Announcement

Collapse

Judaism Guidelines

Theists only.

Shalom!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the world religion of Judaism in general and also its relationship to Christianity. This forum is generally for theists only. Non-theists (eg, atheistic Jews) may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does marrying in Jewish ceremony matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does marrying in Jewish ceremony matter?

Does marrying in Jewish ceremony matter to Jews religiously or is it more of a cultural thing?
    I am become death...

Depends on how strongly their belief is. It is culturally and religiously important to those who are observant Jews.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Why is it religiously important? I found some information about Orthodox conversions, but not an explanation of what the value of getting married in a synagogue is. I am wondering if the building matters or if it is just a ceremony, and what impact the wedding has on their relationship with the wedding and the community.
      I am become death...

Comment

Orthodox Jews believe there redemption and their salvation comes by being observant of the law. Everything matters to them, including the weddings.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
          Why is it religiously important? I found some information about Orthodox conversions, but not an explanation of what the value of getting married in a synagogue is. I am wondering if the building matters or if it is just a ceremony, and what impact the wedding has on their relationship with the wedding and the community.
          It can be compared to a Christian wedding: is it important to get married in a secular ceremony versus getting married in a church?

Obviously, if we get married in a synagogue, then we can be sure that we have a chuppah, a valid ketubah, and that the traditions of our people are followed. We would get none of that if married by a justice of the peace.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X