Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Thought I would check in as well......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jo1952 View Post
    Now, I realize that there are many who take offense at the things that I say...or may even hate me for what I say....
    For the record, Jo, I don't hate you, and never have. I don't know of a single person on Tweb who hates you. I think you're really confused, as evidenced by your drastic and frequently changing beliefs. I can't hate somebody just because they're confused.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
      Compassion for others does not cease with enlightenment. In fact, evidence would indicate that compassion becomes greater the more enlightened a being is. Practicing 'metta', lovingkindness meditation, is a holy and sacred thing. It should not be dismissed lightly.
      Can you repeat this in language I can understand. I do not accept the concept of enlightenment. I reject the concept that, "Practicing 'metta', lovingkindness meditation, is a holy and sacred thing."

If you are trying to say, being kind to others and caring about them never goes out of style. I can dig it. If you really meant some sort of mystical claptrap, I dismiss it lightly.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

L
        Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        Can you repeat this in language I can understand. I do not accept the concept of enlightenment. I reject the concept that, "Practicing 'metta', lovingkindness meditation, is a holy and sacred thing."

If you are trying to say, being kind to others and caring about them never goes out of style. I can dig it. If you really meant some sort of mystical claptrap, I dismiss it lightly.
        I was speaking partly with tongue in cheek to match the pseudo mysticism of our friends here. I am saying that care and concern for others (including prayer) is always a spiritual fruit.

And you're way too grumpy.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
          I was speaking partly with tongue in cheek to match the pseudo mysticism of our friends here. I am saying that care and concern for others (including prayer) is always a spiritual fruit.

And you're way too grumpy.
          Sorry I come across that way.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            Sorry I come across that way.
            Nah, just kidding, although you have given me an idea for a new thread.

Comment

Hi to Jo and Frank. I visit the site a few times a year, and I am glad I visited today. Good to know that you two are still okay, and still together. I wish you the best.
              "The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven...." Joseph Smith

Comment

Thanks NRA-Jeff,

Both Jean and I still follow the teachings of Joeseph Smith. Although we sort out what is said by internal seeking for truth. We have discovered that many things said by prophets were given to people because they refused the truth. Once refused a prophet comes under a rule that protects free will. They will give people the desires of their heart even if it is not truth. It is laid out in Eze 14 and was shown by example with Moses and the temporal law. The temporal law did not come from God. Moses gave the people what they wanted. They wanted to fear God. They wanted to be a chosen people. They wanted to be special by doing special ordinances and following the traditions of their fathers. When Jesus came He did away with the temporal law. For me I have stripped out everything temporal from the Old and New Testaments. I did this with the Book of Mormon as well. The D and C is mostly temporal in my opinion as well. In my opinion what is left is plain and simple.

Most people follow the temporal law thinking they are progressing towards some ideal that is pleasing to God. What really happens is they are in fact pleasing their own desires. They desire to please a God. God see us all the same so all of this effort does nothing to God but does make us feel better. Living a temporal life is not a terrible thing. But it does make one judgemental about temporal issues. None of which come from God.

Anyway nice to see your post and wish you well.

Comment

Originally posted by Franktalk View Post
                  For me I have stripped out everything temporal from the Old and New Testaments. I did this with the Book of Mormon as well. The D and C is mostly temporal in my opinion as well. In my opinion what is left is plain and simple.
                  Only Frank knows what is true. (and that keeps changing)
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by NRA-Jeff View Post
                    Hi to Jo and Frank. I visit the site a few times a year, and I am glad I visited today. Good to know that you two are still okay, and still together. I wish you the best.
                    Hello Jeff!!!

It is wonderful to know that you are also okay!!

I appreciate Joseph Smith more than ever!! What he accomplished---and everything he had to suffer as a result of his calling---sure do love him! As far as the Book of Mormon....well, I can't even begin to explain how much more significant this "Word of God" has--in my mind--become important to mankind. It all helps me to appreciate and understand much, much more about our Christ, who we are, why we exist, etc., etc. Wow...just wow...just wow!

Before I got to the point of recognizing things about the Church, I had already begun to believe that everyone is right where they need to me. Indeed, I believe this even more so now. The clues are there....Joseph Smith did right by the whole world to encourage us to look for truth everywhere.

...sigh....my soul is at rest; not just for me, but also for every single participant in this world.

Love,

Jean

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      I think I understand what is true. It is a belief. I think Jesus knew what is true, but for us we aquire faith in what we believe.

Comment

I think I understand what is true. It is a belief. I think Jesus knew what is true, but for us we aquire faith in what we believe.
                        Jesus is God. Frank is a fraud.

Comment

Jesus is God. Frank is a fraud.
                          Life is a box of chocolates CP, a box of chocolates. Some bitter and some sweet.

Comment

Here is something which does not need to be stripped from the Old Testament:

Isaiah 29:10 For the Lord hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.

11 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:

12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.

13 ¶Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

The entire passage is awesome.....the bolded words are interesting since so much of the Bible is filled with the precepts of men by virtue of how it teaches fear toward the Lord. Either this is a contradiction from the Prophet Isaiah...or there is greater understanding to be had about all of the other words in the Bible which teach fear. Interestingly, Christ refers to that very passage:

Matthew 15:7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,

8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

You teach fear of the Lord. Are you one of the wise men whose wisdom shall perish?

Comment

For those seeking the truth it can be found by following and believing in Jesus.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Life is a box of chocolates CP, a box of chocolates. Some bitter and some sweet.
                                And some a bit nutty

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X