Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Scripture - something that's been bothering me lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    I see you removed the part of this post where you questioned me calling BP a heathen, even though that is what he calls himself.

I also see you have amened Paprika for repeatedly calling me an idiot.

What a hypocritical act.
    I questioned you calling Paprika a heathen until I learned otherwise. Had you called him a heathen, that would have been similarly derogatory. Also, I know of no way to remove an amen. I hope you have found value in jumping on that.
    I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
      I questioned you calling Paprika a heathen until I learned otherwise. Had you called him a heathen, that would have been similarly derogatory. Also, I know of no way to remove an amen. I hope you have found value in jumping on that.
      I did not call Paprika any names, and yet he repeatedly called me an idiot. There is NO way to remove an amen, so you might want to think twice before amening someone if you may decide it wasn't a good idea later on.

I doubt you would have removed the amen even if you could, though, as you seem to agree with him anyway.

You certainly jumped on me for supposedly calling Paprika a heathen. So don't you point any fingers at me for jumping on anything.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I did not call Paprika any names, and yet he repeatedly called me an idiot. There is NO way to remove an amen, so you might want to think twice before amening someone if you may decide it wasn't a good idea later on.

You certainly jumped on me for supposedly calling Paprika a heathen. So don't you point any fingers at me for jumping on anything.
        Hence why I tried to edit my post.
        Someone already cleared up my confusion about Paprika and heathen.
        You might notice I haven't been very active I've here until lately. I just learned today that you cannot remove an amen. No offense was intended.
        I am become death...

Comment

Really.

Then how about Deuteronomy 4:2

And Deuteronomy 12:32

And let's have a look at Proverbs 30:5,6

And maybe we can check out Jeremiah 26:2-6

Revelation 22 is NOT the first time that God Himself tells us not to add or subtract from His word! Or falsify, alter, mitigate or misinterpret the truths found within, or else the one who does will suffer judgment.

And the words in Revelation are directly from the mouth of Jesus Christ. Go ahead and argue with the Lord Himself if you wish. I will not.
          Mossy, every single one of these passages address alteration of what has already been (or is in the process of being) revealed - not the subsequent revelation of new scripture. None of these say that the canon is closed - and some books (particularly Revelation itself) were in dispute for centuries after the last one was written). Now, IMO the odds that the canon will be expanded are vanishingly low due to the deplorable fracturing of Christianity, but scripture says nothing about that.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Mossy, every single one of these passages address alteration of what has already been (or is in the process of being) revealed - not the subsequent revelation of new scripture. None of these say that the canon is closed - and some books (particularly Revelation itself) were in dispute for centuries after the last one was written). Now, IMO the odds that the canon will be expanded are vanishingly low due to the deplorable fracturing of Christianity, but scripture says nothing about that.
            As I said, if one doesn't believe in Sola Scriptura, they will not be convinced.

And, as in the past, you and I will have to disagree, my dear friend.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

As I said, if one doesn't believe in Sola Scriptura, they will not be convinced.

And, as in the past, you and I will have to disagree, my dear friend.
              This is not about sola scriptura as far as I can tell. It is a matter of reading scripture in context. If Deuteronomy supported the meaning you ascribe to it, then Proverbs, et al. would not be scripture.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The Law IS scripture. And scripture IS the Law of God.

The Law is part of Scripture but not all Scripture is Law.

Since you can only repeat yourself and make me repeat myself to respond to you

You resort to name calling,which I have not done, because you don't have an answer for the scriptures I have posted.
                I answered every one of them. You're just using the excuse that 'he called me an idiot' to distract and back away.

I also see you have amened Paprika for repeatedly calling me an idiot.
                Only once.

Comment

I hope you have found value in jumping on that.
                  Well, she is a fundy.

Time to draw lines: if you're not with me you're against me!

Comment

How do I know that scripture was written correctly? Not as in big floods and battles and was Jesus crucified, but like how did the apostles write the Gospels years after Christ ascended into heaven and still get the wording of the parables right? I'm looking for something other than God inspired them to write it properly (if they are quoting the Lord) and other than the the Church says so. What else do we have?
                    This depends upon what you mean by accuracy. If you compare the accounts of the three Synoptic Gospels on parables that they share, it’s obvious that we don’t have word for word accuracy.

However if you ask about a looser kind of accuracy, I am reassured by the nature of the NT and early post-NT documents. In the Synoptic Gospels we have what must have been a fairly widespread tradition, since we have three different versions with rather different perspectives, all of which agree pretty well on Jesus’ teachings. The setting of those Gospels matches what we know of the early 1st Cent. Futhermore, they differ in significant respects from all of the letters in the NT, and later Christian documents. Where could it have come from other than Jesus himself? If it had been written or seriously rewritten later, I’d expect it to have the moralistic tone of the early Church, or some of Paul’s characteristic emphases. But that kind of influence is rare.

There have been a few studies on transmission of sacred stories in Near Eastern culture. The level of accuracy we see in the Gospels is perfectly reasonable in that culture. Mark is probably 35 years after the events. Matthew and Luke are a bit later, but they seem to depend upon a common source of Jesus’ sayings which is probably as old as Mark.

I'm not prepared to make the same kind of argument for the OT.

Comment