Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

They Will Ruin Our Military!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    Between the 12 of them they have 225 confirmed kills.
    775 Confirmed Kills In One Picture
    OK, I gotta know.... 225 or 775?

But, yes, that's impressive!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      OK, I gotta know.... 225 or 775?

Ooops, 775, not 225. Fixed (my typo levels are still higher then normal because typing hurts like blazes at the moment)
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
        Ooops, 775, not 225. Fixed (my typo levels are still higher then normal because typing hurts like blazes at the moment)
        So sorry!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hear me out:

Both men and women should be in the army, however all candidates should pass the basic requirements (that even a man or a woman struggles with). If we drop standards, how exactly are people supposed to be effective in a combat situation?
          "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
          -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I support the :
          sigpic

Comment

That only looks impressive until you look at the top male snipers and they're all in the mid hundreds. Sniper kills near the end of WW2 are not particularly indicative of anything anyway since by then both the Germans and Russians were sending young kids into the fray, having run out of grown men to grind up. When you're desperate for manpower in an existential fight it might make sense to send in women but I don't think a modern volunteer military should be informed by that.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              That only looks impressive until you look at the top male snipers and they're all in the mid hundreds. Sniper kills near the end of WW2 are not particularly indicative of anything anyway since by then both the Germans and Russians were sending young kids into the fray, having run out of grown men to grind up. When you're desperate for manpower in an existential fight it might make sense to send in women but I don't think a modern volunteer military should be informed by that.

Maybe I should have said "for a girl"

Comment

Like for example, who had 505 confirmed kills during the Winter War of Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post

Like for example, who had 505 confirmed kills during the Winter War of Finland.
                  And Lyudmila Pavlichenko
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

What you're playing is.
                    We could be talking about older and younger soldiers or black and white soldiers or gay and straight soldiers or brown-eyed and blue-eyed soldiers

No, it doesn't. This isn't kindergarten. It was agreed that there were plenty of other places women could serve in the IDF, and they worked it out without your help.
                    Normally, people, including you, would agree that if someone does something wrong, they should face the consequences. In this case, people, including you, are discarding the definition of justice, but for what purpose? This is irrational behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                      Hardly. In this case excluding the vast majority of women is the most expedient solution, and many would consider not being assigned to combat a blessing.
                      It is the most expedient solution and the most convenient solution. It is not a fair or just solution.

Comment

Are you saying an all-women military would be just as effective?
                        No, I'm saying CP's argument was unsound because it supported the position he's against. His argument was that if a group degrades the unit's effectiveness, that group should be removed. If men are disobeying protocol, they are degrading the unit's effectiveness.

It's not true, my representation of your argument is pretty much perfect. You think women are entitled to being in the military and your entire idiocy is derived from that as anyone can see from subsequent posts, which is why you just give a flippant response instead of actually debating the points.
                        I do not think standards should be lowered unless they can be shown to be too strict. It is a bad thing for men to disobey orders to protect women because they risk failing the operation and jeopardizing more lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                          It is the most expedient solution and the most convenient solution. It is not a fair or just solution.
                          So you say.

Comment

We could be talking about older and younger soldiers or black and white soldiers or gay and straight soldiers or brown-eyed and blue-eyed soldiers
                            We're not.

Normally, people, including you, would agree that if someone does something wrong, they should face the consequences.
                            You are so totally clueless.

In this case, people, including you, are discarding the definition of justice, but for what purpose? This is irrational behavior.
                            It is not irrational behavior at all for a man to feel protective of a woman. It is human nature.

Comment

No, I'm saying CP's argument was unsound because it supported the position he's against. His argument was that if a group degrades the unit's effectiveness, that group should be removed. If men are disobeying protocol, they are degrading the unit's effectiveness.
                              If it was because they were gambling, or being lazy, or were acting cowardly, that would be different. They are being real men, and are acting out of a natural protective instinct.

I do not think standards should be lowered unless they can be shown to be too strict. It is a bad thing for men to disobey orders to protect women because they risk failing the operation and jeopardizing more lives.
                              What orders were they disobeying? Be specific, please.

Comment

But it IS the women who degrade the unit's effectiveness. If you remove them from the equation the unit operates at peak effectiveness. If you mix them up the effectiveness drops. If you leave just the women effectiveness drops. The only way your claim makes sense is if both women and men are of equal effectiveness, which would limit the reduction in effectiveness to male behavior.

It's also a bad thing for men not to stop artillery shells by holding out their hand in their path because they would obliterate them and hurt others around them. It doesn't change the fact that it's a behavior that needs to be overwritten (to the detriment of both the military who has to waste time and money on it and society who has to take these men back in after their service is done) for no legitimate reason.
                                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment