Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Anti-Vax Wisdom: Aspirin Cures Polio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Aspirin use in the U.S. was probably at its highest in the first half of the 20th century. So folks were taking a lot of aspirin when polio was still rampaging through the country. In fact there was a big surge in polio cases, a polio outbreak, in 1952 when you would be hard pressed to find a household without a bottle of aspirin in its medicine cabinet. Polio vaccinations started being given in massive amounts a couple years later and were temporarily suspended when complications arose in a few cases from vaccines produced by Cutter Laboratories in California. New vaccines were developed and started being introduced around 1960 -- just about the time aspirin usage (which had never once been shown to have any effect on polio) started to drop due to the introduction of acetaminophen in 1956 and even more so after the introduction of ibuprofen in 1969. As the use of aspirin steadily dropped so did cases of polio. By 1994 polio was effectively eliminated from the Americas.

So tell us again how aspirin use cures polio.
    Actually there was a big drop starting in the first half of the 20th century. Any increase before the introduction of vaccines could be attributed to increased reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by roy View Post
      clearly aspirin cures polio by being in a nearby bottle that hasn't been recently opened. Omniskeptical's dose was cured by the aspirin in his bathroom cabinet, and would have been cured even faster if he had left the aspirin where it was.

Roy
      Is that why it was always getting worse 5 days earlier? Thank british roy for his dumb conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Omniskeptical View Post
        Then it was worse.
        Nope, it was just a flu. 'Tweren't polio. So you don't know whether it was worse or not.

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
          Nope, it was just a flu. 'Twere not polio. So you don't know whether it was worse or not.
          It could have been both. I don't know of one flu that responds perfectly to aspirin. Usually one has to have a fever, and the fever isn't the only condition.

"Another 5 to 10% of people have minor symptoms such as: fever, headache, vomiting, diarrhea, neck stiffness and pains in the arms and legs." This sounds exactly like the condition that I had. Polio has flu-like symptoms, but most people get it asymptomatically. And since viruses come from bacteria attacking the human body; one could conclude, that aspirin is antibiotic to any strain of bacteria attacking the lungs and nerves. Aspirin works on Trichenella, so it has specific uses.
          Last edited by Omniskeptical; 05-24-2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Viruses do not come from bacteria. Aspirin is an anti-inflammatory, not an antibiotic. Trichinalla is caused by a parasitic worm, not a bacterium or virus, and aspirin ameliorates the symptoms and does not affect the cause.

You're a real hoot.

Comment

Actually there was a big drop starting in the first half of the 20th century. Any increase before the introduction of vaccines could be attributed to increased reporting.
              Really? That is odd considering that it was at the very end of the 19th cent. that the pharmaceutical company Bayer patents the process of adding an acetyl group to salicylic acid and thereby reducing its irritant properties. Shortly after Bayer calls acetylsalicyclic acid "Aspirin" and offers it for sale to the general public. And this, according to you, resulted in a big drop in its use?

Aspirin use did drop during WWI in the Allied[1] countries due to shortages (it couldn't be imported from Germany) but took off again after the war. And again the worst period for polio was from the mid 40s through the late 50s when aspirin use was incredibly common.

1. That would have been 1917 to 1918 in the U.S.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Viruses do not come from bacteria.
                Of course, they do.
                Aspirin is an anti-inflammatory, not an antibiotic.
                It can be both.
                Trichinalla is caused by a parasitic worm,
                It is the worm, and aspirin poisons it. The worm occurs naturally in the human body; thus you are only correct in saying it won't completely kill the worm.
                You're a real hoot.
                You lie.

But let us compare that with vaccines which can easily cause disease, how they are often comprised of dormant rather than dead bacteria, or other types of spores.

Vaccines can also easily cause autism as well if government guidelines are followed, because the vaccine is one-size-fits-all, and contains heavy metals used to put spores into dormancy.
                Last edited by Omniskeptical; 05-24-2015, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Really? That is odd considering that it was at the very end of the 19th cent. that the pharmaceutical company Bayer patents the process of adding an acetyl group to salicylic acid and thereby reducing its irritant properties. Shortly after Bayer calls acetylsalicyclic acid "Aspirin" and offers it for sale to the general public. And this, according to you, resulted in a big drop in its use?

