I'm afraid I discovered Reddit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    /r/AcademicBiblical - As the name suggests, lots of very academic discussion about the Bible. A few of the regular posters are Biblical scholars (at least one Jewish scholar, a couple Christian scholars that range from liberal to moderate, and a couple nontheistic scholars). Unfortunately the mods (none of whom are professional scholars as far as I know) are largely atheist and in at least two cases anti-theist (brojangles, who's rabidly anti-theist, and captainhaddock, who's not quite as vocally anti-theist). The head mod, koine_lingua is a non-theist, but is extremely well read, reads Greek, and is relatively fair in his responses. He tries to the pull the subreddit to the center as best he can, but its hard because of Reddit's general atheist/anti-theist demographic bent, which sees a lot of posts asking "was Jesus a real historical person?", which has been answered so many times in the affirmative ("yes, he was a real historical person") that they've considered whether or not to delete any such future posts. You also get a lot of anti-Christians coming to the subreddit asking questions to help in their debates against Christians, and occasionally you get the same from the other side. Since the subreddit is devoted to academic, scholarly discussion, they discourage posts that veer into more modern theological concerns and questions. Overall, its pretty liberal, but its got some good stuff.

/r/AskHistorians I love this subreddit because the mods are super heavy-handed, which I probably wouldn't like in any other subreddit. Basically its a place for people to ask historians, or history knowledgeable people questions about history. The question must pertain to events that happened 20 or more years ago. Answerers MUST have reliable sources, or their posts are deleted. This means Wikipedia is pretty much out. A few actual scholars post here as well. Posters who've shown expertise in a certain field are granted flair to designate their specialty. This subreddit occasionally will host a panel of experts doing an Ask Me Anything pertaining to a particular historical period with the participants qualifications in view. So you might see a 6 man panel of experts (or very well read posters) who are knowledgeable about...say...Byzantium, or the Mongols, or the Industrial Revolution. Pretty cool stuff.

/r/ASMR This one's hard to explain. Have you ever watched a teacher as a child, and as they monotonely droned on gotten a relaxing tingle in your head or the back of your neck. Ever watch a Bob Ross video and receive the same sensation? If not, then you're probably in the majority of people who have never experience this sensation. If you have, then this subreddit might be of interest. Its basically a video subreddit of weird videos whispering, roleplaying, and acting bizarre in order to trigger that sensation.

/r/BinauralMusic I really wish this subreddit had more going for it, but basically, binaural audio is audio that has been recorded in special omnidirectional microphones that have been placed in a human or a dummy's ears to simulate what someone would hear if they were actually in the same room. I've been into this technology for a number of years now, and have done some of my own binaural field recordings (I'll have to upload some someday). In order for the listener to appreciate the binaural experience you HAVE to wear headphones. The experiences is 3D realistic, and very fun to listen to. Here's a very popular audio clip that demonstrates the experience https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA. Again, you HAVE to wear headphones in order to experience the effect (closing your eyes while you listen will help as well). Anyways, there's a binaural subreddit (which is also small), but /r/BinauralMusic is specifically devoted to people making live music while someone wearing a binaural headset sits in the audience or moves around the performers. Its pretty amazing. Word of warning, don't confuse binaural audio/music with Binaural Beats, which is some lame attempt to alter frequency tones in your ears so that you trip out or something.

/r/Cheeseburgers and /r/Pizza - I like food. These subreddits show pictures of some of my favorites types of food.

/r/TrueFilm - This is Reddit's film nerd hangout. If you want to discuss how fun the last Fast and Furious film was, it'll probably be better received in /r/Movies. /r/Truefilm is for deconstructing and critiquing films and film genre, and you're more likely to see posts on Tarkovsky, Herzog, and Truffaut as you are the latest Pixar or Michael Bay film. Its one of the few subreddits that you can discuss and have a critical view about a popular film on Reddit without getting downvoted to smithereens.

/r/ContagiousLaughter - Ever find another's laughing fit made you start laughing as well? This is the subreddit for that. Pretty hysterical stuff. This is a recent one that I found pretty funny https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=Yj-6nJCQYdo

/r/JohnPeelSessions, /r/Post-Punk, /r/listentoobscure, and /r/listentothis are some of my favorite music subreddits. /r/listentothis is the most popular of those subreddits; Its basically a subreddit that seeks to find and promote unfamiliar artists.

/r/FeelsLikeTheFirstTime - This is a relatively new subreddit that shows videos of people (or animals) experiencing things for the first time. So, for instance, you might find videos of deaf people receiving hearing for the first time through some sort of hearing aid, or a video showing Koreans trying American snacks for the first time. Pretty neat.

/r/PrematureCelebration - Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. This subreddit shows people celebrating early victories before actually crossing the line. Admittedly a little schadenfreude-ish (okay, a lot schadenfreude-ish).

/r/whatisthisthing - On your commute to work, ever see a pole sticking out of the ground and had no idea what it was for or why it was there? Ever inherit some old obscure looking medical object from a crazy uncle? This subreddit tries to answer those questions for you. Once answered, your post must be marked "Answered" So that everyone knows you're good.
    Sounds like somebody might have a little too much time on his hands....
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      Sounds like somebody might have a little too much time on his hands....
      Hmm. Maybe. I can't stand the default subreddits. I don't at all fit in with Reddit's primary age and ideology demographic, so if I'm going to view the website I have to tailor it to what I like, and I'm glad that option is available. I check the website out during lulls at work mostly, and over the years some of the one's I've mentioned have become favorites.

