Announcement

Collapse

Pro-Life Activism 301 Guidelines

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Resources for arguing against euthanasia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post

You probably aren't going to be able to win this debate without a Judeo-Christian value set, or at least some 'sanctity of life' concept, as the basis. I think I could come up with a lot of arguments in favor of euthanasia that aren't emotional in the least bit and to which the only real counters are emotional themselves.
    That's what I am beginning to suspect. I think one can secularly present euthanasia laws as bad social policy for the reasons stated above but that doesn't affect arguing against it in the abstract.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      That's what I am beginning to suspect. I think one can secularly present euthanasia laws as bad social policy for the reasons stated above but that doesn't affect arguing against it in the abstract.
      Maybe. If it's me, I'd break out euthanasia at different stages of life and levels of consent. Come to some agreement about what quality of life means and if there's a bare minimum that should be expected.

Different stages of life: pre-natal, infant, toddler, youth, adult, geriatric.
      Levels of consent: No consent, 'end of life' plan, parent/guardian, power of attorney, 'right-mind' patient.
      Methodology: Doctor-performed, doctor-assisted, patient alone.

I break it out this way because the arguments will vary. I don't know very many people that are willing to allow 'no consent', and power of attorney can be messy. It's a different question for terminal adults and geriatrics than it is for young children or infants born with severe problems.

Personally, I'm fine with it provided it can be shown the patient is terminal, in their right mind, and all reasonable treatments have been tried and failed. With parents/guardians of small children or infants, I think we should be prepared to provide financial assistance if we're going to force them to keep the kid. (I'm generally not in favor of terminating the kid except in some really extreme cases where "is this life" may not have an affirmative answer).
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X