Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Another Demon thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Whag, you are the one that keeps making a huge deal about this. Who cares? If demons do anything, they will be punished and would be kept from doing anything significant.
    Um, that's not necessarily how it works. Or did you forget about the sons of Sceva? Here's the verses just in case.

Acts 19:14 Seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. 15 One day the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know about, but who are you?” 16 Then the man who had the evil spirit jumped on them and overpowered them all. He gave them such a beating that they ran out of the house naked and bleeding.

It really depends on who is involved.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      we're in complete agreement that demons are never a helpful diagnosis to make. one wonders why you're so adamant about believing they manifest themselves in human beings at all.
      Are you done yet stuffing arguments down my throat and moving the goal post around? When you're done with that, can you let me know? Besides, if you have a bit of a cough, do you first figure you got a cold or do you figure that you got something far more serious? Why not assume you got something more serious automatically?
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

(ETA this is a reply to CBW.)

"huge deal"? i've merely linked to christian demon stories and asked subsequent questions about them. you volunteered to respond.if you don't believe demons inhabit people as described by the theologians and pastors in my links, then don't respond.

I took it by your responses that you were defending the phenomena as actual. clearly the Raul Reis story about karate chopping a demon-possessed man in his church is a lie. I want to discuss why we can be confident that demons don't inhabit people and then flee when kicked.

here pastor Roy Potter, a conservative christian, tells a horrifying demon story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9kT...e_gdata_player

of course I'd want to discuss this with someone who believes demons can invade people. the "why" and "how" of that is interesting. true or not, this topic is captivating.

that's not a huge deal by any means, though it does hit me personally since i'm currently dealing with a family member who has directly applied her belief to a family situation, blocking proper treatment of a sick person.
        Last edited by whag; 02-15-2014, 12:04 PM.

Comment