Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What should a married Christian do when not ready to have children?

Faith
    Armo/Copticish
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    IMO, if one is "ready" to be married, then one should be "ready" for the natural consequences - i.e., children.
    Does that include medical concerns with safely carrying the child to term or is that the responsibility readiness that you speak of?
    Last edited by Ana Dragule; 04-30-2015 at 06:43 PM.
    I am become death...

Faith
    Armo/Copticish
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    You do know what they call people who rely on the rhythm system for birth control. Parents.
    If it is done right, it's pretty effective. It's something that takes some time to get down well and does not work well for women who are not very regular.
    Last edited by Ana Dragule; 04-30-2015 at 06:44 PM.
    I am become death...

3. Amen Catholicity amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Armo/Copticish
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catholicity View Post
    We tried that..... And we all know what we brought back from our honeymoon. That said if you DO use NFP research it extensively to make sure you are a good candidate for it. Otherwise I strongly believe in non hormonal dual barriers aka diaphragm and condoms or spermicide gel and a condom sponge and condom but that is more my personal philosophy that life begins AAT conception not at implantation. Some hormones prevent not just conception but implantation. Morally of course I am against this.
    There are hormonal birth controls that don't prevent implantation?
    I am become death...

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Dragule View Post
    Does that include medical concerns with safely carrying the child to term or is that the responsibility readiness that you speak of?
    If there are medical concerns with safely carrying the child to term, how would waiting help? I'm just not convinced that deliberately circumventing a natural biological function for convenience is in any way Christian.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

6. Amen Catholicity, Mr.Kott amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Darth Anglicanus
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If it is done right, it's pretty effective. It's something that takes some time to get down well and does not work well for women who are not very regular.
    Well, and the old fashioned "rhythm" method is quite different than modern forms of NFP.

In any case, I'm as regular as a calendar so it'll probably be one of my go-tos.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There are hormonal birth controls that don't prevent implantation?
    Not that I know of. The first way they work is to prevent ovulation. The second way is to make the lining of the uterus hostile to sperm. The third way is to prevent implantation. Also I am with one bad pig. I am OK with barriers because if something happens then the pregnancy can continue even if the situation is not ideal as in financial not thinking you are ready etc. After the honey moon baby we became more aware of the better NFP method which a lot of people have put a ton of research into. We have made some decisions and fingers crossed so far so good.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    IMO, if one is "ready" to be married, then one should be "ready" for the natural consequences - i.e., children.

What about people who marry later in life, or already have children from a previous relationship?
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Banned
    Faith
    Xtian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVel View Post
    What about people who marry later in life
    The main end of marriage should be to produce and rear children and not for romance/lust; focus on the latter has well sapped the meaning and social centrality of marriage.

Faith
    Armo/Copticish
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
    The main end of marriage should be to produce and rear children and not for romance/lust; focus on the latter has well sapped the meaning and social centrality of marriage.
    So like if a person can't have kids, birth defect, removed uterus, medication, whatever, they shouldn't even bother with marriage? Might as well give up dating/courtship now?

What it if is only one of produce and rear, like if they can produce a child to be adopted for an adopting couple that is willing to pay for medical expenses or if they can adopt but can't get pregnant themselves?

My understanding of 1 Cor 7:9 was that it was better to marry than to lust.
    Last edited by Ana Dragule; 05-07-2015 at 10:25 PM.
    I am become death...

12. Amen Catholicity amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVel View Post
    What about people who marry later in life, or already have children from a previous relationship?
    What would that change?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist