Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Rape Culture: Why Yes can mean No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
    This also made it's rounds around a few places. It even made it's way onto navy ships. Isn't it funny how feminists argue that most rapes happen by a person you know and also are not necessarily by knife/gun point yet this info graphic seems to suggest that men just rape women constantly and deliberately target them because they can't control themselves.

You missed the point of the image. It's a parody of advice given to women.

Comment

You do realize this statement is true by definition, right? Sex with someone too young to give legal consent is statutory rape - as is sex with someone too mentally impaired to give legal consent, too intoxicated to give legal consent or too unconscious to give legal consent.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
        Stop that - I hate it when you're all reasonable! I'm not supposed to agree with you, you evul liberal!!!!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

The problem is plenty of people get advice on how to protect themselves from becoming victims of crimes. When I go to a cash machine it tells me to look over my shoulder to make sure nobody is looking at my pin. I don't take a hissy fit and walk into the bank and cry "teach thieves not to steal". The whole point of this image is not as a parody, it is taking a hissy fit at the police who are only doing their job in giving advice to people to protect themselves.
          “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

The whole point of this image is not as a parody, it is taking a hissy fit at the police who are only doing their job in giving advice to people to protect themselves.
            Again, such feminists are promoting patriarchy: they abandon the adult responsibility of self-defense for women while demanding that men shoulder all the burden.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              You do realize this statement is true by definition, right? Sex with someone too young to give legal consent is statutory rape - as is sex with someone too mentally impaired to give legal consent, too intoxicated to give legal consent or too unconscious to give legal consent.
              I think they can get that point across better than that though. Seriously this is just not suitable for fighting such a thing. The difference in font means a lot too since the word rape is in big letters while the underage part is in small letters. Also the part "one day" seems to specify some point in the future. Ask yourself the question, who is this message actually aimed at? Who is supposed to learn anything from this?
              “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

I think they can get that point across better than that though. Seriously this is just not suitable for fighting such a thing. The difference in font means a lot too since the word rape is in big letters while the underage part is in small letters. Also the part "one day" seems to specify some point in the future. Ask yourself the question, who is this message actually aimed at? Who is supposed to learn anything from this?
                I'm pretty sure applying the label 'rape' to a 16 year old guy sleeping with a 15 year old girl is not the best way to address teenage pregnancy, but feminists gotta misuse 'rape'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                  Again, such feminists are promoting patriarchy: they abandon the adult responsibility of self-defense for women while demanding that men shoulder all the burden.
                  Don't teach me to be careful, teach murderers not to kill. We should also be teaching people not to steal, assault people or anything that's illegal......... oh wait we already do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                    I'm pretty sure applying the label 'rape' to a 16 year old guy sleeping with a 15 year old girl is not the best way to address teenage pregnancy, but feminists gotta misuse 'rape'.
                    Yes, and the image comes from a website dedicated to stop young pregnancy.

Comment

• Am I correct in thinking that if a man did this he would be instantly sacked and there would be no need to put it to a vote?

I love the fact that she is defending it as jokes when you actually banned men for a diversity event.

This is the bit I love the most.

Originally posted by News Shopper
                      A Goldsmiths Student Union spokesman said: "We have given a platform for both sides to put their case across in a balanced way and these are on our website.
                      Oh, so their side gets a say in it then.

Comment

The problem is plenty of people get advice on how to protect themselves from becoming victims of crimes. When I go to a cash machine it tells me to look over my shoulder to make sure nobody is looking at my pin. I don't take a hissy fit and walk into the bank and cry "teach thieves not to steal". The whole point of this image is not as a parody, it is taking a hissy fit at the police who are only doing their job in giving advice to people to protect themselves.
                        The advice given to women on how to avoid getting raped is often impractical, doesn't reflect how rapes really happen, and implies at least partial blame. That last part is especially bad because rape victims are, uniquely, often told that their rape was their fault and in many cases, the rapists are made out to be the real victims.

Comment

The advice given to women on how to avoid getting raped is often impractical, doesn't reflect how rapes really happen, and implies at least partial blame. That last part is especially bad because rape victims are, uniquely, often told that their rape was their fault and in many cases, the rapists are made out to be the real victims.
                          1) How does that infographic explain what you've just explained to me? Answer: It doesn't, it's just a hissy fit.

2) What on earth are you talking about in regards to the bolded part? If you mention cases in regards to false rape accusations then I'll know that you're in fact a nutcase.

Comment

• Just remember people. False rape allegations are rare. Pay no attention to the fact that four girls, not one, not two, not three but four girls can collude with each other to falsely accuse a taxi driver of rape so they don't need to pay a $13 cab fare.

However, what happened in the taxi was caught on a video camera Yasa had installed inside his car after a passenger tried to assault him a couple of years before. Based on the video evidence of what happened in his cab, Yasa was not charged.

I should point out that I've followed this case before and the CCTV footage shows that the cab driver did not even lay one single finger on the girls. He literally didn't even touch them.

Comment

1) How does that infographic explain what you've just explained to me? Answer: It doesn't, it's just a hissy fit.

2) What on earth are you talking about in regards to the bolded part? If you mention cases in regards to false rape accusations then I'll know that you're in fact a nutcase.
                              1) There really aren't any rape prevention tips. People are often raped by a family member or a friend. The idea that rape victims could have taken steps to prevent their rape goes hand-in-hand with the idea that rape victims are responsible for their rape, deserve their rape, or secretly desired their rape.

2) People will often blame rape victims for rocking the boat, tarnishing a reputation, or ruining a life. A good example of this is the reporters on CNN who grieved for the Steubenville rapists.

Comment

1) There really aren't any rape prevention tips. People are often raped by a family member or a friend. The idea that rape victims could have taken steps to prevent their rape goes hand-in-hand with the idea that rape victims are responsible for their rape, deserve their rape, or secretly desired their rape.
                                Once again, where in the infographic does it explain this? Answer: It doesn't. So whats the point in the infographic other than to have a bash at men or a hissy fit? Do you not think an infographic explaining what you said would be better?

2) People will often blame rape victims for rocking the boat, tarnishing a reputation, or ruining a life. A good example of this is the reporters on CNN who grieved for the Steubenville rapists.
                                I'm not totally familiar with that case so I will need to review it a bit more. If I remember correctly I did think it was rape since the girl was unconscious. I think a lot of people had the idea that because she seemingly consented beforehand that it was OK. And what I mean by seemingly consented was that they were under the impression that she agreed to sex beforehand. Not sure on how they judge that though. I don't hold this view however as I believe that having sex with an unconscious person is rape and there were pictures showing her to be unconscious from what I remember of the situation.

In saying that though I think that is the only case I can remember seeing something like that and I don't remember any other cases since Judge Pickles and his stupid statement.

Comment