Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A Fish Tale - and Fishers of Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We should all be ready to share the gospel at any time. There is no guarantee that our sharing will win someone over, but it might help someone else down the line to get through to them. Only God himself can save, through the Holy Spirit. But we should at the very least be good examples and ready to share the good news with those who will listen.

And although we should always be ready to share the gospel, we all have different jobs to play, and different gifts. I know I am not great at public evangelism (or I would have ended up as a pastor, like CP) but I am fairly good at apologetics and that is needed too. But when an opportunity presents itself, I am also ready to share the gospel one on one.

Comment

I thought about this some more over the weekend.

A guy who hits a grand slam homerun in the bottom of the ninth with two outs can talk about that with his teammates, and they will highfive him, cheer him on, and be glad they are on his team.

A Christian who really believes that Jesus meant what he said about fishers of men, however, can't discuss his latest "catch" without being slammed by some of his own fellow fishermen.

And if the fisherman should EVER question or challenge his fellow fishermen for not even showing up with a pole, Katy bar the door!

I can't help it. I believe in the great commission. I believe we all have a part. And, to be clear, I fully understand that, like Sparko, there would be people who do the apologetics, the watering, the fertilizing, the encouraging.

And when somebody "catches more fish" than me, I don't castigate or criticize him, I praise Jesus and share in his joy.

(yeah, I know, I'm a pride-filled egotistical troublemaker who's only interested in "racking up numbers")
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I thought about this some more over the weekend.

A guy who hits a grand slam homerun in the bottom of the ninth with two outs can talk about that with his teammates, and they will highfive him, cheer him on, and be glad they are on his team.

A Christian who really believes that Jesus meant what he said about fishers of men, however, can't discuss his latest "catch" without being slammed by some of his own fellow fishermen.

And if the fisherman should EVER question or challenge his fellow fishermen for not even showing up with a pole, Katy bar the door!

I can't help it. I believe in the great commission. I believe we all have a part. And, to be clear, I fully understand that, like Sparko, there would be people who do the apologetics, the watering, the fertilizing, the encouraging.

And when somebody "catches more fish" than me, I don't castigate or criticize him, I praise Jesus and share in his joy.

(yeah, I know, I'm a pride-filled egotistical troublemaker who's only interested in "racking up numbers")
        No I think you got it right. Sam avoided the issue and tried to turn it back on you. I didn't see your question as a measuring contest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          No I think you got it right. Sam avoided the issue and tried to turn it back on you. I didn't see your question as a measuring contest.
          But I think this is why a bunch of younger Christians start out on fire for Jesus, then some "older" Christian comes along and tosses a wet blanket on their fire.

It shouldn't be like that. (And I know you're certainly not doing that)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But I think this is why a bunch of younger Christians start out on fire for Jesus, then some "older" Christian comes along and tosses a wet blanket on their fire.

It shouldn't be like that. (And I know you're certainly not doing that)
            It does get discouraging when it seems like one never comes across someone willing to hear and accept the gospel.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              It does get discouraging when it seems like one never comes across someone willing to hear and accept the gospel.
              We, in Southern Baptist work, have missionaries who spent 20 to 30 years on the mission field without one single convert. Does that mean they were failures?

You keep telling about Jesus, in the power of the Holy Spirit, leaving the results to God. You never know what happens after or behind the scenes.

Comment

We should all be ready to share the gospel at any time. There is no guarantee that our sharing will win someone over, but it might help someone else down the line to get through to them. Only God himself can save, through the Holy Spirit. But we should at the very least be good examples and ready to share the good news with those who will listen.

And although we should always be ready to share the gospel, we all have different jobs to play, and different gifts. I know I am not great at public evangelism (or I would have ended up as a pastor, like CP) but I am fairly good at apologetics and that is needed too. But when an opportunity presents itself, I am also ready to share the gospel one on one.
                Pastors don't have to be great at public evangelism. They just need to do their best to shepherd their flock, and be willing to go (and speak) where the Spirit leads.

In the Orthodox prayer of ordination, the Holy Spirit is invoked to "fill up that which is lacking" in the ordinand.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

We, in Southern Baptist work, have missionaries who spent 20 to 30 years on the mission field without one single convert. Does that mean they were failures?

You keep telling about Jesus, in the power of the Holy Spirit, leaving the results to God. You never know what happens after or behind the scenes.
                  exactimundo.

I know that once I had someone come up to me and say "remember when you said xxxxx? That really got me thinking and yesterday I decided to get baptized" -- and what I said to him was completely ordinary and heck if I can even remember what it was now.

I also remember a guy named Bob who worked at the factory I worked at back in the 1980's - He was a Christian (Baptist) and wasn't afraid to let anyone know. He wasn't preachy or anything, he just had a good work ethic and treated everyone fairly and would answer any questions I had about God or Christianity (I was pretty much an agnostic back then). I was impressed by him. Years later, it was partly because of him that I became a Christian.

Comment

The old preacher stepped up to the pulpit, and with a stern look, told the congregation....