Comment

Hmm. Maybe. I can't stand the default subreddits. I don't at all fit in with Reddit's primary age and ideology demographic, so if I'm going to view the website I have to tailor it to what I like, and I'm glad that option is available. I check the website out during lulls at work mostly, and over the years some of the one's I've mentioned have become favorites.
        Oh, no worries. I just thought you had a very eclectic mix of subreddit suggestions.

Comment

Oh, no worries. I just thought you had a very eclectic mix of subreddit suggestions.
          Ah. Ok. Yeah, like I said, the main subs are pretty much cess pools.

Comment

There's one subreddit I found a while back that looked really cool, though I haven't really gone back to it. It was r/UnresolvedMysteries.

Comment

There's one subreddit I found a while back that looked really cool, though I haven't really gone back to it. It was r/UnresolvedMysteries.
              I'm not familiar with that one (or the one you previously mentioned), but that does sound interesting. I know there's a website outside of Reddit where amateurs attempt to solve cold cases. I wonder if its anything like that.

Comment

I'm not familiar with that one (or the one you previously mentioned), but that does sound interesting. I know there's a website outside of Reddit where amateurs attempt to solve cold cases. I wonder if its anything like that.
                Well, the Smite subreddit is only meaningful if you play Smite (which you should, because it's an awesome game). The Unresolved Mysteries one seems like more of a place to share weird obscure mysteries rather than try to solve them, but I haven't poked around on there much.

Comment

Well, the Smite subreddit is only meaningful if you play Smite (which you should, because it's an awesome game).
                  The only game I ever really play much anymore is Rocksmith, and I haven't had a chance to mess around with that for awhile. What's Smite all about?

The Unresolved Mysteries one seems like more of a place to share weird obscure mysteries rather than try to solve them, but I haven't poked around on there much.
                  Oh okay. That sounds pretty cool too. I'll have to check it out.

Comment

The only game I ever really play much anymore is Rocksmith, and I haven't had a chance to mess around with that for awhile. What's Smite all about?
                    Smite is a MOBA (multiplayer online battle arena), roughly the same type of game as DOTA and League of Legends. The main difference between Smite and all other MOBAs though, is that Smite is played in third person rather than in a top-down RTS view. That makes it play more like a shooter, with the mechanics of a MOBA. It's great.

Being a MOBA, though, it has a steep learning curve and is not friendly to beginners. Just the nature of the game, unfortunately. Anyone who's new to them faces an uphill battle just to get to a point of minimal competence.

FWIW, I've played pretty much every major MOBA except for Heroes of Newerth (including DotA, DOTA II, League of Legends, Strife, Infinite Crisis, and Heroes of the Storm), and Smite is by far my favorite of them all. Also interesting is that the playable characters in Smite are all mythological gods from a variety of pantheons, so you could have Zeus, Chaac (Mayan god of rain) and Fenrir against Thor, Bacchus (my personal favorite), and Hercules.

Actually, Thor, Bacchus, and Hercules could be pretty nasty.

Comment

Smite is a MOBA (multiplayer online battle arena), roughly the same type of game as DOTA and League of Legends. The main difference between Smite and all other MOBAs though, is that Smite is played in third person rather than in a top-down RTS view. That makes it play more like a shooter, with the mechanics of a MOBA. It's great.

Being a MOBA, though, it has a steep learning curve and is not friendly to beginners. Just the nature of the game, unfortunately. Anyone who's new to them faces an uphill battle just to get to a point of minimal competence.

FWIW, I've played pretty much every major MOBA except for Heroes of Newerth (including DotA, DOTA II, League of Legends, Strife, Infinite Crisis, and Heroes of the Storm), and Smite is by far my favorite of them all. Also interesting is that the playable characters in Smite are all mythological gods from a variety of pantheons, so you could have Zeus, Chaac (Mayan god of rain) and Fenrir against Thor, Bacchus (my personal favorite), and Hercules.

Actually, Thor, Bacchus, and Hercules could be pretty nasty.
                      Oh ok. Interesting. Haven't ever played any of those types of games. Never was really into RTS's. Sounds neat though.

Comment

Oh ok. Interesting. Haven't ever played any of those types of games. Never was really into RTS's. Sounds neat though.
                        Well, Smite is free-to-play, so there's no harm in trying. Let me know if you ever decide to give it a try.

Comment

r/AskHistorians is a good one. There is a stringent standard for what posts they'll allow (no bad posting!), and there's a lot of actual historians who hang around. I just read; I don't have anything to add with the standard they require.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            I consider Reddit to be for people who are beneath me.
                            This is about me, isn't it?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              This is about me, isn't it?
                              That depends. Do you ever refer to yourself, or have you ever referred to yourself as a redditor?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                                That depends. Do you ever refer to yourself, or have you ever referred to yourself as a redditor?
                                Is that somebody who edits, then realizes he missed something, and reedits?

By the way, you misspelled reedit.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment