Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Pray 4 Hamster Superthread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 Cor. 10:13

No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I am proud of the life you have chosen to live Hamster. Resisting sin is often all we can do.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You are not alone. Yeah, we're here too but that's not it. You have Someone Else in your corner - He died for you, He sure as heck isn't gonna give up on you just because the going gets a bit tough. What you can't handle - which is everything, really - He can! Let Him help you, even if it's just by waiting for Him.

He's God - He can handle it!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Comment

Thanks for your prayers guys.

Originally posted by OBP
            You're not alone, hamster. We all struggle with temptation - in fact, I was talking just yesterday with my priest about dealing with temptation. And though the idea of confessing to a priest was a huge barrier to conversion, I've since found it extremely helpful.
            I actually like priest confession, that's one thing I miss about being Catholic, though I only had first confession. I'm pretty much a shut-in, I work nights so I can work alone and when I'm not at work I'm in my bedroom. Unfortunately the only contact I have with Christians is through the internet
            "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
              Thanks for your prayers guys.

I actually like priest confession, that's one thing I miss about being Catholic, though I only had first confession. I'm pretty much a shut-in, I work nights so I can work alone and when I'm not at work I'm in my bedroom. Unfortunately the only contact I have with Christians is through the internet

To quote Jamie from Mythbusters, "There's your problem!" You need fellowship with real live warm bodies that can hug and touch and set you straight if need be - you know, friends, Christian ones. The more isolated you become the harder resistance becomes.

Forget the Borg comeback - resistance is never futile with Christ in your corner! But you were made to be with others - humans don't come in 'asocial', they just don't. Christians are no exception - we need others as much, if not more, than non-Christians. Withdrawal is bad for us (this chick knows whence she speaks - I'd hide in my little corner forever if God would let me - and I'd be much the worst for it). You have GOT to make 'fellowship' a priority.

I do too know how much easier that is said than done - but do it anyway. You need it - socializing is like food to the spirit. No spiritual starvation! It's bad for you.

Granted, people socializing can be meat and potatoes but is often a junk food snack but calories is calories and we need 'em! Yes, you need God more - but He's more like air to the spirit - going without for very long makes you dead inside. You need both air and food - that's how God made us all. Pixel people can be a wonderful treat - but they can't hug you properly or really be with you like you need.

I know you know this and suspect you don't really want to hear it. Some temptations (and I don't know what you're struggling with so I'm not assuming anything here - it's just my impression) get harder to deal with with other people around and when you're already struggling, it's tempting to just avoid people altogether - tempting, but unwise. Withdrawal is a trap - you NEED other warm bodies to be around and with - so go find you some.

My best advise (had a hard time learning to accept it myself) and a virtual hug are all I can give you online. You're of course in my prayers.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

To quote Jamie from Mythbusters, "There's your problem!" You need fellowship with real live warm bodies that can hug and touch and set you straight if need be - you know, friends, Christian ones. The more isolated you become the harder resistance becomes.

Forget the Borg comeback - resistance is never futile with Christ in your corner! But you were made to be with others - humans don't come in 'asocial', they just don't. Christians are no exception - we need others as much, if not more, than non-Christians. Withdrawal is bad for us (this chick knows whence she speaks - I'd hide in my little corner forever if God would let me - and I'd be much the worst for it). You have GOT to make 'fellowship' a priority.

I do too know how much easier that is said than done - but do it anyway. You need it - socializing is like food to the spirit. No spiritual starvation! It's bad for you.

Granted, people socializing can be meat and potatoes but is often a junk food snack but calories is calories and we need 'em! Yes, you need God more - but He's more like air to the spirit - going without for very long makes you dead inside. You need both air and food - that's how God made us all. Pixel people can be a wonderful treat - but they can't hug you properly or really be with you like you need.

I know you know this and suspect you don't really want to hear it. Some temptations (and I don't know what you're struggling with so I'm not assuming anything here - it's just my impression) get harder to deal with with other people around and when you're already struggling, it's tempting to just avoid people altogether - tempting, but unwise. Withdrawal is a trap - you NEED other warm bodies to be around and with - so go find you some.

