Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Posting vs not posting

  1. #1
    Professor Zymologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    someplace in Montana
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,253
    Amen (Given)
    1360
    Amen (Received)
    3725

    Posting vs not posting

    I find myself frequently starting a post in some thread, getting a sentence or so in, and then just axing the whole thing because either:

    1. my thought isn't fully formed, or
    2. I begin to have second thoughts about the blunt or sarcastic nature of it, or
    3. I just realize that I don't really want to involve myself in a debate on the subject.

    Does this happen to anyone else? I start and then just delete a lot more posts than I actually click Submit on. Sometimes I wonder what my posting history would look like if I was more reckless (though I don't really want to find out).
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

  2. #2
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19,668
    Amen (Given)
    5653
    Amen (Received)
    10860
    I occasionally start a response only to reconsider and not bother posting it, and every once in a while I'll delete something after posting. I do, however, frequently edit an initial response before posting it.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  3. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  4. #3
    tWebber thewriteranon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hahvahd Yahd
    Faith
    Begome Ordodox
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,246
    Amen (Given)
    201
    Amen (Received)
    819
    I wrote an entire response in French once and then decided nah. I didn't really want to get into that.

    "Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen


    Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.


  5. Amen Ana Dragule amen'd this post.
  6. #4
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    45,930
    Amen (Given)
    4392
    Amen (Received)
    20498
    Well, I have given this a lot of thought and this is what I ... oh never mind.

  7. #5
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    19,353
    Amen (Given)
    14563
    Amen (Received)
    8604
    I was going to post here and then decided not to.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  8. Amen The Melody Maker, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  9. #6
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    45,930
    Amen (Given)
    4392
    Amen (Received)
    20498
    With certain posters, like Tassman, or Whag, or Firstfloor, etc, I will start to get drawn into answering their posts and might even answer them once or twice, but as soon as it is clear that they are just trolling, or just are not really interested in an answer, I will just stop and not reply to them any more.

  10. Amen Chrawnus, mossrose, Jedidiah, MaxVel amen'd this post.
  11. #7
    Professor Zymologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    someplace in Montana
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,253
    Amen (Given)
    1360
    Amen (Received)
    3725
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    With certain posters, like Tassman, or Whag, or Firstfloor, etc, I will start to get drawn into answering their posts and might even answer them once or twice, but as soon as it is clear that they are just trolling, or just are not really interested in an answer, I will just stop and not reply to them any more.
    See, I just typed out a response to you, and then deleted it without even thinking of the irony.

    I'm actually surprised that my post count is as high as it is.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

  12. #8
    tWebber Chrawnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,573
    Amen (Given)
    4998
    Amen (Received)
    3173
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    I find myself frequently starting a post in some thread, getting a sentence or so in, and then just axing the whole thing because either:

    1. my thought isn't fully formed, or
    2. I begin to have second thoughts about the blunt or sarcastic nature of it, or
    3. I just realize that I don't really want to involve myself in a debate on the subject.

    Does this happen to anyone else? I start and then just delete a lot more posts than I actually click Submit on. Sometimes I wonder what my posting history would look like if I was more reckless (though I don't really want to find out).
    You just described my life on TWeb to a T.

    Spooky.

  13. #9
    Professor Zymologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    someplace in Montana
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,253
    Amen (Given)
    1360
    Amen (Received)
    3725
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    You just described my life on TWeb to a T.

    Spooky.
    Even our join dates and post counts are very similar...spooky indeed.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

  14. Amen Chrawnus amen'd this post.
  15. #10
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    45,930
    Amen (Given)
    4392
    Amen (Received)
    20498
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    See, I just typed out a response to you, and then deleted it without even thinking of the irony.

    I'm actually surprised that my post count is as high as it is.
    tl;dr

  16. Amen Bill the Cat amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •