Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Godincidence...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    And your opinion matters why?
    Because I represent those who haven't recieved divine messages and ended up dying in a car accident. IOW, my opinion matters just as much as yours (and also has the distinct advantage of making more sense).

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      Because I represent those who haven't recieved divine messages and ended up dying in a car accident. IOW, my opinion matters just as much as yours (and also has the distinct advantage of making more sense).
      More sense based on what? Your irrational mindset?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

More sense based on what? Your irrational mindset?
        It's more irrational to think that God made you say something that prevents a death.

Comment

It's more irrational to think that God made you say something that prevents a death.
          Only if you don't think God exists in the first place.

Comment

How do you know that? Based on what?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

How do you know that? Based on what?
              Occam's razor is sufficient for me. Basically you're saying he's alive because you uttered a pretty common thing to say. Even though you never said it before doesn't mean that God told you to do it in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                Only if you don't think God exists in the first place.
                You're coming at it from a different bias. Forget that. We understand that. Now just try to understand why skeptics would regard this incident as explicable and nothing to attribute divine intervention to. Heck, even a good percentage of Christians would be wary of calling this what seer is calling it. Seer has a tendency to think these events are absolutely mind blowing. It's a corny way to evangelize.

Comment

Occam's razor is sufficient for me. Basically you're saying he's alive because you uttered a pretty common thing to say. Even though you never said it before doesn't mean that God told you to do it in this case.
                  You mean Occam's razor as developed by the Franciscan friar and theologian William of Ockham? I doubt that he would agree with you since he believed, strongly, that God did interact with the world... Now where does your irrationality go?

Comment

You're coming at it from a different bias. Forget that. We understand that. Now just try to understand why skeptics would regard this incident as explicable and nothing to attribute divine intervention to. Heck, even a good percentage of Christians would be wary of calling this what seer is calling it. Seer has a tendency to think these events are absolutely mind blowing. It's a corny way to evangelize.
                    Did I make an absolute statement on this event bonehead? What did I actually say: This seems like more than a coincidence to me...

Comment

Did I make an absolute statement on this event bonehead? What did I actually say: This seems like more than a coincidence to me...
                      Yes, but why would you expect for skeptics to see it the way you do? You simply can't evangelize if you can't process simple skeptical objections. Calling me bonehead isn't helping you.

Comment

You mean Occam's razor as developed by the Franciscan friar and theologian William of Ockham? I doubt that he would agree with you since he believed, strongly, that God did interact with the world... Now where does your irrationality go?
                        Yes, him. And, no, just because he was a theist doesn't mean he'd advocate using this event as a possible proof that God made your son recall your admonishment to "drive carefully."

Comment

Yes, but why would you expect for skeptics to see it the way you do? You simply can't evangelize if you can't process simple skeptical objections. Calling me bonehead isn't helping you.
                          So you speak for all skeptics? Perhaps others are more open minded than you.

Comment

Yes, him. And, no, just because he was a theist doesn't mean he'd advocate using this event as a possible proof that God made your son recall your admonishment to "drive carefully."
                            And you know that how?

Comment

My best coincidence:

While in college, some fellow students and I went to another nearby college for some event. I just happened to run into a fellow high school classmate there. These colleges are practically on the other side of the country from my high school.

My high school class had 12 students.

I'm not drawing any conclusions here.
                              Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

So you speak for all skeptics? Perhaps others are more open minded than you.
                                I think it's safe to say I represent a major skeptical objection: that nothing about you uttering "drive carefully" to your son indicates a divine origin. Your son could very well have been cool and collected under pressure.

Comment