Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Youth Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    Right. The tendency to segregate by age for cell groups/bible study groups/whatever you call it is a mistake (barring young children).
    For about 3 to 4 years, I was involved with a successful Bible study group where the ages went from teen to about 70. (Ahh...the good old days. )

I agree with other posts that say the better grouping is by maturity level of the participant. Maybe another way is a group for those who want to grow in their faith and something for the others. With a wants to grow group, the immature who wants to grow is around the mature who want the same.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
      Like what bookworm said adult sessions aren't that deep either,so how will grouping us with the adults fix the problem?
      Few problems of this nature can be solved with a single solution. The adults need to be fed more meat and less milk. The church needs to focus more on growth in maturity, and less on growth in numbers (though the latter, of course, should not be neglected). The last Protestant church I attended was actually really good at that, and also did periodic sessions that deliberately mixed age groups - it wasn't dissatisfaction with my church that caused me to convert to Orthodoxy.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I think a fundamental flaw in some (perhaps the majority) of youth groups is that the "youth leaders" talk to the children with the assumption that they are in fact Christian. I think most of the youth are ignorant of Christian doctrine and have yet to experience the new birth. I think there needs to be a clear articulation of the gospel and bible-based teaching for life and practice, everything else ought to flow from that.
        Last edited by Scrawly; 05-25-2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
          I think a fundamental flaw in some (perhaps the majority) of youth groups is that the "youth leaders" talk to the children with the assumption that they are in fact Christian. I think most of the youth are ignorant of Christian doctrine and have yet to experience the new birth. I think there needs to be a clear articulation of the gospel and bible-based teaching for life and practice, everything else ought to flow from that.
          I think this can be true but is not always.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

In small group type discussions, I prefer entirely adults because when applications come up, I find that adult life experiences aren't the type that younger people can generally relate to, and I don't want us implicitly feeling pressured to limit our discussions to a certain level. There can be a mixture. Perhaps one way on Sunday mornings and the other way on Wednesday nights.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The only “youth” program I witnessed working was started by an unpaid college kid. He just befriended some High School young Christian men and met their friends from school. He then invited the the friends of the Christian high School kids to study the Bible with them (often to the surprise of the Christian High School kid). He would have the Christian High School kid devote 7 hours a week to questions he developed on the bible verses they were studying from and pray and fast a day for their friend. The College student had 6 or 7 Bible studies going on each week. With Baptisms of the nonbelievers more friends and families were added to the studies and eventually the new Christians and the old young Christian were having studies on their own without the college student. Three years later there are over 200 High School Kids leading devotionals themselves every morning at the 4 high schools in the city. The College student quit his engineering study to become a full time youth minister. Those kids really knew their Bible.

Comment

Hey, CM, let me ask you this: why do you object to an integrated approach? I really want to know.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Hey, CM, let me ask you this: why do you object to an integrated approach? I really want to know.
                  Sorry only 2 days left of school and I have the typical Senior issues so I've been busy.

Anyways, I just don't see how bringing both groups together can solve the problem when both have their own issues alone.
                  I think those should be fixed first though I do like Thoughtful Monk's idea on how the grouping should be done.
                  "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                  "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                  Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                    Sorry only 2 days left of school and I have the typical Senior issues so I've been busy.

Anyways, I just don't see how bringing both groups together can solve the problem when both have their own issues alone.
                    I think those should be fixed first though I do like Thoughtful Monk's idea on how the grouping should be done.
                    No, I appreciate the input - and I think I remember finals from way back when...

It can't - but it does address one of the issues that affects both adversely. And absolutely, those other issues must be addressed. Other than that, is there anything you object to in the basic idea?

And don't sweat it if it takes a while to get back to me - I understand.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                      For about 3 to 4 years, I was involved with a successful Bible study group where the ages went from teen to about 70. (Ahh...the good old days. )

I agree with other posts that say the better grouping is by maturity level of the participant. Maybe another way is a group for those who want to grow in their faith and something for the others. With a wants to grow group, the immature who wants to grow is around the mature who want the same.
                      Just for a quick expansion, the group for the others should be designed to try to awaken a desire to mature.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                        Just for a quick expansion, the group for the others should be designed to try to awaken a desire to mature.
                        YES!!!! That's exactly what I was thinking! Our kids have been on milksop their entire Christian lives - you can't suddenly shift to meat and expect good results BUT you have got to have a gameplan to get them from one to the other. That only works if they want it.

I'm convinced most of them have that deeper yearning - but aren't necessarily ready to admit it or able to express it. Can't rush them - but can't let them stagnate, either.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          YES!!!! That's exactly what I was thinking! Our kids have been on milksop their entire Christian lives - you can't suddenly shift to meat and expect good results BUT you have got to have a gameplan to get them from one to the other. That only works if they want it.I'm convinced most of them have that deeper yearning - but aren't necessarily ready to admit it or able to express it. Can't rush them - but can't let them stagnate, either.
                          Strangely enough, I deepened my faith by discussing and learning with older youth and adults. I don't know why exactly I get so much out of it....
                          "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                          -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          I support the :
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                            Strangely enough, I deepened my faith by discussing and learning with older youth and adults. I don't know why exactly I get so much out of it....
                            My guess is that you increased your understanding of it and come to own it as your own instead of something that was just given to you. I think its true that things you work for are more meaningful than mere gifts.

Comment

Another thing: the 'youth room' should not be done in Early American Toddler. Nor any other classroom for kids over five.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment