Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Another Demon thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    I have never met them. Just that if the stories are true, than said beings would be disconcerting. And the belief is that Satan is bound. Don't know about lesser spiirits. Why don't you ask jpholding? Scared???
    Satan is bound but his minions are flying about looking for an opening. Okay. I can only assume, because no one's explained it, that their goal is to kill the person they inhabit and secure that person's place in hell. I fail to understand why that method works better than malevolent deceptive tactics.

The how and the why of this hasn't been explained, so would you blame me for doubting it?

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      What's twisted is that the people who fear them most are by and large those who should have nothing to fear.
      Quite true, but people are not always rational.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Quite true, but people are not always rational.
        Hence belief in demons?

I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Hence belief in demons?

my mother in law believes that her alcoholic sister is possessed by a demon. I think that is irrational. this belief touches my wife and me personally.

I think doubting that isn't anything to be ashamed of. here's pastor David Lamb, a friend of calvary chapel's Raul Ries, explaining that demons hate Raul because he is righteous. Raul kicks and karate chops the fiends back to hell on two different occasions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13wP...e_gdata_player

Comment

Hence belief in demons?

The belief that demons are responsible for all of our ills is often irrational. We don't need demons whispering sweet nothings into our ears to do bad things.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The belief that demons are responsible for all of our ills is often irrational. We don't need demons whispering sweet nothings into our ears to do bad things.
              exactly. we needn't blame bizarre and violent behavior on them when human behavior is a sufficient explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                exactly. we needn't blame bizarre and violent behavior on them when human behavior is a sufficient explanation.
                Where in the Bible does it imply that demons are responsible for most or all of human's violent behaviors?
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Where in the Bible does it imply that demons are responsible for most or all of human's violent behaviors?
                  Maybe Whag thinks we believe that demons are behind everything, when we don't. Strawman argument Whag. There may be some that believe that, but I don't It's not an all or nothing deal.
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I never said anything like that. I'm confronting your belief that fiends overtake humans and make them act bizarre and violent. you criticized my dismissal of supposedly manifest demons (ie demon possession).

this is a thread about people like Licona and Reis who believe in manifest demons.

Comment

Maybe Whag thinks we believe that demons are behind everything, when we don't. Strawman argument Whag. There may be some that believe that, but I don't It's not an all or nothing deal.
                      nope, I never said anything close to that. I'm challenging your belief in possession as being a real thing, rather than attributable to defective primate neurology.

Comment

I never said anything like that. I'm confronting your belief that fiends overtake humans and make them act bizarre and violent. you criticized my dismissal of supposedly manifest demons (ie demon possession).
                        Have I met every last human, on the planet, that has ever done a bizarre and violent act? No I haven't, so sorry whag you seem to be rather confused here... humans being able to do bizarre and violent acts does not prove or disprove the idea something else can be responsible too.

this is a thread about people like Licona and Reis who believe in manifest demons.
                        So do they believe that ALL acts of violence are the results of demons or are you attacking a piles of burning straw because you can't refute what was actually said?
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

That's fundy thinking for you. I could see a demon pushing things one way or another, but I doubt they would need to do big things, all that often.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

nope, I never said anything close to that. I'm challenging your belief in possession as being a real thing, rather than attributable to defective primate neurology.
                            Why can't the answer be both whag? Why does it have to be one or the other?
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

That's fundy thinking for you. I could see a demon pushing things one way or another, but I doubt they would need to do big things, all that often.
                              ??? Do you mean that fundy thinking is what "demons are behind everything" is under? Indeed, Whag, please stop insisting on a false dichotomy. There's a difference between believing that demonic possession is possible, abet rare, and thinking that demons are responsible for all mental issues and evil acts.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Why can't the answer be both whag? Why does it have to be one or the other?
                                because believing one answer (demon possession) is both absurd and unhealthy. my mom in law believes her alcoholic sister is possessed. you can imagine how much help she is having that view.

why believe in demons is the question. especially manifest ones, such as the ones Licona and Reis describe.

Comment