Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tea

High Priestess of the Pot Stirrers ke7ejx's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I drink a ton of tea, especially loose leaf. I think I have 13 different ones. If it's a naturally sweet tea, I just add milk. If it's bitter like Assam (Irish Breakfast) or other oolongs then I add a little raw sugar and milk. The problem is, I now have a hard time with bagged tea. It just doesn't taste right.
    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Emeritus Professor JardinPrayer's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Glad to see this thread revived! I absolutely must have my cup of coffee in the morning, but after that, I do enjoy tea. We have one of those wood display boxes with tea bag compartments. That way, when we offer tea to guests, we don't have to overwhelm them with 20 boxes yanked out of the cupboard. It also makes them ooh and aah!

I like spice teas, and I like to try new flavors. If you have a Teavana in your local mall, those guys make tea out of the strangest things! My husband liked the strong black tea he got at his favorite Mediterranian restaurant, so he asked about it. It's called Alakozay (probably spelling that wrong), and I think it's grown in Dubai or something. He now orders it online so we can enjoy it at home. It's served with only a fresh mint leaf in the bottom of the glass.

We have friends from China who always bring us tea when they visit...what a treat!

"...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    "Teavana"?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's a store that sells tea and things related to tea. The wall behind the registers is full of cubbies with big tins. You can ask the employees to bring down any tin for a sniff before buying. They sell a nice rock sugar made entirely of beet juice. It's overpriced and indulgent and just a lovely experience to spend time there.

Faith
    Begome Ordodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Starbucks actually bought out teavana and sells teavana brand teas in store. Used to be tazo, which is what my BN still uses.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JardinPrayer View Post
    It's a store that sells tea and things related to tea. The wall behind the registers is full of cubbies with big tins. You can ask the employees to bring down any tin for a sniff before buying. They sell a nice rock sugar made entirely of beet juice. It's overpriced and indulgent and just a lovely experience to spend time there.
    Wait, what? Rock candy is just crystallized sugar. Any sugar syrup solution will do - add string and about a week. Beet juice might flavor it but only the sugar syrup will make it - so I presume this is from sugar beets at least.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    From what I'm reading, this is German Rock Sugar, made from Germanic beets (obviously sugar beets), and contains no cane sugar. Interestingly, some tout it as a wonderful sugar alternative for diabetics, but both the carb and caloric counts are higher than table sugar.

I like it for tea because it doesn't over-sweeten and it doesn't alter the flavor of the tea.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Cool.

Personally, I just like rock candy!

Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The best way to make tea is sweetened and iced using Luzianne bags. However, I like to flavor tea and I love loose leafs. Teavana is too overpriced and posh though their Jasmine Dragon Green is nothing but heavenly especially mixed or infused with peach. I have a cold brew infuser (steep in the sun with a lid for several hours, do without and you'll be cleaning bugs) I use organic rock sugar cane only. And with other brews I use honey or stevia. My preference varies. Syrupy sweet tea, while a southern staple, just tastes too candy/pancakey like, and unsweet is too bitter. I use 2/3 a cup per quart. Drink up!!!!
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    20150811_110654a.jpg

I just set up my tea/coffee corner at my place. It's fun to have it all right there near my dining room table for morning coffee and afternoon tea. When I have guests over, it's easy to serve, because the mugs and tea are right there. What I have in stock right now: McDonald's breakfast coffee, loose leaf black tea, matcha, lemon ginger tea, and pu'er tea.