Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Blue Bell a Class Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several other companies have been acting in either the same or similar manner. One company here in Georgia has recalled their entire line of frozen foods and most if not all of their frozen smoothie kits after listeria was reported present on some equipment. There is no evidence whatsoever of any contamination of any food but they have chosen to err on the side of caution.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Several other companies have been acting in either the same or similar manner. One company here in Georgia has recalled their entire line of frozen foods and most if not all of their frozen smoothie kits after listeria was reported present on some equipment. There is no evidence whatsoever of any contamination of any food but they have chosen to err on the side of caution.
      Good to hear.

Yeah, but when a company does the RIGHT thing, it's not "news". We have been quite perplexed at some of the news stories the Houston Media has done on this - finding anything they can to make this an ugly story.

The three deaths, for instance, were all people who were already in the hospital with weakened immune systems. I am NOT trying to discount their deaths, not by a long shot. But some of the news reports make it sound like healthy people ate ice cream and died.

I don't know what else the Kruse family can do that they're not already doing.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
        Wes Kruse is my friend's friend. :3
        So I was hanging with your friend's friend's grandpa? Great grandpa? Great GREAT grandpa? All the Kruse folks I've ever met have been "good people".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          So I was hanging with your friend's friend's grandpa? Great grandpa? Great GREAT grandpa? All the Kruse folks I've ever met have been "good people".
          We're less than seven degrees of separation apart, CP.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
          "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
          Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
            We're less than seven degrees of separation apart, CP.
            Let's call Kevin Bacon!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Let's call Kevin Bacon!
              Did someone mention bacon?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I stopped by Blue Bell Creamery this morning. The employee parking lots were full. The guest parking lots - normally packed - had a few cars.

They have a nice big parlor set up, understandably, like an old fashioned ice cream parlor, and it was empty. Tables and chairs - no people. I have NEVER seen it empty. The gift shop was open, and I bought a couple Blue Bell coffee cups. The one I bought for my wife looks like a scaled down half gallon of Home Made Vanilla ice cream.

But - the fact that the employee parking lots were full --- they're continuing to pay their employees even while having no income stream. (except, of course, from their gift shop)

HMV Coffee Cup.jpg

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Well, it's sad news -- Blue Bell is laying off employees. They wouldn't do it if they could help it, and this indicates to me that their plans to reopen must be a bit further off than they'd like.

http://abc13.com/business/1450-blue-...g-jobs/724942/

Source: ABC13.com

BRENHAM, TX (KTRK) --
                    For the last 34 years, Jeanette Miles walked down her neighborhood block and began her daily work at the Blue Bell Plant.

"Most of the time, we'd be going in at like 3:30 in the morning, getting off at twelve o'clock. But it was alright."

Her routine stops tonight. Miles is one of 250 Blue Bell employees laid off in Brenham. She found out Friday afternoon.

"Everybody hugged each other when we left today," Miles said, "Very upset and stuff."

Local Blue Bell Spokesman Joe Robertson said both plants in Brenham - the original creamery and the newer one - have been closed since April. He is not sure when they will be able to start up production again.

"For the 300 employees that were furloughed today, we expect them to return when we start making ice cream again," Robertson said, "Beyond that, we can't commit to anything."

The company, whose production plants remain closed, said 750 full-time employees and 700 part-time workers nationwide are losing their jobs. That represents about 37 percent of its 3,900 employees. Another 1,400 workers will be furloughed but will still receive a substantial portion of their current pay. Employees essential to ongoing cleanup and repair efforts will continue working but have their pay reduced, Blue Bell said. Workers at distribution centers in 10 states will also be laid off.

© Copyright Original Source

Another local business had announced significant layoffs due to oilfield problems - low oil costs - so this will really hurt the community.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

So, we had our "Free Car Care Clinic" at Church today, and several of the people who brought their cars in were laid off last night from Blue Bell. While the guys are outside servicing the vehicle, the ladies are inside (sorry so sexist) serving coffee and generally visiting with the "customer", most of whom are women. I had told my ministry coordinator that, if the Spirit leads, they could have prayer with the folks who stop by.

When our ladies asked this one lady, who just lost her job at Blue Bell, if they could pray with her, she just burst into tears, and said she had no idea what she was going to do. Our ladies spent the next hour with her, just talking with her, praying with her, encouraging her, and assuring her that they are "in this together". We're working to figure out what else we can do to help so many people who just lost their jobs from Blue Bell, and a half other industries here that pretty much had Blue Bell as their only (or main) client.

Comment

Hmm...are they closing the plant or just reducing the number of employees?
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

http://www.examiner.com/article/blue...f-staff-let-go
                            Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                              Some of the employees are "furloughed" - temporary layoff, subject to recall. Some are "laid off", as in essentially terminated, and can reapply for their job when things turn around. I know that some of the top leadership (two of whom are in my Church) have taken very serious pay cuts because they realize they have to share the pain.

One young man in my Church just believed he would work there all his life - he worked there part time while in high school, then full time when he graduated. MANY people in our community have 20 to 25 years there, having worked there right out of high school. It's a real gut-kick to the community. There was a brand new distribution plant down near Houston that would have provided 250 jobs, and its opening was halted, and that plant lies brand new and empty.

Comment

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment