Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Pray 4 Hamster Superthread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had people ask me if they need to pay for a pew. Don't know how common that is. But hamster...most churches I know of will welcome you in "just to sit down". God will direct you in your paths...but you got to start.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      I've had people ask me if they need to pay for a pew. Don't know how common that is. But hamster...most churches I know of will welcome you in "just to sit down". God will direct you in your paths...but you got to start.
      That was from the 18th century.

Hammy, just go. Say hi, be polite and just go. Decide ahead of time what your answers will be (where do you work, live? what brings you to us? how are you?) to the most common questions so you won't feel pressured when they are asked. Talk to people - weather and what you liked about the building/service/sermon/et al being good 'starter' topics. Don't talk to them like they are your best friends - they may be, but every relationship needs to grow at its own pace. Ask questions about the church/denomination if appropriate. See how receptive they are to you - or not. If not, next week go elsewhere - it's their problem, not yours.

Forget the doctrinal issues for the moment. You merely want an orthodox denomination. No two people hold the exact same theology - we're too weird and God is too big for that - so let the small issues lie for the moment. Learn how to 'do' church - which is really just learning how to fellowship - then worry about their position on oath taking. If you do find that you can't remain in good conscience you leave on good terms and take the gained experience to the next church - but don't worry about that now. For now, you're just a baby on milk as far as fellowship is concerned - it's okay to start slow. It's NOT okay to not try at all - so GO!!!!

When you get to the stage that you are deciding to join, then take up any issues you may have - including your own - with the pastor. Give him a chance to get to know you so he has a better shot of meaningfully ministering to you when the time comes.

Helpful hint: they need to learn about you just as you need to learn about them BEFORE you start Christian conversation. They come with their own hurts, hang ups and habits (yes, that's from CR - it's still true) so they are also afraid - they may not be as acute, but no one enjoys rejection and no one really wants to endure suffering. Before you let them see your heart, make sure you are prepared to minister to them as well.

There are different levels of trust - start at the shallow end of the pool until you know what's in the deep end. It's okay not to trust a Christian you just met with your life - he may not be that far along yet or he may not be what he's presenting himself as. It's wise to take things slow as you learn about people. It's unwise to not ever try at all.

Don't over complicate. 'Hi, I'm Hammy. Pleased to meet you." is all you actually have to say. Try to remember at least two names - you cannot remember them all. Don't fret if you make a mistake - "Gosh, I'm sorry, that came out all wrong' is a perfectly good way out. Don't worry about what they are thinking about you - you worry about what you are thinking about them - that's the only part you can control anyhow.

It's counter intuitive but you might do better with a larger church - it's easier to blend in and not feel like everyone is looking at you (they aren't anyway - you aren't that interesting! ). A small church and yes, everyone will know you're new - and that can be a good thing, too. You know you better - think about it and go for the one you think will suit you best. If it doesn't work you just go to the other size - no big deal.

Start small - go warm up a pew. Then join a group once you have the feel of the place. If they are having some event, ask to help - cleaning a few plates is a great way to be involved!

But whatever you do - GO!!!!!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I keep making the same mistakes over and over again, is my repentance even valid anymore
        "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
          I keep making the same mistakes over and over again, is my repentance even valid anymore
          Of course it is. The fact that you acknowledged it is a mistake speaks volumes. It is when you compromise and declared it ok that it becomes a real heart issue
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I keep making the same mistakes over and over again
            That's me, in a nutshell. Everybody keeps on making mistakes. The key is to keep on getting back up again.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I keep making the same mistakes over and over again
              That's me, in a nutshell. Everybody keeps on making mistakes. The key is to keep on getting back up again.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

For most of us, we keep tripping over the same stick and fall into the same hole... but each time we trip less quickly and don't fall so deep. Maybe we can never skip in that minefield - but we do, with God's help, eventually get to where we can walk through without falling. Just keep getting back up and relying on Him.... And maybe pick you feet up a bit more...

It only sounds easy... But you are loved! Oh yeah - and we love you, too!
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

If Jesus tells Peter to forgive 7x77 times, I would think He would practice what He preaches.

"For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Yes. Just pound on Heaven's door until they let you in. That's my plan.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Wasn't that Paul's struggle in Romans 7?
                      ...because every forum needs a Jimbo

Comment