Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Five people you can't stand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow.

Once again, Twebers prove how incapable of adult conversation they really are. If you idiots want to trade corn ball jokes made for nine year old children, go do it on the parts of this forum specifically for that. Wanna chat with a friend? Go talk on a messenger program, or use the stupid chat-box. It's better than spamming threads that people intend for a serious discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
      Wow.

Once again, Twebers prove how incapable of adult conversation they really are. If you idiots want to trade corn ball jokes made for nine year old children, go do it on the parts of this forum specifically for that. Wanna chat with a friend? Go talk on a messenger program, or use the stupid chat-box. It's better than spamming threads that people intend for a serious discussion.
      Sorry Sea of red. I will try to answer the question then, since I popped in here.

Most everyone that holds to what my beliefs are haven't made spectacles of themselves as far as I know (mostly scholars). But if we are talking of just Christians in general, then those would be:

1. Joel Osteen.

2. Benny Hinn.

3. T.D. Jakes.

4. Paula White.

5. Pretty much anyone from TBN.

Embarrassing. Every one of them.
      Last edited by Jesse; 05-13-2015, 03:25 AM.
      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Name five people that hold your theology that you can't stand that are (were) public figures.

I am an atheist and I can't stand:

1)Bill Maher
        2)David Silverman
        3)Ayn Rand
        4)Acharya S
        5)Sam Harris
        Actually, I would have a tough time answering this since I don't really place anybody specifically over anybody else but I will tell you the types of Christians that annoy me.

1) Radicals like Westboro Baptist Church
        2) YEC's who argue with fake science
        3) Happy clappy churches that teach an emotional type of Christianity and their leaders
        4) Far left liberal Christians who try to mix their faith with other religions or new age rubbish
        5) TV Evangelists who just screw people out of money

Comment

Originally posted by GakuseiDon View Post
          Acharya S doesn't classify herself as atheist or theist, so you may be happy to remove her from your list. She writes here:
          http://www.hiddenmysteries.org/autho.../atheist.shtml
          I am neither a theist nor an atheist, although, for the most part, I prefer atheists because they can think for themselves and are not as vicious as "believers."...

I categorize myself as neither of these, since I prefer to view the entire cosmos as divine and awesome. I may thus be called "pantheistic." I may also be considered a mystic, a "homo novus," or, as it were, a new woman. The mystic or gnostic does not reside in the realm of belief or disbelief. She or he knows, rather than believing. I do not need to believe in the sun. I can see it and feel it. I know it exists. I also know that there is a sentience that pervades the cosmos. I am it. You are it. The birds singing in the trees and the trees themselves are it. This sentience could be called "God," but it is not a giant man somewhere in outer space apart and aloof from creation...

I am the intellectual aspect of Kali, the destroyer, of Shiva, of Zeus the thunderer, and of Jehovah the flattener of cities. But I am also a part and parcel of the Creative Life Force that permeates the cosmos, and upon the ruined foundations of dead and rotten ideologies I build anew...

For myself, as a liberal Christian, I find it hard to think of 5 names that share something like my beliefs that I can't stand. I can't stand the megachurch Benny Hinns, but while I'm not saying Benny Hinn is not a Christian, he certainly doesn't share my beliefs. Liberal Christianity is so fuzzy-wuzzy, it's hard to think of any 'liberal Christian' belief that I would object to that I couldn't stand in another liberal Christian. I might well hate their politics, or even something more mundane like their choice of football team, etc.

It's a good question, one that I'll have to think upon.
          She's obviously an atheist if you just listen to her.

I'm not going to actually provide quotes if anybody asks. If you can't see that she's an atheist, you probably think reality television is real.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
            So you suddenly became a Christian?
            He reconverted and then deconverted in the span of one minute.
            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Wow.

I'm not sure what serious discussion you expect. Or what exactly there is to discuss. This strikes me as a pointless debasement ritual where we all take turns being the pharisee who thanks God we're not as bad as THOSE people.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                All of my people are beloved.
                All of pancreasman's people are pancreasman.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  I'm not sure what serious discussion you expect. Or what exactly there is to discuss. This strikes me as a pointless debasement ritual where we all take turns being the pharisee who thanks God we're not as bad as THOSE people.
                  To be fair I can what DE is saying here. We are basically saying here are the bad guys on my side, who are the bad guys on yours and then we talk about those people without their knowledge or input. It's not exactly a topic for serious discussion, it's just a topic of lets not be like those people.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                    To be fair I can what DE is saying here. We are basically saying here are the bad guys on my side, who are the bad guys on yours and then we talk about those people without their knowledge or input. It's not exactly a topic for serious discussion, it's just a topic of lets not be like those people.
                    Thank you.

This is exactly the purpose.

Comment

Thank you.

This is exactly the purpose.
                      OK,

So I guess the logical inference from this is to ask you to expand on your list and explain what it is you dislike about each person. A short description like I gave about what they stand for that you dislike will suffice.

Comment

OK,

So I guess the logical inference from this is to ask you to expand on your list and explain what it is you dislike about each person. A short description like I gave about what they stand for that you dislike will suffice.
                        1)Sam Harris is just an outright bigot. He advocates religious persecutions of any/all people he feels don't conform to what he sees as objective reality.
                        2)David Silverman represents pettiness, the kind that usually comes from a shallow personality.
                        3)Bill Maher is obnoxious and lacks basic understanding of religion.
                        4)Acharya S is just a con-woman.

Ayn Rand would just take too long.

Comment

1)Sam Harris is just an outright bigot. He advocates religious persecutions of any/all people he feels don't conform to what he sees as objective reality.
                          2)David Silverman represents pettiness, the kind that usually comes from a shallow personality.
                          3)Bill Maher is obnoxious and lacks basic understanding of religion.
                          4)Acharya S is just a con-woman.

Ayn Rand would just take too long.
                          Thank You

Comment

Thank You
                            Welcome.

Comment

Name five people that hold your theology that you can't stand that are (were) public figures.

I am an atheist and I can't stand:

1)Bill Maher
                              2)David Silverman
                              3)Ayn Rand
                              4)Acharya S
                              5)Sam Harris
                              I can't stand:

1) Clique churches and their snooty members who turn their noses up at anyone who isn't from the "right side of the tracks"
                              2) Joel Osteen
                              3) Pastors of black churches who are black before they are Christians
                              4) Joyce Myers
                              5) Hyper-Calvinists who think Arminians are going to hell.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                5) Hyper-Calvinists who think Arminians are going to hell.
                                You mean Arminians aren't going to hell?
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment