Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Notable Quote Derail: Joel Osteen Word of Faith.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend of mine's mother went to a WoF church like Osteen's.

She developed breast cancer, wouldn't tell anyone, didn't go the doctor, and when she was finally encouraged to go because her family knew something was wrong, she was too far gone for help.

She died insisting that if she only had more faith, and that if those around her had more faith, she would be healed. And that her lack of faith and failure to speak health upon herself was killing her, not the cancer.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

That's horrible. Reminds me of the joke where a guy drowns and asks god why He didn't save him. God had sent him two boats and a helicopter. Meaning that God often uses other people to solve problems. Only a bad writer would solve all the problems in a story with deus ex machinas.
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Yup. That movement makes faith (or lack thereof, I should say) into a hammer that hits you over the head when you inevitably get sick, as we all do.

It is a terrible thing, and yet half a billion people world-wide have bought into it. Who doesn't want health and wealth spoken into existence, the same way Jesus created fish that never swam and bread from wheat that never grew when He fed the multitudes.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Yup. That movement makes faith (or lack thereof, I should say) into a hammer that hits you over the head when you inevitably get sick, as we all do.

It is a terrible thing, and yet half a billion people world-wide have bought into it. Who doesn't want health and wealth spoken into existence, the same way Jesus created fish that never swam and bread from wheat that never grew when He fed the multitudes.
          Of course we do but this is the pseudo Christian version of the neo pagan and very gnostic ideology Oprah promoted on her show called "The Secret." Supposedly whatever you encounter that's negative if you only choose to speak positive things have a positive attitude etc. You can speak everything you want into existence. Its kind of based on the laws of attraction except it uses emotion and so called metaphysical energy. I guess the shred of truth is that a person who constantly berates their ability for something can be a self fulfilling prophecy and an inhibitor but that's the only shred of truth that exists. The WoF ministry and I am targeting O Steen since he is at the forefront relies on the same thing only specifically twists scripture in order to make the gnosticism of it appear in sheep's clothing.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Franktalk
            I suspect that man is free to wallow in the temporal world and is also free to cast aside the natural world and take a spiritual path.
            This is your new Mantra, eh? And you, no doubt, are the only true disciple above the fray. You're a fraud, Frank.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              This is your new Mantra, eh? And you, no doubt, are the only true disciple above the fray. You're a fraud, Frank.
              I think one day you will come to realize that all religions are frauds. I am sure you think that all are frauds but one now. Just add one more and you are there.

Comment

Originally posted by Franktalk View Post
                I think one day you will come to realize that all religions are frauds. I am sure you think that all are frauds but one now. Just add one more and you are there.
                So, when will you be ditching the Mormon tag then?

Oh, and in case you didn't see my response to jo in the other thread, you haven't left "religion", you've just created your own. You've also created a god to go with it.

Comment

Are you now joining the ranks of the atheists?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think one day you will come to realize that all religions are frauds.
                    We're not talking about religions, Frank - it's your conduct - your deception - YOUR fraud.

I am sure you think that all are frauds but one now.
                    And you would be wrong.

Just add one more and you are there.
                    You're a fraud, Frank - you deceived Jo into believing you were "converted" to Mormonism while telling Vivian you did not convert, and you frauded the Mormon Church.

You're a fraud, plain and simple.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You're a fraud, Frank - you deceived Jo into believing you were "converted" to Mormonism while telling Vivian you did not convert
                      Among other things...
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I guess that makes you an atheist Frank. Stop posting in theist areas if that is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I guess that makes you an atheist Frank. Stop posting in theist areas if that is the case.
                          Here's what's weird... Joseph Smith claimed all religions were frauds, and started his own. Now, Frank, who fraudulently claims to be a Mormon and a follower of Joseph Smith*, even condemns his OWN religion.

*albeit Frank is far more speerchul than Smith, and can even sort out what Smith taught that was temporal as opposed to speerchul.

Comment

Here's what's weird... Joseph Smith claimed all religions were frauds, and started his own. Now, Frank, who fraudulently claims to be a Mormon and a follower of Joseph Smith*, even condemns his OWN religion.

*albeit Frank is far more speerchul than Smith, and can even sort out what Smith taught that was temporal as opposed to speerchul.
                            In all honesty I think FrakTalk's actual religion could best be described as Frankism. But then as he also said all religions are frauds.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              In all honesty I think FrakTalk's actual religion could best be described as Frankism. But then as he also said all religions are frauds.
                              Yeah, I had been wondering if Frank and Jo had become Vivianites, or maybe Jo and Vivian became Frankians....

Comment

Yeah, I had been wondering if Frank and Jo had become Vivianites, or maybe Jo and Vivian became Frankians....
                                They've become FrankJoVivians.

Comment