My best advise (had a hard time learning to accept it myself) and a virtual hug are all I can give you online. You're of course in my prayers.
                What she said.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Thanks for the great post

It's not that I don't want to hear that I have to go to church, it's just that I have really bad stumbling blocks. My mental health problems for starters, which are pretty severe, and also... I just don't know what church to go to or even how to "do" church. I haven't been to church since I was 14 years old when I had my first communion and confession. I wish I still agreed with Catholic tradition sometimes just so I could just continue being Catholic. I don't even know where I stand on countless issues (non-essentials, but important) or where I should even go... then there's the gay thing. Last time I tried to join a church was about six years ago. I had severe depression and a pastor agreed to speak with me because I was suicidal. It was a nice talk .. but then in a follow up e-mail I mentioned my problem with homosexuality and I never heard anything from them again. That made me feel (whether rationally or irrationally) incredibly rejected and I'm honestly really scared of anything like that happening again. I have an avoidant personality, and while not a full blown personality disorder, it's still a big part of me
                    "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Keep going to church. Find one that teaches the Bible and have fellowship. There ARE churches out that deal with the issues you talk about with love and support.
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

do I have to agree with the denomination completely? Do I just show up and sit down? They won't point me out will they? Sorry if this sounds silly...

Comment

do I have to agree with the denomination completely? Do I just show up and sit down? They won't point me out will they? Sorry if this sounds silly...
                          I think most churches will let you attend regardless of your beliefs, as long as you aren't being disruptive by challenging their beliefs. Membership/full participation will likely be more restricted to those who agree with the denomination's beliefs, however.

The Orthodox priests I know are generally willing to hear anyone's confession and offer advice, though they will only pronounce absolution for Orthodox members in good standing.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

hamster if you could come to my neck of the woods my church will let you attend no problems. in fact my pastor is a preterist. we just left PCUSA and went to another denomination that teaches the bible(one of the reasons we left PCUSA since htey don't accept the Bible as the word of God) and fellowship is good there. that is if it isn't to far for you to go.

Comment

do I have to agree with the denomination completely?
                              No, most Churches will be happy so long as you agree with the essentials of Christianity (which you do). Heck, I'm on the leadership team at my Church and my pastor knows I disagree with him on some issues, but they're not essential ones to Christianity.

That being said, if you're Charismatic and you go to a cessationist Church, expect some lively discussions with the pastor (and vice versa).

I would recommend visiting a number of churches, more than once, and finding the one you fit in. My opinion is that I would rather that you were attending A church where you are getting fellowship than not going to Church
                              Do I just show up and sit down?
                              Yes
                              They won't point me out will they?
                              Probably not. we do ask visitors to put up their hands, and then give them chocolate.
                              Sorry if this sounds silly...
                              If you don't know the answer it's not a silly question
                              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Thanks for the great post

It's not that I don't want to hear that I have to go to church, it's just that I have really bad stumbling blocks. My mental health problems for starters, which are pretty severe, and also... I just don't know what church to go to or even how to "do" church. I haven't been to church since I was 14 years old when I had my first communion and confession. I wish I still agreed with Catholic tradition sometimes just so I could just continue being Catholic. I don't even know where I stand on countless issues (non-essentials, but important) or where I should even go... then there's the gay thing. Last time I tried to join a church was about six years ago. I had severe depression and a pastor agreed to speak with me because I was suicidal. It was a nice talk .. but then in a follow up e-mail I mentioned my problem with homosexuality and I never heard anything from them again. That made me feel (whether rationally or irrationally) incredibly rejected and I'm honestly really scared of anything like that happening again. I have an avoidant personality, and while not a full blown personality disorder, it's still a big part of me
                                This breaks my heart. Just go hammy… and if they are jerks, it is them not you. I wish you were by me, I go to Scum of the Earth Church, can't much more real than that.
                                The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment