmy Carter decided we would boycott. VERY interesting story.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

who said "boycott?" I said cancel. I mean by the Olympic committee. better to cancel then have a disaster where athletes are seriously injured or killed.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      Considering the prevalence of abortion in the West, if people were to consistently boycott nations for their human rights record there would be no point in holding the Olympics anymore.
                      I'd love to see that happen. Attention for the cause.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        who said "boycott?" I said cancel. I mean by the Olympic committee. better to cancel then have a disaster where athletes are seriously injured or killed.
                        Teal said boycott, and I LIKE her!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            Yeah.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Well I am not going.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment