Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Artificial Sweetners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon adds flavor to everything. It's meat candy, ergo can be used to sweeten things. Problem solved.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Bacon adds flavor to everything. It's meat candy, ergo can be used to sweeten things. Problem solved.
      Why would you want to waste perfectly good bacon as sweetener when you can just eat the bacon as it is instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        and that is how the world ends... One day a bright naturalist decides that creating left-handed sugar in a test tube is bad for you, so he develops an organic GMO sugar cane that produces left-handed sugar. Unfortunately Jed's bees like the left-handed sugar and cross-pollinate the LH Sugar cane with other plants. Pretty soon all plants are making left-handed sugars instead of right-handed, and the world starves to death.

It's all Jed's fault.
        And your point is?
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          And your point is?
          You are only doing it to get all the bacon. Share it with me or I will be forced to release the antidote: Right-footed sugar.

Comment

You are only doing it to get all the bacon. Share it with me or I will be forced to release the antidote: Right-footed sugar.
            They only use right-footed sugar in Toe Jam...
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
              They only use right-footed sugar in Toe Jam...
              and??

Comment

Too late.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Honey is good for you I like it.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I avoid fake sugar, but I try to avoid real sugar too. At one point I avoided all sugar for six weeks to see if it would cure a problem I was having--it didn't but I have found since that I just don't have a sweet tooth anymore. I am hoping as I go into summer that I keep my intake of ice cream low, as that is my one sugary vice these days. But only the smallest helping I can get.

It was amazing once i had non sweetened yogurt for a while--then tried regular fruit on the bottom stuff. About sucked the enamel off my teeth!
                    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Originally posted by supton View Post
                      It was amazing once i had non sweetened yogurt for a while--then tried regular fruit on the bottom stuff. About sucked the enamel off my teeth!
                      That's kinda like I got used to drinking diet A&W Rootbeer, then one day tried REAL Rootbeer, and it tasted like I was drinking syrup.

But now I mostly drink water with lemon, and no sweeteners at all, real or fake.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, I tried sucralose with my tea, and it seems to be fine.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

It is the only artificial sweetener I use.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                            Anybody here ever have problems with artificial sweetners? I'm wondering because I'm sensitive to them, and with diabetes in the family I kind of want to not have to use them if I should develop diabetes. So, if you've used alternatives, I'd like to know.

This intolerance seems to be genetic in my case - one of my brothers has the same problem.
                            I don't like the aftertaste of both aspartame and sucralose and both give me a headache so I avoid any 'diet' foods with those artificial sweeteners.

As for avoiding diabetes, there's probably other things you should be doing as well, in spite of your genetic predisposition. Have you asked your doctor about this?
                            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I do not detect any aftertaste in sucralose, or any side effects. However the only sucralose I use is in the protien supplement I use.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                                I don't like the aftertaste of both aspartame and sucralose and both give me a headache so I avoid any 'diet' foods with those artificial sweeteners.

As for avoiding diabetes, there's probably other things you should be doing as well, in spite of your genetic predisposition. Have you asked your doctor about this?
                                The genetic predisposition I'm referring to is about the sweetners, not the diabetes although it is a concern.
                                It's one reason I'm losing weight. As to the aftertaste, I think there is one with sucralose, but it's not as yucky as the others tend to be.
                                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X