Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

N.J. man goes out of business over 'White History Month'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    So, hearing nothing about this from the national media in March, ...
    How about taking the time to google it, Epo...

http://www.libertynews.com/2015/03/f...ry-month-sign/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/03/...n-deli-window/

http://toprightnews.com/new-jersey-d...ry-month-sign/

So, all signs point to it NOT being fake.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      All signs point to the guy being either an extremely and specifically useful idiot or a professional troll. My money's on the latter.

Comment

All signs point to the guy being either an extremely and specifically useful idiot or a professional troll. My money's on the latter.
        Since his business was already failing, I suspect the former. He was in a neighborhood with a peculiarly high price-per-square-foot for real estate running a pretty bad deli. Even before this, his Yelp reviews were pretty bad.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

If you read up on it he admits that he was already going under. This was a try for some financial aid.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I think every color should have it's own history month. Blue has some really fascinating things in its background.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

So, hearing nothing about this from the national media in March, having the tagline officially be "Then the bottom dropped out and customers were no longer coming into my deli," i.e., something no one who actually operates a business in the public eye would ever post if they were actually asking for money, having all sorts of public comments making him look as bad as possible, having the GoFundMe page be the only link to the actual issue.

All signs point to FAKE. It's pretty simple: Liberals in the media are still butthurt over the GoFundMe issue, so they're following their time-honored tradition of creating a fake victim and fake advocates/teachable contributors for that victim, so they can link that strawman to actual victims of media overreach like George Zimmerman and Memories Pizza. You should be ashamed of yourself for unthinkingly reposting it, it's like reposting a Rolling Stone article as news.
              Looks more like a real life troll to me.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
                Hmm, in a country that has more white history taught in schools than any other group, that has had the KKK and still has some neo nazis and other white supremissists popping up in a few places, if he is white (or white-ish) he should check his privilege (or perceived privilege) and market better. Celebrate your European history would have been a little better. Celebrate your German/Italian/Polish/Scandinavian/Slavik history would have been better yet.
                Maybe you should check your own privilege. Neonazis and white "supremissists" are social pariahs while racists of other races are given prominent roles in society and government. IE:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...in-their-place

The reason why West European history is taught more than any other is due to its prominent role in the development of western civilization. Regions of the world (including my country of birth) barely get a footnote because they've played little to no role in the formation of American history.

Yes, well, my white history isn't even acknowledge by my government,
                I'm assuming you're Armenian or something (lol @ Armenians thinking dey white) and it's understandable that your white history isn't taught at all since it's about as relevant to US history as the history of Mars.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Yes, well, my white history isn't even acknowledge by my government, but I learned more European history than Asian, African, or Latin American, unless much has changed since I was in school.
                  Was it labeled as European history specifically? Or was it simply major historical events that happened to influence the path toward the forming of the US?

European Americans formed the dominant people of the first American colonies, they formed a lot of inventors we learned about, the soldiers we learned about in the revolutionary and civil wars, the presidents we learned about...
                  Exactly. But it was because of what they did, not what color their skin was. And there was much in those events that intersected with other races. History classes that my children have had are replete with the events of the Native Americans, the South American empires, the African empires, the Oriental dynasties and hoards, and a host of other events that are not simply included because they are "white". It's history.

They may not have had their whiteness celebrated the way that other groups have in their "history months" but they still formed a lot of the history I learned about.
                  And I'd bet that most of those stories involved other races when they were important to the actual events. The point I am making is exactly that. There is really no such thing as "white history" outside of discussions like this.
                  American society oft equates white with Euro, whether or not this is an accurate interpretation of white.

I don't know what all went into the creation of Black/Native American/Asian history months, but I do know that there was an effort by some in the US to give people in their communities examples of people like them who did things worth looking up to. (And personally, I think the African American communities could do well to look up to educated role models more and a little less to rappers and athletes who don't people with respect or get to a better place to take care of their lives, but that is a topic for another thread.) When was the last event that you heard of using the name white to describe people? I've heard of white supremicists, but not white history events, and given the negative association along with the way that this society inaccurately equates white and Euro, it would be more effective in teaching people about culture and people to advocate for white ethnic history (Scadinavian or South Asian events anyone?) : otherwise, you might as well be against white history months, there are not events tied to it, it is more diverse than people realize, and maybe even all people deserve to be recognized or ignored on their merit and not just where they or their family are from.
                  I am become death...

