Announcement

Collapse

Pro-Life Activism 301 Guidelines

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Resources for arguing against euthanasia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resources for arguing against euthanasia?

I tried wading into a debate over assisted suicide today, and found myself (and the other person who took my stance against) completely unprepared for the barrage of arguments in favor. (I think part of it, though, is that I tend not to acknowledge emotional arguments because they are subjective.) I've simply never studied the issue in the detail that would be needed to credibly argue the position. Does anybody have any recommended resources for study?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Off the top of my head, wiki. Don't laugh yet - most pro-kill arguments are heavily dependant on utilitarianism, consequentialism, relativism and other similar schools of thought. It helps to be able to figure out the basis.

Countering emotional arguments is tricky. Usually if you can get them to concede that killing someone against their will is wrong the basis collapses when you demand specifics on safeguards.

I might can get some specific references later - when I remember them...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/?s...&submit=Search

http://www.firstthings.com/search?q=euthanasia

There should be some articles in there that will help you.
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Mock the feels.

Comment

Any updates, KG? Have you found any particularly useful resources?
          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Um, okay, a LOT later....
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Sorry... I didn't abandon this thread! I started a new overnight job this week and have barely been on.

The Witherspoon Institute link has been tremendously helpful, though I think a protracted debate would probably require more technical detail than any popular-level site would predict. The other link did not seem like it would be quite as useful for addressing the issue from a non-religious standpoint. (I am hoping that anybody who would place stock in Judeo-Christian values in the first place isn't the type who would need convincing.)
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I am hoping that anybody who would place stock in Judeo-Christian values in the first place isn't the type who would need convincing.
                Why would you? Scripture mentions several suicides. Most of them are stated as facts with no moral judgement, except one, which is Samson Allahu Akbaring the Philistines with God's blessing. Christians certainly debate over less ambiguous things.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Bumping this thread to ask about your thoughts on hospices that cause involuntary euthanasia via morphine overdose.http://www.hospicepatients.org/this-...tening%20Death

Don't know if it needs to be it's own thread, but the idea of being euthanized against one's will sounds horrifying. Passive euthanasia sounds like a worse way to die than active euthanasia. Of course, both are wrong.
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

(Knowing this thread has been necro'd).

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    Sorry... I didn't abandon this thread! I started a new overnight job this week and have barely been on.

The Witherspoon Institute link has been tremendously helpful, though I think a protracted debate would probably require more technical detail than any popular-level site would predict. The other link did not seem like it would be quite as useful for addressing the issue from a non-religious standpoint. (I am hoping that anybody who would place stock in Judeo-Christian values in the first place isn't the type who would need convincing.)
                    You probably aren't going to be able to win this debate without a Judeo-Christian value set, or at least some 'sanctity of life' concept, as the basis. I think I could come up with a lot of arguments in favor of euthanasia that aren't emotional in the least bit and to which the only real counters are emotional themselves.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Countering emotional arguments is tricky. Usually if you can get them to concede that killing someone against their will is wrong the basis collapses when you demand specifics on safeguards.
                      I don't think the standard arguments in favor of euthanasia have anything to do with it being against their will. That would be pretty silly.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                        I don't think the standard arguments in favor of euthanasia have anything to do with it being against their will. That would be pretty silly.
                        Moderated By: Jedidiah

Tony, debate is not allowed in this forum. If you wish to debate this please begin your own thread in a forum where it is allowed. I suggest the Civics Forum

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                        Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Jedidiah; 12-03-2015, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony48219 View Post
                          Exactly. If there are no reasona to oppose slavery in principle, then there are no arguments to oppose voluntary euthanasia in principle.

FYI, before this goes too far, this area is strictly pro-life and non-debate. If you want to debate it, start a new thread in apologetics.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post

FYI, before this goes too far, this area is strictly pro-life and non-debate. If you want to debate it, start a new thread in apologetics.
                            My apologies. I wasn't aware there was a separate forum for debates.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony48219 View Post
                              My apologies. I wasn't aware there was a separate forum for debates.
                              As I suggested in my PM, read the site rules, and read the forum guidelines.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X