Announcement

Collapse

Wicca and Neo-Pagan Religions Guidelines

Theists only.

Which witch is which?

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Wicca/Neo Paganism. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generally not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Can somebody explain what Wicca and Neo-Pagan religions are about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somebody explain what Wicca and Neo-Pagan religions are about?

I don't live in a country where any of these religions is strong. Can somebody explain what they are about and give their perspectives on the religions?
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

It would be better if someone either within the community or who has left it answered, but to my knowledge it is something slightly different for each believer, from nature worship, to supernatural practices, for "good" occurrences. They are very individualist belief systems.
    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

I consider Pagans to be divided into two basic belief system which may be mixed. The primitive pagans do try to simulate ancient Neolithic and Early Bronze Age belief systems related to Nature worship, Animism with emphasis on the worship of the moon, sun planets and stars. Beliefs and practices vary with emphasis on European and Native American beliefs.

Classical pagans worship the Gods and Goddesses of the Classical Period of Greece and Rome, and possibly include Egyptian beliefs and practices.

Wicca is later belief systems, mixed with pagan beliefs.

Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca
      Wicca is a diverse religion with no central authority or figure defining it. It is divided into various lineages and denominations, referred to as traditions, each with its own organisational structure and level of centralisation. Due to its decentralized nature, there is some disagreement over what actually constitutes Wicca. Some traditions, collectively referred to as British Traditional Wicca, strictly follow the initiatory lineage of Gardner and consider the term Wicca to apply only to such lineaged traditions, while other eclectic traditions do not.

Wicca is typically duotheistic, worshipping a god and goddess traditionally viewed as a mother goddess and horned god. These two deities are sometimes viewed as facets of a greater pantheistic godhead. However, beliefs range from hard polytheism to even monotheism. Wiccan celebration follows approximately eight seasonally based festivals known as Sabbats. An unattributed statement known as the Wiccan Rede is the traditional basis of Wiccan morality. Wicca often involves the ritual practice of magic, though it is not always necessary.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Maybe I can do this subject some justice.

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
        I don't live in a country where any of these religions is strong. Can somebody explain what they are about and give their perspectives on the religions?
        I'm going to approach this from a somewhat historical perspective. That might help you understand the Wiccan movement better at least. In the late 19th and early 20th century a group of people became interested in the occult. The began exploring things like the Masonic Blue Lodge, Rosicrucian-ism, and other occult subjects. The also began studying Cabala. Eventually they formed a sort of religious movement called the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. This organization featured such members as Aleister Crowley, A.E. Waite (the creator of our most popular Tarot deck), and Irish writer William Butler Yeats, as well as many others. These people were members at different times of course.

One of Golden Dawn's more infamous members (not to be confused with the political party BTW) was Aleister Crowley; who once described himself as the wickedest man who had ever lived. He had a friend and admirer by the name of Gerald Gardner. Gardner was interested in magical practice but wanted to include Celtic religious elements and pagan religious elements. He was encouraged by Crowley to go forward with his idea. This gave emergence to the modern religion known as Wicca. Crowley's ideas in his Magic in Theory and Practice gave rise to other movements. One of them was Anton Lavey's Church of Satan. His idea's really have nothing to do with devil worship. They strictly oppose harming children or animals. Animals are considered equals and morally superior in many ways to humans by the Laveyan Satanist. Human beings are nothing more than an animal to this breed of Satanist. Children are sacred. They are highest form of magician; for only a child can turn a ragged doll into a beautiful baby with the power of their mind. Lavey was most critical of modern Witches not religious people. He couldn't abide people he saw as phonies. They claimed to be free from moral constraints and guilt but they were just as tied up in it as religious people were. He said that he respected Christians more because at least they were honest about it. I personally think he didn't quite understand what we believe.

I hope this is at least a little helpful. I know there is allot more to tell.

Comment

I believe that Paganism and what may be called 'Satanism' and 'Devil Worship' have diverged and Paganism today is more into variations of Nature worship, ancient Egyptian religion and Goddesses, with Astrology of various kinds. Women probably make up the majority of Paganists today.

classic Greek and Roman Paganism is not vary popular today, as it may have been in the past.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-29-2014, 04:43 PM.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Wiccans can only be delivered through the power of Jesus Christ. They are evil to be sure but they do not see themselves as evil because the devil or demonic apparitions can appear as angels of light according to II Corinthians 11:13-15 -- For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
            There are four types of giving in the Bible:

1. Tithe – Motivation is Obedience.

2. First Fruits – Motivation is Generosity.

3. Alms Giving – Motivation is Compassion.

4. Seed Giving – Motivation is Faith and Reward.

Comment