Aspirin use did drop during WWI in the Allied[1] countries due to shortages (it couldn't be imported from Germany) but took off again after the war. And again the worst period for polio was from the mid 40s through the late 50s when aspirin use was incredibly common.

1. That would have been 1917 to 1918 in the U.S.
                  I never said aspirin dropped in usage, but during its most popular phase, pneumonia was quite common. And it was a better way of dying consider the other strong diseases caused by unsanitary conditions.

Comment

It could have been both. I don't know of one flu that responds perfectly to aspirin. Usually one has to have a fever, and the fever isn't the only condition.

"Another 5 to 10% of people have minor symptoms such as: fever, headache, vomiting, diarrhea, neck stiffness and pains in the arms and legs." This sounds exactly like the condition that I had. Polio has flu-like symptoms, but most people get it asymptomatically. And since viruses come from bacteria attacking the human body; one could conclude, that aspirin is antibiotic to any strain of bacteria attacking the lungs and nerves. Aspirin works on Trichenella, so it has specific uses.
                    I wish your posts came with a laugh track.
                    "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

Of course, they do.
                      Bacteria and viruses are very different "animals". Neither is produced by the other.

It can be both.
                      Aspirin is an anti-inflammatory and nothing more.

It is the worm, and aspirin poisons it. The worm occurs naturally in the human body; thus you are only correct in saying it won't completely kill the worm.
                      Nope, it just relieves symptoms.

You lie.
                      Reported

But let us compare that with vaccines which can easily cause disease, how they are often comprised of dormant rather than dead bacteria, or other types of spores.
                      Yes, let's. Exactly how often? And so what? And, if vaccination so easily causes disease, why is vaccine-caused disease essentially zero?

Vaccines can also easily cause autism as well if government guidelines are followed, because the vaccine is one-size-fits-all, and contains heavy metals used to put spores into dormancy.
                      Vaccines do not cause autism. Wakefield and his ilk were and are frauds. By far most vaccines do not contain any heavy metals (easily Googled), and the heavy metals in a very few have proven to be so little as to cause no harm even with tremendous overdoses.

You're still a hoot. Do you believe anything that's true?

Comment

You're a real hoot.
                        You lie.
                        No. He's right, You are a hoot (as in a barrel of laughs).

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I never said aspirin dropped in usage, but during its most popular phase, pneumonia was quite common. And it was a better way of dying consider the other strong diseases caused by unsanitary conditions.
                          Really?
                          Actually there was a big drop starting in the first half of the 20th century.

Do you want to try again?

Comment

Where did you invent that one at? From the same place that told you that you had polio and it was 'cured' by aspirin? Sorry, but this is just insanity because if it could poison a parasitic worm, it would likely poison you too. Where are you digging this nonsense up from?

You lie.

If vaccines could easily cause diseases than we should see a rise of diseases in the vaccinated, but we don't. What we actually see is that those who remain unvaccinated (do to a wide range of reasons) ended up getting diseases that the vaccinated don't end up getting. It is almost as if vaccines actually do work and you're peddling snake oil that you claim can cure diseases that it can't cure. Aspirin can't cure polio and has never been demonstrated, for the 116 years it has been on the market, to cure the diseases you claim it can cure. It is an anti-inflammatory and not an anti virial medicine. Why can't you understand basic biology?

That has already been demonstrated as 100% bogus. The amount of heave metals contained in a vaccine is less than you'll get from many other sources. Will you please stop peddling nonsense and start actually looking up your claims before you make them?
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Duragizer View Post

You're welcome.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
                                me too since I had the exact same symptoms earlier this year and my doctor diagnosed it as flu and yes I did get worse before itgot better which is why I went to my doctor who prescribed antiboiotic for a couple of days he did not prescribe aspirin. I trust his 8+ years of training more then I trust a person who gets his medical degree from quack internet sites. oh wait Omni doesn't have a medical degree, fake or otherwise does he.
                                Last edited by RumTumTugger; 05-25-2015, 04:45 PM.

Comment