Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Stoning to death in the OT and the situation now after the NT.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    High context society. Not everything needs to be written down. For example, when Jesus says "let he who is without sin" the audience would have known He was referencing Mosaic law, not asking for a person completely without sin.
    You are correct, but I was going along the maxim of if it was not worth remembering then it wasn't worth writing down sort of thinking.
    “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      It's not irrelevant, or moot, in my (or DE's) eyes, because His lack of authority is one side of the trap. I'm afraid we're going to have to agree to disagree on this, because discussion isn't getting us anywhere.
      It's relevant to the trap. I give you that. If we grant Jesus (the man) Governor of Judea for the day authority. Do you believe He makes a different decision?

My point is, Jesus did not condone the stoning of the woman. If the reason He doesn't is because of the trap, then you can make the case that I'm wrong...but I submit, with authority, Jesus would have done the exact same thing, found a way to forgive the woman and not condemn her to death. If you disagree then we do indeed need to agree to disagree. So, yes or no, do you think Jesus does something different if He had authority to do so?
      Last edited by Littlejoe; 05-13-2015, 07:57 AM.
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Just because the point of the story isn't about his authority does not mean it's moot.

Of course it matters. Jesus could not order an execution without defying the Romans. That's why they brought an adulterous woman to him, to get him to either anger the Romans by having her executed or violate Mosaic law. This way no matter what Jesus did He'd lose face with somebody.
        Yes, you have answered with the facts of the story and thereby continued to avoid the question. Yes or no, IF Jesus has all the authority, does he do something different?
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
          It's relevant to the trap. I give you that. If we grant Jesus (the man) Governor of Judea for the day authority. Do you believe He makes a different decision?

My point is, Jesus did not condone the stoning of the woman. If the reason He doesn't is because of the trap, then you can make the case that I'm wrong...but I submit, with authority, Jesus would have done the exact same thing, found a way to forgive the woman and not condemn her to death. If you disagree then we do indeed need to agree to disagree. So, yes or no, do you think Jesus does something different if He had authority to do so?
          I don't put much stock in hypotheticals. As God, He made the law specifying death by stoning for adultery.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe
            It depends on whether you think Jesus would have felt justified in defying the Romans. But as Darth Executor said, Jesus rendered this hypothetical irrelevant.

With two witnesses, Moses said to kill her and Caesar said not to kill her. With no witnesses, neither one said to kill her.

Comment

• Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
              With two witnesses, Moses said to kill her and Caesar said not to kill her. With no witnesses, neither one said to kill her.
              That looks wrong to me. It seems to say that Jesus' opponents simply picked a woman, whether they knew or not about her sins.
              The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                Yes, you have answered with the facts of the story and thereby continued to avoid the question. Yes or no, IF Jesus has all the authority, does he do something different?
                Yes. Or rather, probably. It's unclear whether she actually did commit adultery or not.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                  That looks wrong to me. It seems to say that Jesus' opponents simply picked a woman, whether they knew or not about her sins.
                  It's possible but the text doesn't say. After all the most likely point was to show up Jesus's prowess in dealing with matters of the law at the expense of the blundering pharisees. Modern audiences focus on the woman's moral failings and side issues like forgiveness because accruing honor isn't a concern for us.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Yes. Or rather, probably. It's unclear whether she actually did commit adultery or not.
                    Fair enough...I understand your position, I disagree with it, but I understand it. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker
                      The text, i.e. the Holy Spirit, specifically says that she committed adultery. But it was never proven with any witnesses. There are cases even today where we know that someone is guilty, yet the charges have to be dropped because the police violated the law in obtaining evidence. In those cases, there are no witnesses who can testify so the person goes free.

Comment

• Any thoughts on this video on the issue? They seem to argue that certain things like stoning were part of ceremonial law that no longer applies to us under the new covenant.

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Are Christians who support it going to be willing to practically go through with it? The news has come out that Jim Bob Duggar supported capital punishment for incest when he ran for office some years ago. When it comes to his own son, though, he is siding with forgiveness instead.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                            Any thoughts on this video on the issue? They seem to argue that certain things like stoning were part of ceremonial law that no longer applies to us under the new covenant.
                            Leaving aside the point that stoning is clearly not part of ceremonial law, the video is irrelevant as no one here is arguing that we are obliged to follow Mosaic Law.

Rather, since the wise and good God saw fit to institute those punishments for a certain times and place the question is why shouldn't we follow likewise?

Comment