Comment

UM, I just wonder why history taught in the US has to be centred on the US. It doesn't actually hurt to know stuff about the rest of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      Maybe you should check your own privilege. Neonazis and white "supremissists" are social pariahs while racists of other races are given prominent roles in society and government. IE:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...in-their-place

The reason why West European history is taught more than any other is due to its prominent role in the development of western civilization. Regions of the world (including my country of birth) barely get a footnote because they've played little to no role in the formation of American history.

I'm assuming you're Armenian or something (lol @ Armenians thinking dey white) and it's understandable that your white history isn't taught at all since it's about as relevant to US history as the history of Mars.
                      Many Armenians do look white, just like some look Middle Eastern. Their were two major legal cases in which Armenians were legally declared white. An Armenian professor was denied a job because he would not bring diversity to a Euro-white staff at a campus in the mid-west. Legally, dey white. Culturally, they associate more with the European near them than the Muslim because they are majority Christian or non-practicing cultural Christian. They look sometimes brown and have an East Mediteranian culture more than a generic Euro WASP culture. Armenian history did impact Middle Eastern events to this day and has implications toward our involvement with Turkey and their relationship to other events in the Levant that we can and have been involved in.

P.S. I check my privilege regularly, but you might want to check yours. I think it has a few screws loose.
                      I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                        UM, I just wonder why history taught in the US has to be centred on the US. It doesn't actually hurt to know stuff about the rest of the world.
                        Americans might be taught about the world outside of their hometown? Does Hollywood not do enough to entertain them? Are we not spending enough time sucking all of our money into technology and brain-numbing entertainment? Quick, someone subscribe to Hulu+/Netflicks/Amazon/others portable TV. Someone must be missing an episode from their recorded broadcasts at home. We must protect the bubble in which people live so that they can be manipulated by the powers that be.
                        I am become death...

Comment

It's to produce good (IE: non-liberal) citizens who understand the sacrifices that were made for them. You don't understand why the history of one's country is more important than the history of foreign and alien lands because your connection to the people around you has been severed. They're all just fellow travelers to you, one no more important than the other.

Comment

Many Armenians do look white, just like some look Middle Eastern. Their were two major legal cases in which Armenians were legally declared white. An Armenian professor was denied a job because he would not bring diversity to a Euro-white staff at a campus in the mid-west. Legally, dey white. Culturally, they associate more with the European near them than the Muslim because they are majority Christian or non-practicing cultural Christian. They look sometimes brown and have an East Mediteranian culture more than a generic Euro WASP culture. Armenian history did impact Middle Eastern events to this day and has implications toward our involvement with Turkey and their relationship to other events in the Levant that we can and have been involved in.
                            Not sure how notching a few Turkish scimitars impacted ME history all that much. As far as I can tell Turkey doesn't want to acknowledge it because they don't want to be flooded with Armenians demanding reparations, an understandable position, though I'd probably still side with Armenians just because I dream of one day ruling the world from my throne in Constantinople. Or rather, to follow traditional precedent, Executenople.

P.S. I check my privilege regularly, but you might want to check yours. I think it has a few screws loose.
                            Checked, the screws are right where they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              It's to produce good (IE: non-liberal) citizens who understand the sacrifices that were made for them. You don't understand why the history of one's country is more important than the history of foreign and alien lands because your connection to the people around you has been severed. They're all just fellow travelers to you, one no more important than the other.
                              You're not addressing anything I said. It's not 'either/or'. You can learn about the US AND the rest of the world too.

Comment

You're not addressing anything I said. It's not 'either/or'. You can learn about the US AND the rest of the world too.
                                Pretty sure school time's limited. Maybe you wouldn't have minded spending a couple extra hours after school once or twice a week but I'm fairly certain the rest of your class would have stuffed you into a locker.

Comment