Commentary thread for "You might be a libertarian if…"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    Neither is yours anymore, it's a French flag now (i.e. bleached white)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

0000000000usa2.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Xena View Post
        YouWhile philosophically I can cheer on Rothbard when he said something like “If there was a magical button to be pushed to abolish all State infringements of liberty, I would break my finger pushing it” – realistically if that button were pushed, society would collapse.
        Permanently? In your mind, we must have the State to sustain society? It's true anyway that many people now depend on the State for subsistence, especially Social Security recipients and food stamp users. They would suffer at least in the short term were the State to suddenly cease to be one day. But after the short term, could not the society be much better once people adjust to the new situation?
        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
          Permanently? In your mind, we must have the State to sustain society? It's true anyway that many people now depend on the State for subsistence, especially Social Security recipients and food stamp users. They would suffer at least in the short term were the State to suddenly cease to be one day. But after the short term, could not the society be much better once people adjust to the new situation?
          Not sure I understand your question.
          The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Not sure I understand your question.
            TruthSeeker (formerly Augustine2004) believes there should be no government
            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

imagine there's no gubmint... it's easy if you try....
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                imagine there's no gubmint... it's easy if you try....
                I can actually.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                  Permanently? In your mind, we must have the State to sustain society?
                  I think we do. I think that any substitutions made by anarchy will just be the state under another name, and I prefer the devil I know. But I don't pretend its not the devil.

It's true anyway that many people now depend on the State for subsistence, especially Social Security recipients and food stamp users. They would suffer at least in the short term were the State to suddenly cease to be one day. But after the short term, could not the society be much better once people adjust to the new situation?
                  No. The meltdown would kill liberty. We got here by incrementalism, and I believe that is how we have to get back. Honestly, I think we are doomed, but I am willing to try. I am not willing to meltdown society.

"Get back"- wrong turn of phrase…. "get there" would be better. We have never been pure libertarian but some areas have been much better at that, and some areas much worse, like slavery.

sigpic

Comment

IMHO almost every anarchist is against all governments --- where they aren't in complete charge.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Augustine??? That explains a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]6196[/ATTACH]

Technically, it has not been confirmed. They did confirm that five of the six were still standing - something experts had doubted (Number Six was knocked over when the Apollo 11 lander took off). But the resolution, as impressive as it is, isn't good enough to see the flag faces so it remains unconfirmed that they did in fact bleach out.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I think we do. I think that any substitutions made by anarchy will just be the state under another name, and I prefer the devil I know. But I don't pretend its not the devil.
                          It's possible I do not understand what you have in mind. Perhaps you should in your response to this post give a definition of "State" before you give any example of those substitutions.

No. The meltdown would kill liberty.
                          Totally? There would still be many libertarians, and most people would still desire some liberty.

We got here by incrementalism, and I believe that is how we have to get back. Honestly, I think we are doomed, but I am willing to try. I am not willing to meltdown society.
                          Now, it's better to argue and try to win converts. As you can see, progress will be long drawn out; i.e., gradual.
                          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

And that would be what in centimetres and kilograms (you know the system the rest of the world uses)
                            That would be 193 CM and 81.65 KG. There are online conversion charts out there you know.
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

This should be a reminder not to read these sort of threads while taking a drink from a glass.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                This should be a reminder not to read these sort of threads while taking a drink from a glass.
                                Why drink out of a glass when you can drink out of a bottle?
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X