Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Being a religion of peace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being a religion of peace

Just a simple question:
    Does being a "peaceful religion" mean you stand there and get bullied by others?
    "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
    "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
    Just a simple question:
    Does being a "peaceful religion" mean you stand there and get bullied by others?
    Depends on who you talk to. Quakers would usually say 'yes' citing Jesus' statements and actions. On the other extreme we have people like DE and Epoetker who seem to believe in a kind of 'muscular, aggressive' form of Christianity that sees violence as necessary and virtuous in some situations.

I suspect there is a similar range in other religions. Look at Islam; nutty fundamentalists as opposed to Sufi mystics.

Comment

Just a simple question:
      Christians are to be as peaceful possible. Turn the other cheek when being personally insulted (as Christ specified). If however you are being physically harmed, you have every right to self defense.
      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
        Christians are to be as peaceful possible. Turn the other cheek when being personally insulted (as Christ specified). If however you are being physically harmed, you have every right to self defense.
        Hmm. What about the 'striking on one cheek, offer him your other cheek'? What about how Jesus responded to His beating and torture? I'm not sure the line is as clear cut as you make it.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
          Hmm. What about the 'striking on one cheek, offer him your other cheek'? What about how Jesus responded to His beating and torture? I'm not sure the line is as clear cut as you make it.
          That is what "offer the other cheek" means. You are not to return insult for insult. In ancient times, trading insults like that could start serious wars. To keep that from happening, you should "turn the other cheek". Christ responded to his beating and torture that way because that was what needed to happen. Remember he told the disciples not to resist his arrest?

There is enough in Scripture and the church fathers to claim with certainty that self defense is right for the Christian.
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Er, you do realize he told his disciples to carry swords, right?
            "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
            -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            I support the :
            sigpic

Comment

Just a simple question:
              Are you assuming that Christianity is a "peaceful religion"?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Are you assuming that Christianity is a "peaceful religion"?
                I'm assuming that Christians should be peaceful when needed but defend/fight when it's needed.
                "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                  Er, you do realize he told his disciples to carry swords, right?
                  Yeah, that's true. In fact I see a lot of mixed messages on this topic in the gospels.

Comment

Yeah, that's true. In fact I see a lot of mixed messages on this topic in the gospels.
                    You see a lot of "mixed messages" because you don't understand anything about them, assuming you even read them in the first place.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      You see a lot of "mixed messages" because you don't understand anything about them, assuming you even read them in the first place.
                      yeah that could be it. I so value your comprehensive well thought out posts.

Comment

Just a simple question:
                        No.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Once you put them in their proper context, they will no longer seem mixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                            Once you put them in their proper context, they will no longer seem mixed.
                            There are various Christian groups, like the Quakers, who read the scriptures with integrity and arrive at a position of radical non-violence. I'm not sure that position can be so easily dismissed.

Comment

There are various Christian groups, like the Quakers, who read the scriptures with integrity and arrive at a position of radical non-violence. I'm not sure that position can be so easily dismissed.
                              Reading something with honest intentions doesn't mean the conclusion is correct.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X