Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Aren't We Called to a Higher Standard Than This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    The better question would be: why do you guys keep voting in scumbuckets?
    Dunno. People treat it more like a popularity contest instead of demanding a resume and background checks?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
      Dunno. People treat it more like a popularity contest instead of demanding a resume and background checks?
      So you're getting what you* asked for, aren't you?

*plural

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        So, tacitly letting babies be murdered is better than having a scumbucket in his personal life that is otherwise politically astute? Morally upstanding except for his support for baby killers?

So the choice is Scumbucket A or Scumbucket B - so which issues get shrifted? Mr Morality letting baby killing continue or Mr Sleezebag doing what, exactly?

Nearly fifty years now - frankly, I'd rather have the scumbucket that doesn't kill babies since a non-scumbucket isn't an option.
        Aha. Here's at least one person who verifies my hypothesis. On a scale of scumminess, murder tops most everything else.
        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
          Aha. Here's at least one person who verifies my hypothesis. On a scale of scumminess, murder tops most everything else.
          Unless you're a Baptist Pastor! You can murder, go to prison, and return to the Ministry, but if you get DIVORCED, it's all over but the cryin!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I think sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot with single issue voting. I wonder if somebody is "pro-choice" because of peer pressure, but is not actively engaged in pushing for such legislation... I'd really have to look at the candidates and their voting records.
            I do that a lot, looking at the records to see how active they are in their positions. I tend to favor candidates that are not strongly active in the pro-life or pro-choice efforts, while weighing other issues more heavily.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Unless you're a Baptist Pastor! You can murder, go to prison, and return to the Ministry, but if you get DIVORCED, it's all over but the cryin!
              Ooh, harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
                For the sake of argument, I have in mind someone like FL's current governor, but if you don't know his record, just imagine that Scumbucket B has done every possible moral wrong that can be done in politics without going to prison for it, has done so for decades, is completely unrepentant about it, and has a new scandal every week.
                But would even all this outweigh fighting on behalf of infanticide?

I tend to think that it just might because of how little actually gets done by professed pro-life politicians, sadly.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

50% of the population has below average IQ.
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

50% of the population has below average IQ.
                    It's pretty clear that the dream of "democracy!!!!" with the underlying ideal of moral, intelligent, and informed citizens voting for good and capable leaders is dead as a doornail (if it was actually lived in the first place).

Therefore if that delusion is still held it should be abandoned so that reality can be faced.

Comment

How hard is it to get a nonscumbucket to get in office?
                      Very. Just like discipleship.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                        The better question would be: why do you guys keep voting in scumbuckets?
                        Speaking only for Florida, it's obviously a case of gross ignorance. Case in point, I have had to educate Scott's drones repeatedly that e.g., our state has a balanced budget amendment, and our governor has line item veto powers. They're almost uniformly unaware of such things.

Comment

Since the Bible discourages selfish ambition, and selfish ambition is generally what is required for a successful political career, it should be no surprise that we don't see a lot of high-level politicians practicing genuine Christianity.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            But would even all this outweigh fighting on behalf of infanticide?

I tend to think that it just might because of how little actually gets done by professed pro-life politicians, sadly.
                            Since you said that, I'll throw two other factors in the mix for consideration.

1) Suppose said politician can actually do virtually nothing to advance the pro-life agenda? (As a parallel, Scott voters here were sure he could rescue them from same-sex marriage. Ironically, it became legal in Florida, by court order, the day after his second inauguration.)

2) If, by voting for a professed pro-life candidate who is otherwise is a moral cesspool, we anger swing voters, are we effectively giving unwitting support to pro-choice candidates for years to come?

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
                              For the sake of argument, I have in mind someone like FL's current governor, but if you don't know his record, just imagine that Scumbucket B has done every possible moral wrong that can be done in politics without going to prison for it, has done so for decades, is completely unrepentant about it, and has a new scandal every week.
                              And the other one kills babies - I got that. I just don't see there being a 'lesser evil' here. Morally upstanding baby killer is an oxymoron - and why should an important issue be relegated to the opposition? I don't favor single issue voting but I don't see single issue dismissal as an appropriate response, either.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                                You can get over most wrongs - but not the one that deprives you of life. That doesn't make other wrongs right, of course, but it does make most of them easier to correct.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment