Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Licona Tells a Demon Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    First, I apologize... I don't always explain that I'm almost deaf, so audio files don't help me. I responded to you solely because I gathered you didn't believe in demons.

Secondly, why are you discussing this at all? Especially since it appears you don't know the usual Christian view about demons anyway?
    apology accepted. again, my disbelief in incarnate demons and demon possession is irrelevent to the fact that Licona told an amazing story with fascinating implications. i apologize for exploring the subtext of that story.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      apology accepted. again, my disbelief in incarnate demons and demon possession is irrelevent to the fact that Licona told an amazing story with fascinating implications. i apologize for exploring the subtext of that story.
      The problem is whag, nobody believes you are interested in the story, but most believe you are here to troll and don't waste their time with you. Why should I or others waste our time when it is clear you're not interested in hearing anybody out anyway?
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        The problem is whag, nobody believes you are interested in the story, but most believe you are here to troll and don't waste their time with you. Why should I or others waste our time when it is clear you're not interested in hearing anybody out anyway?
        hearing anybody out on what?

Comment

hearing anybody out on what?
          Anything. You're the one that post trolling little comments like, "This is your brain on Christianity." Why should anybody waste their time on you?
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Anything. You're the one that post trolling little comments like, "This is your brain on Christianity." Why should anybody waste their time on you?
            you mean waste their time explaining how that's plausible? I brought it up because it's a funny story, not because I'm on the fence about it. I don't believe a devil assigns demons to threaten inconsequential villages because a few Muslims got converted. That is silly.

if that were true, the US would be overrun with ghouls. there are conversions aplenty all the livelong day here.

Comment

you mean waste their time explaining how that's plausible? I brought it up because it's a funny story, not because I'm on the fence about it. I don't believe a devil assigns demons to threaten inconsequential villages because a few Muslims got converted. That is silly.
              AKA you're here to mock and insult and thus a waste of time. Thanks for admitting to being an obvious troll.

if that were true, the US would be overrun with ghouls. there are conversions aplenty all the livelong day here.
              How do you know we are not? Have you ever read The Screwtape Letters? The road to hell is not one full of signs and guidepost. In reality, the road to hell is such a gentle slide that you hardly notice until it is too late. That is a major point that CS Lewis made in that book. Do you really think most or all demons would be making huge shows of it or are they much more sinister then that?
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

AKA you're here to mock and insult and thus a waste of time. Thanks for admitting to being an obvious troll.

How do you know we are not?
                Um, because those who agree that possession happens say it's rare. I don't see naked men running maniacly through the neighborhood possessed by demons. That's how the bible describes possession. If you saw that, you and Licona would conclude it's a demon possessed person that needs an exorcism. Whereas I'd conclude that person needed treatment for mental illness.

Originally posted by LPOT
                Have you ever read The Screwtape Letters? The road to hell is not one full of signs and guidepost. In reality, the road to hell is such a gentle slide that you hardly notice until it is too late. That is a major point that CS Lewis made in that book. Do you really think most or all demons would be making huge shows of it or are they much more sinister then that?
                Yes, I've read screwtape letters. It's about hell's bumbling operation to secure souls on earth. It's a funny book that's meant to be satire. Do I think it represents reality? Well let's walk through the book and discuss it. I'm game. Should we start with chapter one?

Comment

Um, because those who agree that possession happens say it's rare. I don't see naked men running maniacly through the neighborhood possessed by demons. That's how the bible describes possession. If you saw that, you and Licona would conclude it's a demon possessed person that needs an exorcism. Whereas I'd conclude that person needed treatment for mental illness.
                  Where is it stated that the majority of demons would want to possess everybody or do it very often? Second, why at you assuming that I would assume it is a 'demon possession'? Where did you get that idea from or do you have some kind of magical mind reading powers and automatically know what my responses are going to be?

Yes, I've read screwtape letters. It's about hell's bumbling operation to secure souls on earth. It's a funny book that's meant to be satire. Do I think it represents reality? Well let's walk through the book and discuss it. I'm game. Should we start with chapter one?
                  A book being a satire doesn't mean it doesn't teach you valuable things whag. It teaches a very important lesson about how evil often works. Wormwood is the classic example of how demons would be seen in culture. He wants to get people to do very evil things while Screwtape is the opposite. He says the best path to hell is the gradual one. What one do you think works better and one what is the most sinister one?

BTW No I do not want to discuss the book, chapter by chapter with you because I think you're a troll that doesn't get the message of the book to begin with.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Where is it stated that the majority of demons would want to possess everybody or do it very often?
                    You asked "How do you know we're not [overun with demons]?" I gave you my answer to that.

Second, why at you assuming that I would assume it is a 'demon possession'? Where did you get that idea from or do you have some kind of magical mind reading powers and automatically know what my responses are going to be?
                    the context has been demon possession and their accounts. you brought up the existence of non-manifest demons. I'm not arguing with that.

the context is manifestation and motive. it's not just "are demons currently floating about us" but "what powers they have and how they affect our senses." Listen to Licona's story. read about exorcism accounts.

A book being a satire doesn't mean it doesn't teach you valuable things whag. It teaches a very important lesson about how evil often works. Wormwood is the classic example of how demons would be seen in culture. He wants to get people to do very evil things while Screwtape is the opposite. He says the best path to hell is the gradual one. What one do you think works better and one what is the most sinister one?
                    they both sound sinister. going fast like Justin Beiber works great. going slow like Mel Gibson is great, too. i'm not sure what you're asking.

BTW No I do not want to discuss the book, chapter by chapter with you because I think you're a troll that doesn't get the message of the book to begin with.
                    Since you can't understand the context of this discussion, that'd honestly be for the best.

Comment