Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas Pastor Protection Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish we had had something like this in Canada 20 years ago when ss marriage was legalized.

The Liberal party in power promised that it would never allow anyone to sue churches or pastors who declined to perform said unions or to hold said ceremonies in their facilities. But they didn't write that into the legislation, said there was no need to do so.

The very first couple who decided to wed sued, got paid damages, huge damages, and it has been ongoing. That lesbian couple are now divorced, by the by, which created big issues for the government because they hadn't got that far into their figuring stuff out enough to include those divorce provisions into the law.

We were also promised that ss marriage would not trigger slippery slopes into polygamy and acceptance of other degenerate lifestyles. Guess what? They lied again.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I wish we had had something like this in Canada 20 years ago when ss marriage was legalized.

The Liberal party in power promised that it would never allow anyone to sue churches or pastors who declined to perform said unions or to hold said ceremonies in their facilities. But they didn't write that into the legislation, said there was no need to do so.

The very first couple who decided to wed sued, got paid damages, huge damages, and it has been ongoing. That lesbian couple are now divorced, by the by, which created big issues for the government because they hadn't got that far into their figuring stuff out enough to include those divorce provisions into the law.

We were also promised that ss marriage would not trigger slippery slopes into polygamy and acceptance of other degenerate lifestyles. Guess what? They lied again.
      Yet, guys like Sam insist this is all about nothing, and there's no need for this. I do not trust the GLBTQIP coalition - they are power hungry and determined to remove any obstacles in their way.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Just for the record, there seems to be some confusion as to the date this bill becomes law. I have seen sources say that, if passed, and signed by the governor, it would take effect September 1.

I believe, because it garnered "100 or more votes", it goes into effect immediately upon being signed by the governor, which MAY happen as early as today, following the required third reading in the house.

Source: WNG.com

Pastors from across the state who lobbied legislators throughout the session for a total of 10 religious liberty bills applauded yesterday’s vote but called it only a small step in a larger battle against religious liberties. The bill, which protects pastors from being sued for refusing to officiate same-sex weddings, is scheduled for a third and final reading Friday. Once passed by the House, Gov. Greg Abbott said he would sign it, putting the measure into immediate effect.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wish we had had something like this in Canada 20 years ago when ss marriage was legalized.

Wait. Are you telling me that politicians lied?!?

I'm shockinated as well.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• It looks like the Pastor Protection Bill passed the third and final reading in the Texas House, and is destined for the Governor's desk, where he has already tweeted that he will sign it.

tweet.jpg

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/billloo...4R&Bill=SB2065

As I understand it, there will be a signing ceremony to which the Pastors who signed on and testified on both the Senate and House Bills (2065 and 3567 respectively) will be invited to attend. Unfortunately, I may have to miss that due to family emergency in Ohio.
            Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-23-2015, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• It's too bad you won't be there, but your hard work helped to get it going and passed.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

We just need to look after the Church and follow God. The more society outside the Church moves away from God's plan for mankind, the more it will deteriorate. The Church needs to be the light on the hill. In the world but not of the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                  We just need to look after the Church and follow God. The more society outside the Church moves away from God's plan for mankind, the more it will deteriorate. The Church needs to be the light on the hill. In the world but not of the world.
                  And the sooner will be the Lord's return!

Comment

• Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                    Yeah. Salt and Light.

Comment

It's too bad you won't be there, but your hard work helped to get it going and passed.

OK, may not need to go to Ohio after all. Will post in my "Dad Fell" thread.

Comment

• This is odd - just as I'm getting word that the Pastor Protection Bill has been forwarded to the Governor's desk for signature, I'm seeing Houston's Mayor Parker (whose actions triggered, in large part, the need for the Pastor Protection Bill) on the platform with Governor Abbott (who will sign the Bill into law) addressing the current flooding. She seems incredibly uncomfortable and out of her element.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          This is odd - just as I'm getting word that the Pastor Protection Bill has been forwarded to the Governor's desk for signature, I'm seeing Houston's Mayor Parker (whose actions triggered, in large part, the need for the Pastor Protection Bill) on the platform with Governor Abbott (who will sign the Bill into law) addressing the current flooding. She seems incredibly uncomfortable and out of her element.
                          I can imagine that a flood of this magnitude takes priority for your governor.

And mayor dingbat is likely trying to figure a way to blame Christians or Republicans for everything.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I can imagine that a flood of this magnitude takes priority for your governor.
                            At least, THIS time, they didn't have all the hospitals' power generators and switching units in the basements.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              At least, THIS time, they didn't have all the hospitals' power generators and switching units in the basements.
                              I wonder if they did that to protect them from bad weather (lightning and tornadoes) or maybe even vandals.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                I wonder if they did that to protect them from bad weather (lightning and tornadoes) or maybe even vandals.
                                I think (as a facilities guy) they did it because it was easy. There's always a parking spot or something you can "repurpose" to some utility use, and the main power lines came in at points in the basement. It was the easiest - and most logical thing at the time - until you realize that sensitive electronic units (the switching units) do not need to be where they can be submersed in water.

I honestly don't think they ever anticipated that these basements would flood. Since then, they (particularly the hospitals) have spent megabucks putting these big caterpillar units on higher ground, and putting the switching units in upper spaces.

The last time I was "the facilities guy" for a commercial building, I had my switching units on the 6th floor, and my Caterpillar generators on the second floor of the garage. Older buildings in Houston had parking garages under the buildings - newer buildings have separate parking garages.

Comment