I have two statements to make this morning.

#1. Every day tens of thousands of people are dying and going to Hell, and most of you don't give a damn.

(audible gasps from the audience)

#2. Most of you are more concerned about the fact that I said damn than the fact that people are going to Hell.
                    Old, but absolutely true. Preach it, bro!
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

exactimundo.

I know that once I had someone come up to me and say "remember when you said xxxxx? That really got me thinking and yesterday I decided to get baptized" -- and what I said to him was completely ordinary and heck if I can even remember what it was now.

I also remember a guy named Bob who worked at the factory I worked at back in the 1980's - He was a Christian (Baptist) and wasn't afraid to let anyone know. He wasn't preachy or anything, he just had a good work ethic and treated everyone fairly and would answer any questions I had about God or Christianity (I was pretty much an agnostic back then). I was impressed by him. Years later, it was partly because of him that I became a Christian.
                      Yup - you never know.

From a preacher perspective....

There have been times I thought I just preached the best sermon ever preached on planet earth - Billy Graham would have been proud! And we have an altar call and nobody responds. I stand at the door, and people just smile and nod and shake hands and leave.....

Other times, even in the middle of my sermon, I'm thinking, "ok, I'm bombing bad - I should just quit and dismiss the people and go home, and give up preaching forever" --- THOSE are the times that somebody will come forward and tell me that God spoke to their heart, or somebody at the door will, even with tears, say "that Sermon really touched my life" or otherwise indicate -- often having NOTHING (in my opinion) to do with anything I said in my sermon -- that they need to make a change in their life.

It's that kind of thing that really underscores to me --- "preach the Word, be faithful, but leave the results to God".

Comment

Yup - you never know.

From a preacher perspective....

There have been times I thought I just preached the best sermon ever preached on planet earth - Billy Graham would have been proud! And we have an altar call and nobody responds. I stand at the door, and people just smile and nod and shake hands and leave.....

Other times, even in the middle of my sermon, I'm thinking, "ok, I'm bombing bad - I should just quit and dismiss the people and go home, and give up preaching forever" --- THOSE are the times that somebody will come forward and tell me that God spoke to their heart, or somebody at the door will, even with tears, say "that Sermon really touched my life" or otherwise indicate -- often having NOTHING (in my opinion) to do with anything I said in my sermon -- that they need to make a change in their life.

It's that kind of thing that really underscores to me --- "preach the Word, be faithful, but leave the results to God".
                        There have been lots of sermons I have heard where I swore the pastor must have been spying on me, or reading my thoughts. It's the Holy Spirit at work.

Comment

There have been lots of sermons I have heard where I swore the pastor must have been spying on me, or reading my thoughts. It's the Holy Spirit at work.
                          I had a guy REALLY mad at me one time, because he thought I had talked to his wife about him and "attacked him" in a sermon. I couldn't even figure out what it was I preached about that got him so mad. After about 6 months of not even talking to me, he came in to apologize, and he told me (in his own words) "It was a Holy Ghost setup". He rededicated his life and became a real asset to the Church.

Comment

I am absolutely astounded at how offended some Christians get when you ask them if they're a soul winner or not. It's like it's taboo to ask such a thing.

When did it become "gross" to talk about winning people to Jesus?
                            My brain can work on a delayed reaction and in this threads case, that what has happened.

Salvation is of the Lord lest any man boast. I think its a fair statement to say this statement extends to includes someone else's salvation. I don't think we ever "win" someone to the Lord. I don't recall Paul ever boasting about saving someone.

Our job is to proclaim the Gospel. I think that is what helps opens the path for God to work His saving grace into someone's life. I don't think we boast of saving people but tell how we proclaim the Gospel.

All that being said, if you don't want to talk about proclaim the Gospel, you probably aren't participating in soul winning either.
                            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                              My brain can work on a delayed reaction and in this threads case, that what has happened.
                              My brain often works in a delayed reaction, then forgets what the issue was.

Salvation is of the Lord lest any man boast. I think its a fair statement to say this statement extends to includes someone else's salvation. I don't think we ever "win" someone to the Lord. I don't recall Paul ever boasting about saving someone.
                              Paul didn't "boast" of "winning" people (that's an expression we use to indicate the same thing Paul was doing without saying it. ), but he certainly wrote a lot about how thankful he was for the Christians (saints) at the Churches he started or encouraged. He was very influential in the Salvation of many, and often rejoiced ("joyed and rejoiced") in their lives.

Our job is to proclaim the Gospel.
                              Yes, which is why I have REPEATEDLY said "tell them about Jesus in the Power of the Holy Spirit, leaving the results to God".

I think that is what helps opens the path for God to work His saving grace into someone's life. I don't think we boast of saving people but tell how we proclaim the Gospel.
                              I don't believe I have ever boasted about saving anybody.

All that being said, if you don't want to talk about proclaim the Gospel, you probably aren't participating in soul winning either.
                              What we often call "soul winning" is the "fishers of men" thing Jesus mentioned. You don't catch fish without casting the nets.

Comment