Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Godincidence...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    I think it's safe to say I represent a major skeptical objection: that nothing about you uttering "drive carefully" to your son indicates a divine origin. Your son could very well have been cool and collected under pressure.
    Or both...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Did I make an absolute statement on this event bonehead? What did I actually say: This seems like more than a coincidence to me...
      ...but because of your world-view you are predisposed to see more than coincidence in everything. It doesn't meant that it is more than coincidence.

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/essays/ess...worldview.html
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Or both...
        Because you never said "drive carefully" before? Are you serious?

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
          My best coincidence:

While in college, some fellow students and I went to another nearby college for some event. I just happened to run into a fellow high school classmate there. These colleges are practically on the other side of the country from my high school.

My high school class had 12 students.

I'm not drawing any conclusions here.
          I think that's wise. When crazy coincidences happen, it would seem the proper way to process it is to marvel at the astronomical odds of it rather than fit it into a specific interpretation that just so happens to accord with one's worldview and, moreover, is self aggrandizing. "God speaks to special ol' me. He loves my son so much, He saved his life through me."

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
            Because you never said "drive carefully" before? Are you serious?
            Re-read my OP. No I don't. Not really since he has been a teen. After all I was the one who taught him to drive, and at 36 his hasn't caused one accident.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Re-read my OP. No I don't. Not really since he has been a teen. After all I was the one who taught him to drive, and at 36 his hasn't caused one accident.
              I did:

"Last Friday before I hung up I told him to be careful driving home.I never say this. When I hung up, I wondered to myself why I did say that - and, as reported later, so did my son. Anyway, coming off one of our major highways the break line blew out on his truck and he lost all breaking ability. He was able to to finally roll to a stop, but he was safe. This seems like more than coincidence to me."

Tell me what I'm not getting.

Comment