Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

N.J. man goes out of business over 'White History Month'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    Pretty sure school time's limited. Maybe you wouldn't have minded spending a couple extra hours after school once or twice a week but I'm fairly certain the rest of your class would have stuffed you into a locker.
    Why do you think the US is 'normal'? In Oz we learned Australian history as well as Asian, European, etc. Not to a great depth of course, but so we had a broad brush understanding. Similarly with Geography. Unlike most US citizens, Australian can pick out Europe on a map.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
      Why do you think the US is 'normal'?
      Canada and Romania were the same as the US.

In Oz we learned Australian history as well as Asian, European, etc. Not to a great depth of course, but so we had a broad brush understanding. Similarly with Geography.
      To be fair teaching a bunch of kids that they're the descendants of convicts probably has the opposite effect of what history lessons would in normal countries so you have some extra time to fill.

Unlike most US citizens, Australian can pick out Europe on a map.
      It's important for lesser countries to be able to pick out all the countries that could stomp them into the ground for the sake of self-preservation. Not really a concern for the average American.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Canada and Romania were the same as the US.

To be fair teaching a bunch of kids that they're the descendants of convicts probably has the opposite effect of what history lessons would in normal countries so you have some extra time to fill.

It's important for lesser countries to be able to pick out all the countries that could stomp them into the ground for the sake of self-preservation. Not really a concern for the average American.
        You'd do better if you were more witty.

Comment

You'd do better if you were more witty.
          No amount of wit could help you do better.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

No amount of wit could help you do better.
            I'm rubber but you're glue. I mean ... seriously.

Comment

I'm rubber but you're glue. I mean ... seriously.
              Gimme something better to work with then. I think one of the biggest problems with tweb liberals is how boring most of you are, it's like drawing water from stone sometimes.

Comment

Gimme something better to work with then. I think one of the biggest problems with tweb liberals is how boring most of you are, it's like drawing water from stone sometimes.
                Yeah, must be tough.

Comment

UM, I just wonder why history taught in the US has to be centred on the US. It doesn't actually hurt to know stuff about the rest of the world.
                  In the 4 years of high school, my kids learned 1) World History I and II, 2) US History, and 3) US Government. The World History II class only minimally covered anything US specific.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
                    "White" isn't an ethnicity, is it?
                    I'm not white, I'm off-white. It's a new race, we will prevail!
                    "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      In the 4 years of high school, my kids learned 1) World History I and II, 2) US History, and 3) US Government. The World History II class only minimally covered anything US specific.
                      Same general idea I remember, from my high school days in the early 2000's. I also remember country map test and US state test (besides, how many non Americans can correctly place all 50 US states).
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment