Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Can a Timeless God Really Understand us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Yes, but that's not what Shunya was saying when you disagreed with him.
    Then school me, because we certainty can know some things about God's essential nature. Are not omniscience, love, justice, mercy part of His essential nature? Or is Shuny just saying that we can't know the stuff God is made of?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Then school me, because we certainty can know some things about God's essential nature. Are not omniscience, love, justice, mercy part of His essential nature?
      Yes, and we can know that much.
      Or is Shuny just saying that we can't know the stuff God is made of?
      No. God moves in mysterious ways, which we seldom comprehend.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Yes, and we can know that much.
        Well Shuny said we could not know His essential nature. But can can know at least some things about that essential nature.

No. God moves in mysterious ways, which we seldom comprehend.
        Yes, I agree, generally. But we even here we can know some things about the ways of God, like He rewards faith and punishes rebellion.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Well Shuny said we could not know His essential nature. But can can know at least some things about that essential nature.
          Actually my view agrees with Thomas Aquinas on this issue:

Source: http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1002.htm#article3

I answer that, A thing can be self-evident in either of two ways: on the one hand, self-evident in itself, though not to us; on the other, self-evident in itself, and to us. A proposition is self-evident because the predicate is included in the essence of the subject, as "Man is an animal," for animal is contained in the essence of man. If, therefore the essence of the predicate and subject be known to all, the proposition will be self-evident to all; as is clear with regard to the first principles of demonstration, the terms of which are common things that no one is ignorant of, such as being and non-being, whole and part, and such like. If, however, there are some to whom the essence of the predicate and subject is unknown, the proposition will be self-evident in itself, but not to those who do not know the meaning of the predicate and subject of the proposition. Therefore, it happens, as Boethius says (Hebdom., the title of which is: "Whether all that is, is good"), "that there are some mental concepts self-evident only to the learned, as that incorporeal substances are not in space." Therefore I say that this proposition, "God exists," of itself is self-evident, for the predicate is the same as the subject, because God is His own existence as will be hereafter shown (3, 4). Now because we do not know the essence of God, the proposition is not self-evident to us; but needs to be demonstrated by things that are more known to us, though less known in their nature — namely, by effects.

© Copyright Original Source

Aquinas then argues for the existence of God beyond this apophatic view of God in his 'five ways'

Actually I owe Robrecht for a clarification on the point.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Actually my view agrees with Thomas Aquinas on this issue:

Source: http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1002.htm#article3

I answer that, A thing can be self-evident in either of two ways: on the one hand, self-evident in itself, though not to us; on the other, self-evident in itself, and to us. A proposition is self-evident because the predicate is included in the essence of the subject, as "Man is an animal," for animal is contained in the essence of man. If, therefore the essence of the predicate and subject be known to all, the proposition will be self-evident to all; as is clear with regard to the first principles of demonstration, the terms of which are common things that no one is ignorant of, such as being and non-being, whole and part, and such like. If, however, there are some to whom the essence of the predicate and subject is unknown, the proposition will be self-evident in itself, but not to those who do not know the meaning of the predicate and subject of the proposition. Therefore, it happens, as Boethius says (Hebdom., the title of which is: "Whether all that is, is good"), "that there are some mental concepts self-evident only to the learned, as that incorporeal substances are not in space." Therefore I say that this proposition, "God exists," of itself is self-evident, for the predicate is the same as the subject, because God is His own existence as will be hereafter shown (3, 4). Now because we do not know the essence of God, the proposition is not self-evident to us; but needs to be demonstrated by things that are more known to us, though less known in their nature — namely, by effects.

© Copyright Original Source

Aquinas then argues for the existence of God beyond this apophatic view of God in his 'five ways'

Actually I owe Robrecht for a clarification on the point.

Then you have to explain why both your religion and mine describes God. That He is all-knowing, all merciful, just, truthful and such. These are essential qualities of His nature.

Comment

Then you have to explain why both your religion and mine describes God. That He is all-knowing, all merciful, just, truthful and such. These are essential qualities of His nature.
              . . . because we believe what our scripture teaches us concerning these attributes of God.
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

. . . because we believe what our scripture teaches us concerning these attributes of God.
                So do you agree that we can know some true things about God - correct?

Comment

Of course you can't know, you can't even know that god exists, its a belief, so how could you know anyhing about a belief?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Of course you can't know, you can't even know that god exists, its a belief, so how could you know anyhing about a belief?
                    Unless God has spoken to man. Which would be a historical fact. Not merely a belief.

Comment

Unless God has spoken to man. Which would be a historical fact. Not merely a belief.
                      That would also be a belief as far as anyone who has not been spoken to by god, which means that no, they can not know the essence of a thing that they don't even know exists.

Comment

God talking to man cannot be considered a fact, because there is no objective evidence, and also many different people claim that talks to them saying different things.

Frank

Comment

Well ah . . . seer, it gets on touchy turf what you consider true things about God. Our points of agreement have long been established.

Frank

Comment

God talking to man cannot be considered a fact, because there is no objective evidence, and also many different people claim that talks to them saying different things.
                            That is just stupid. I'm speaking to you right now - is that a fact? If I was speaking to you over coffee, that to would be a fact even if we could not prove it be objective evidence later.

Comment

Well ah . . . seer, it gets on touchy turf what you consider true things about God. Our points of agreement have long been established.
                              No you said: Knowing the attributes of God through God's prophets is not the same as knowing the essential nature of God.

How is it that God's attributes don't, in some real sense, reflect his essential nature?

Comment

No you said: Knowing the attributes of God through God's prophets is not the same as knowing the essential nature of God.

How is it that God's attributes don't, in some real sense, reflect his essential nature?
                                They reflect God's essential nature, but they do not represent God's essential nature. I believe Aquinas actually addressed this limited knowledge of God's essence and truth from the human perspective.

Frank

Comment