Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The new Dr. Who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was very upset when Tennant left because he was my favorite at the time and Matt Smith did not have eyebrows.

But he's just so goofy I love it.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      It may be in part a default choice. I only saw a couple of episodes with the first doctor (recently on DVD) who did a pretty good job. I saw a bunch of the episodes with Patrick Troughton (the first one that I saw) and he did a good enough of a job to get my interest in the series. I liked Jon Pertwee but got kind of bored with his being stuck in London tooling around in his yellow roadster

So when Tom Baker took over, for me, the series finally took off and I was officially hooked. He became "the" Doctor.

Those that followed were generally disappointing although Sylvester McCoy was at least credible and Colin Baker my least favorite.

When the show restarted after going into hiatus Christopher Eccleston (the 9th doctor) was an excellent choice and I was pissed off that he wouldn't do more than one season. This left me already prejudiced against Tennant but he quickly overcame that and I really liked his portrayal.

When Tennant left I was biased against Matt Smith like I had been against Tennant. Over time I really came to like him but I still missed Tennant.

Now there is Peter Capaldi and while initially not very impressed he is growing on me.
      Eccleston was the first one I ever saw. Back when Sci-Fi channel(now Sy-Fy, or whatever) had the show on in the mornings. My first episode was with the "anti-plastic" that took down the killer mannequins. I was disappointed when he was gone, but Tennant quickly showed how well he fit the part.

Smith was okay, but his companions were a bit, meh.

Comment

#7 (Sylvester McCoy) was my favorite, because he knew where he was going and what he was doing, while still being a goofball. Ace was a great companion.

But I think #4 (Tom Baker) was overall the best Doctor.
        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

I am not sure I like the new doctor, Peter Capaldi.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I am not sure I like the new doctor, Peter Capaldi.
            I didn't care for a few of his episodes so far, but that was mainly due to the writing. I've been enjoying his episodes otherwise. I think he did a very good job in the season finale.
            " I... am... an idiot. With a box and a screwdriver, passing through, helping out, learning."
            Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm slowly getting sucked in. Kinda. My wife likes the new series, and watches all the seasons she has over the course of the winter. Since I keep seeing bits of them... I am slowly intrigued. At some point I might have to make it a point to watch them. Kind of like how I got sucked into Buffy the Vampire Slayer, although Angel I never really warmed up to.

The old series, not so much, no real interest.
                  No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Originally posted by supton View Post
                    I'm slowly getting sucked in. Kinda. My wife likes the new series, and watches all the seasons she has over the course of the winter. Since I keep seeing bits of them... I am slowly intrigued. At some point I might have to make it a point to watch them. Kind of like how I got sucked into Buffy the Vampire Slayer, although Angel I never really warmed up to.

While I'm still a big fan of the series I think that the writing has been dumbed down a good bit. I remember back when Tom Baker was playing the doctor how often I was flabbergasted with how the show turned out because I never saw it coming. The second time I'd see it I would realize that all the clues were being laid out for the audience -- but only because I knew the conclusion. Now when I watch it I can usually guess how it'll end as it seems fairly obvious.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by supton View Post

I don't remember the old series, but I think Netflicks might have it. I never made much point to sit and watch the new Dr. Who, but after I saw more episodes, I started getting intrigued and wanted to follow it.
                      I am become death...

Comment