Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Mrs CP's Cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

So, Mrs CP and I had another "date" at MD Anderson yesterday in Houston - several appointments with her various doctors, bone scan, other tests... all is well. She is, however, experiencing some bone loss in her left hip - bone loss being one of the hazards of one of the cancer drugs she's taking. Her doctor decided to discontinue that particular drug, and try something else. For this, Mrs CP is quite happy, because she is convinced that particular drug makes her joints ache, and generally feel pretty crappy.

This is a tough thing -- when they tell you that your chances of cancer coming back are like 15%, and a drug will decrease that probability to like 10%, is it really worth all the bad side effects of a particular drug? That's a quality of life issue only the patient can really answer. And I've just supported Mrs CP in whatever she wanted to do in this regard.

SO --- in all other ways, the visit went well, and Mrs CP is going GREAT! Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I didnt know your wife had cancer.
        sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            So, Mrs CP and I had another "date" at MD Anderson yesterday in Houston - several appointments with her various doctors, bone scan, other tests... all is well. She is, however, experiencing some bone loss in her left hip - bone loss being one of the hazards of one of the cancer drugs she's taking. Her doctor decided to discontinue that particular drug, and try something else. For this, Mrs CP is quite happy, because she is convinced that particular drug makes her joints ache, and generally feel pretty crappy.

This is a tough thing -- when they tell you that your chances of cancer coming back are like 15%, and a drug will decrease that probability to like 10%, is it really worth all the bad side effects of a particular drug? That's a quality of life issue only the patient can really answer. And I've just supported Mrs CP in whatever she wanted to do in this regard.

SO --- in all other ways, the visit went well, and Mrs CP is going GREAT! Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.
            Is it possible that the bone loss could be due to aging, as mine is?

Nonetheless, good news otherwise!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              Is it possible that the bone loss could be due to aging, as mine is?
              Only if her left hip is aging faster than her right hip. But, yeah, they take that into account, and compare it to statistical equivalents.

Nonetheless, good news otherwise!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, we spent yesterday and today in Houston at MD Anderson, with Mrs CP having a couple appointments yesterday, then a consult with her bone doctor team today.

Yesterday's appointments went well - she's still cancer-free, and improving over all, and for that we are grateful.

Today's appointment went better than she had ever hoped. Her cancer doctors had expressed concern about bone loss, hence the big consult today. Some of the hormone blockers (her cancer is hormone fed) tend to be hard on bone density, and there was a concern that she would need calcium infusions.

They kept her "back there" a lot longer than I had expected, so I was getting a little concerned. She texted me that they were doing a complete family history. (I told her to tell them all our family members are nuts)

Anyway, the reason they were taking so long is that they couldn't reconcile the other doctors' warnings about bone density with what they were actually seeing in their scans. There HAS been some hip bone density reduction, but well within the "we're not concerned about that" range - and none of the other issues the rest of the doctors had raised.

All in all - a GREAT visit (plus we stayed in the VERY nice hotel associated with cancer patients at MD Anderson) and she doesn't have to go back for ONE WHOLE YEAR!!! And the bone calcium infusion won't even be considered again for FIVE YEARS!

Praising God from whom all blessings flow!

Comment

Comment

Some more test results in. All good. In August, she can stop a couple of the meds she has been on, one of which is a culprit for bone density loss.

She needs more calcium, but doesn't like milk, so she's loading up on calcium-rich yogurt.

She's a happy camper! (And, you know what they say.... if Mama ain't happy .... )

Comment

Some more test results in. All good. In August, she can stop a couple of the meds she has been on, one of which is a culprit for bone density loss.

She needs more calcium, but doesn't like milk, so she's loading up on calcium-rich yogurt.

She's a happy camper! (And, you know what they say.... if Mama ain't happy .... )
                      I also don't like cow's milk, but have found a suitable substitute in almond milk. The Silk brand (if you get that down there) has the same amount of calcium as the 1% milk I get. There is a dark chocolate variety that is my go to.

I am not all that fond of yogurt, so decided to try the almond milk, and like it very much.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        I also don't like cow's milk, but have found a suitable substitute in almond milk. The Silk brand (if you get that down there) has the same amount of calcium as the 1% milk I get. There is a dark chocolate variety that is my go to.

I am not all that fond of yogurt, so decided to try the almond milk, and like it very much.
                        She really doesn't like milk at all. I didn't find that out til after we were married.

Comment

A magnesium supplement should be balanced with the calcium intake. As I recall, the magnesium first is needed in general for health but is also needed for proper processing of calcium in the body.

Also, if you can get gcMAF, I would recommend this. There is some controversy whether certain supplies are properly processed, but this should help curtail cancer. This is a standard thing found in your body ... but is deficient in people with cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                            A magnesium supplement should be balanced with the calcium intake. As I recall, the magnesium first is needed in general for health but is also needed for proper processing of calcium in the body.

Also, if you can get gcMAF, I would recommend this. There is some controversy whether certain supplies are properly processed, but this should help curtail cancer. This is a standard thing found in your body ... but is deficient in people with cancer.
                            Yes, on the magnesium. I'll check into the rest.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

Vitamin D is also very important to the absorbtion of calcium. I had to double my intake when I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. Of course, I live up here in the Great White North, although we do get a lot of sun even in the winter.

I'm just not out in it.

Comment

She really doesn't like milk at all. I didn't find that out til after we were married.
                                And here she married a Cow Poke.

Comment